Wendy Cummings
Wendy Cummings  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 7, 2016

Hi all,

Does anyone know whether Trados 2015 (and 2017, when it is released) is a 32 bit or a 64 bit application? I know they are both compatible with 32- and 64-bit operating systems, but I want to know about the app itself.

I have a 64 bit OS, and with Trados 2011 (I think a 32-bit app) I keep running out of memory.

Thanks.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
If found in Program Files (x86), it's a 32-bit program Nov 7, 2016

Wendy Cummings wrote:

Hi all,

Does anyone know whether Trados 2015 (and 2017, when it is released) is a 32 bit or a 64 bit application? I know they are both compatible with 32- and 64-bit operating systems, but I want to know about the app itself.

I have a 64 bit OS, and with Trados 2011 (I think a 32-bit app) I keep running out of memory.

Thanks.

Hello, Wendy,

I'm afraid SDL Trados is installed as a 32-bit program by default. Check your computer at:

c:/Windows/Program Files/

where 64-bit programs reside

If, on the other hand, you find the SDL or Trados folder here:

C:/Windows/Program Files (x86)/

chances are Trados is a 32-bit program

Now, when a program runs out of memory, you might have one or more causes, not just a 32- or 64-bit memory program as the culprit. How much RAM do you have? What other programs start up with Windows and stay in the background?

By default, MultiTerm stays in the background after installation. If you don't need it or use it, just uninstall it or prevent it from starting up with Windows. Also, right click on the bottom row in Windows 7 to open Task Manager and check which program is eating up RAM memory the most:

Further, if you want to check how much RAM you got, you can click on the Performance tab:

I hope this helps.

Mario Chávez

[Edited at 2016-11-07 11:14 GMT]

Wendy Cummings
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
and 2015/2017? Nov 7, 2016

Hi Mario,

I specifically want to know about 2015 and 2017. Trados 2011 is installed as a 32 bit, but I want to know whether SDL have updated to 64-bit with the newer releases.

Wendy

Glyn Lloyd-Jones
Glyn Lloyd-Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2015)
Italian to English
2015 is 32-bit Nov 7, 2016

Studio 2015 is running as a 32-bit application on my 64-bit Windows PC and I can't find anything that suggests 2017 will be 64-bit in the pre-release blurb either.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oops Nov 7, 2016

Wendy Cummings wrote:

Hi Mario,

I specifically want to know about 2015 and 2017. Trados 2011 is installed as a 32 bit, but I want to know whether SDL have updated to 64-bit with the newer releases.

Wendy

You're right. I run version 2014, which installed strictly as a 32-bit application.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:11
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
32 bit Nov 9, 2016

Wendy Cummings wrote:

Does anyone know whether Trados 2015 (and 2017, when it is released) is a 32 bit or a 64 bit application?

Both Studio 2015 and 2017 are 32-bit programs.

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Now what? Nov 9, 2016

Wendy Cummings wrote:

Does anyone know whether Trados 2015 (and 2017, when it is released) is a 32 bit or a 64 bit application?

You did get the info you wanted. Now what? What does it mean? I would really be interested what it means to you and how it will influence your potential decisions.

In my opinion it means nothing. Studio 2011/14/15 alway were 32 bit applications, I never had any problems with running them on Win7 64 Bit. What secret 64 Bit OS are you referring too, how much RAM are you using etc.? In my opinion it is quite likely that the problem you describe has nothing at all to do with SDL Studio being a 32 bit application.

Wendy Cummings
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My problem Nov 9, 2016

Siegfried Armbruster wrote:

You did get the info you wanted. Now what? What does it mean? I would really be interested what it means to you and how it will influence your potential decisions.

A 64 bit compatible application is one that runs in a stable manner on a 64 bit platform such as Win7 64 bit.
A 64 bit application is one that has been compiled as a 64 bit executable, and thus has access to a 64 bit memory space on the operating system

My issue is that the Trados application runs out of memory regularly. This is evidenced by the out of memory exceptions I see on a weekly basis.

I have 8gb of physical ram, which Windows backs with plenty of virtual memory. The issue is not running out of physical memory (as it very rarely is on an OS that utilizes virtual memory).

My current Trados is crashing and it is a 32 bit application. i.e. it has been compiled in 32 bit mode, and has access to a 32 bit memory space. This is evidenced by the fact that when viewed in task manager or another process monitor, it runs natively as a 32 bit app. As a result, regardless of physical memory, the application itself can only reference up to a theoretical 2GB address space, though typically on windows a 32 bit application will fail at around the 1.5GB limit. This again can be seen to happen when monitoring the memory use of Trados and the point at which it becomes unstable.

I wanted to know about the more recent builds of Trados and whether they have been upgraded to an actual 64 bit application, so that they have access to the full address space. This is relevant, as it will hopefully let me discern whether a more modern version of Trados is less likely to crash due to the OOM exceptions that seriously disrupt my workflow.

Clearly it would also be useful to know whether any other modifications to more modern versions of Trados result in higher/lower memory use, specifically as I want to avoid upgrading to a less stable version of the application.

Fredrik N

Siegfried Armbruster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Sounds strange Nov 9, 2016

Sorry, but it does sound strange. I have no idea about your setup, but I can tell you that we have been running Studio 2011/14/15 on various computers with Win 7 (Professional) 64 Bit with 8 GB and I have never seen an "out of memory error" caused by SDL Studio. And regarding stability, Studio 2015 at least is in my opinion very robust and solid, crashing it seems not to be an easy task. I still recommend to check for other reasons for your problem. Are you using Win 7 Professional or Home, what... See more
Sorry, but it does sound strange. I have no idea about your setup, but I can tell you that we have been running Studio 2011/14/15 on various computers with Win 7 (Professional) 64 Bit with 8 GB and I have never seen an "out of memory error" caused by SDL Studio. And regarding stability, Studio 2015 at least is in my opinion very robust and solid, crashing it seems not to be an easy task. I still recommend to check for other reasons for your problem. Are you using Win 7 Professional or Home, what other Ssoftware are you running (some Office versions do have a very bad influnence) are you running browser or Office or Studio apps. There might be many sources for your problems.Collapse

Wendy Cummings
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dismissing my problem does not mean it doesn't occur Nov 9, 2016

I have never seen an "out of memory error" caused by SDL Studio.

You are lucky. But I have, and continue to do so.

In short, I had a professional software engineer look at the situation, and he has confirmed the issue is running out of memory in the 32bit address space.

The error is displayed by Trados, and only when I use Trados.

Nevertheless, this was not the point of this forum discussion, and my question has indeed been answered by other posters.

Siegfried Armbruster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I am not dismissing your problem Nov 9, 2016

not at all. And I also have no problem understanding that Studio crashes with the error message you see. My point is, that something is eating up your 32 bit memory and "might" kick Studio out. this is the reason why I keep mentioning potential other sources for you problems. I have seen this type of problems e.g. with spellcheckers, and apps that I added to Studio or Office. Removing these apps solved my problems.

It might be a goo
... See more
not at all. And I also have no problem understanding that Studio crashes with the error message you see. My point is, that something is eating up your 32 bit memory and "might" kick Studio out. this is the reason why I keep mentioning potential other sources for you problems. I have seen this type of problems e.g. with spellcheckers, and apps that I added to Studio or Office. Removing these apps solved my problems.

It might be a good plan to have a look at https://community.sdl.com/ get more info on this problem. If others suffer from the same problems, this is place you will find them and also possible solutions.
Collapse

Wendy Cummings
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Memory use Nov 9, 2016

something is eating up your 32 bit memory

I just asked the same software engineer whether this is the case, and here is his reply (apologies for his abruptness!):

"Each application running is given it's own virtual address space by Windows. Nothing can 'eat up' another application's address space. When applications need more memory, they ask windows for it. Windows responds by giving them more virtual memory. A 32-bit application is limited to a maximum address space size of 2GB, becoming unstable around 1.5GB. "something is eating up your 32 bit memory" is simply nonsense."

Siegfried Armbruster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
That is ok Nov 9, 2016

Wendy Cummings wrote:
A 32-bit application is limited to a maximum address space size of 2GB, becoming unstable around 1.5GB. "something is eating up your 32 bit memory" is simply nonsense."

It seems that you found a real expert. I am happy that going the "nonsense" road solved the problems I had. And no, I don't call it luck that our systems are stable.

I wish you all the best that your expert will help you resolve your problems but I still recommend having a look at the SDL community.

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
I understand your point Nov 10, 2016

Hi Wendy,

It's unfortunately true that a lot of Windows applications tend to eat up memory over time.
I've just checked and my Trados 2015 that ran for about 8 hours managed to eat up to nearly 1 GB of RAM.
I closed it and started again and now... voila! 236MB of RAM.
So your complaint seems to be viable.
I don't know what SDL intend to do with it, but it seems that with more and more apps installed Trados eats up more memory.
If you add to this larger
... See more
Hi Wendy,

It's unfortunately true that a lot of Windows applications tend to eat up memory over time.
I've just checked and my Trados 2015 that ran for about 8 hours managed to eat up to nearly 1 GB of RAM.
I closed it and started again and now... voila! 236MB of RAM.
So your complaint seems to be viable.
I don't know what SDL intend to do with it, but it seems that with more and more apps installed Trados eats up more memory.
If you add to this larger TMs and Termbases, I truly believe that Trados may display the "out of memory error".
I would really like to see Trados as a 64-bit application, because it could address then more memory and probably be a bit faster than it's now. I have an SSD disk, which is lightning fast, but Trados starts on it in about 15 seconds, which is quite long in my opinion. With a classical magnetic disk it took sooooooooooo long. Even Windows started faster
Collapse

Selçuk Dilşen
Selçuk Dilşen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
English to Turkish
+ ...
There are genius coders to be discovered! Feb 18, 2017

There are genius coders yet to be discovered but SDL's coders are certainly not some of these. All Studio versions are slow, unskillfully coded and full of bugs which make this software bloated and bulky. There is a post here on proz.com that requests segment joining feature... from 2003 or 2004!!! And they could hardly succeed this in the 2017 version.

Never lose your hope, I am sure they will release a 64-bit vers
... See more
There are genius coders yet to be discovered but SDL's coders are certainly not some of these. All Studio versions are slow, unskillfully coded and full of bugs which make this software bloated and bulky. There is a post here on proz.com that requests segment joining feature... from 2003 or 2004!!! And they could hardly succeed this in the 2017 version.

Never lose your hope, I am sure they will release a 64-bit version...
... probably when all the computers in the world go 128-bit.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados = 32 or 64 bit application?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »