Jan Lindeman
Jan Lindeman  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 17:17
English to Slovak
+ ...
Mar 27, 2017

Hello,
I would like to ask you for help regarding how to proceed when one wants to move to Germany and (continue) his/her translation services as a freelance translator in Germany (in particular in Bavaria). I would need to know what steps one must take (possibly all of them) in order to be fully registered. Is the process difficult? Also, I have information and I hope it is not correct that the threshold for VAT payments is 24 000 EUR. Is that correct?
Many thanks for advice/help.<
... See more
Hello,
I would like to ask you for help regarding how to proceed when one wants to move to Germany and (continue) his/her translation services as a freelance translator in Germany (in particular in Bavaria). I would need to know what steps one must take (possibly all of them) in order to be fully registered. Is the process difficult? Also, I have information and I hope it is not correct that the threshold for VAT payments is 24 000 EUR. Is that correct?
Many thanks for advice/help.
jan
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:17
Danish to English
+ ...
Debated not long ago Mar 27, 2017

It was debated not long ago on http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/296737-working_in_germany.html .

You can probably find many answers there.

The VAT threshold is quite low, but it is often an advantage to be VAT-registered, as you get VAT paid on expenses back, while it makes no difference for outsourcers whether or not you are VAT-reg
... See more
It was debated not long ago on http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/296737-working_in_germany.html .

You can probably find many answers there.

The VAT threshold is quite low, but it is often an advantage to be VAT-registered, as you get VAT paid on expenses back, while it makes no difference for outsourcers whether or not you are VAT-registered.
Collapse

Katrin Braams
Katrin Braams  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2018)
English to German
+ ...
No special requirements Apr 8, 2017

You do not need to register yourself anywhere. There are no special requirements for working as a freelance translator in Germany, as translator is not a protected job title. Everybody can call himself/herself a translator. Only if you want to be able to certify your translations, i.e. act as a sworn translator, you will need to fulfill certain (relatively strict) requirements. Of course, this statement only applies to your question about being a translator in Germany, not to respective work/res... See more
You do not need to register yourself anywhere. There are no special requirements for working as a freelance translator in Germany, as translator is not a protected job title. Everybody can call himself/herself a translator. Only if you want to be able to certify your translations, i.e. act as a sworn translator, you will need to fulfill certain (relatively strict) requirements. Of course, this statement only applies to your question about being a translator in Germany, not to respective work/residence permits you might need if you are not a EU citizen.

The VAT treshold is 17500€.
Collapse

Mair A-W (PhD)
Mair A-W (PhD)
Germany
German to English
+ ...
registering Apr 9, 2017

GermanLaw1 wrote:

You do not need to register yourself anywhere.

Well. You need to register your residence in Germany. You also need to register as a freelancer in order to get the Steuernummer which you need to put on your invoices.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

German freelance translators based in Germany

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »