Need advice on software to purchase for corporate environment albeit freelance looking
Thread poster: Tina2011
Tina2011
Tina2011
English to French
+ ...
Feb 24, 2017

Hello dear colleagues

Can you advice on your experience using SDL Trados Studio 2015 or 2017 in a corporate environment where you actually count on yourself and yourself only to ensure every and all stages of the translation process?

I cannot really anticipate the volume of work expected and am concerned that opting for a Translation-Memory-based application will generate more backlog for me over time as, needless to say, I would have to put everything else on hold whi
... See more
Hello dear colleagues

Can you advice on your experience using SDL Trados Studio 2015 or 2017 in a corporate environment where you actually count on yourself and yourself only to ensure every and all stages of the translation process?

I cannot really anticipate the volume of work expected and am concerned that opting for a Translation-Memory-based application will generate more backlog for me over time as, needless to say, I would have to put everything else on hold while I take care of alignment, or I deal with clients, do terminological searches, prep files, etc..
So, I want to be ready for the worst case scenario and be able to minimize costs and optimize my time by keeping the amount of time I spend on prepping, aligning, organizing files to the minimum.

With this in mind, which would you say would be a better choice: SDL Studio (2015 or 2107), Logiterm (Web or Pro?) OR MultiTrans (the Translation agent only, as opposed to the whole web-based TMS, editor; that is, Flow Prism).

Please also mention which of the above you believe would give less trouble in terms of technical issues, or offers a better technical support.

Many thanks in advance!

Xris.
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:18
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
clarification Feb 24, 2017

Hi Xris,

It's not entirely clear from your post what you intend to do. That is, are you planning to outsource work to other translators, or are you going to work solo?

Michael

[Edited at 2017-02-24 23:14 GMT]

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:18
English to French
A tool is meant to save time Feb 25, 2017

And ultimately increase your bottom line, because we sell our time, not words.
If it doesn't, then it's not a tool, it's a drag. Either the tool is not designed for the use you make of it, or you don't know how to use it efficiently.

As a translator who has to earn a living, my goal is basically to spend as little time as possible on everything that generates money or saves time directly or indirectly. I can then spend the time saved to find new ways to spend as little time a
... See more
And ultimately increase your bottom line, because we sell our time, not words.
If it doesn't, then it's not a tool, it's a drag. Either the tool is not designed for the use you make of it, or you don't know how to use it efficiently.

As a translator who has to earn a living, my goal is basically to spend as little time as possible on everything that generates money or saves time directly or indirectly. I can then spend the time saved to find new ways to spend as little time as possible on everything that generates money or saves time directly or indirectly.
Or I can use that time saved to lie on the beach like dead jellyfish and do s*d-all.

To this end, I continously search, read about, invest in, learn and/or use new tools: business management program, voice recognition, CAT tools, search tools, indexing tools, TM management tools, Internet, e-mail, books, CD/paper dictionaries, dual screen setup...

So I am not really sure about your precise point either, so I'll reply to a few questions that sprang to mind reading your post - solely my own opinion only:

Are CAT tools money well invested? Yes
What proportion of your working time do you spend on translation management only? Not much
Does a CAT tool help in streamlining your work? Yes
Does a CAT tool save you time compared to no CAT tool? Yes
Is CAT technology magic? No
Is training needed to use a CAT tool productively? Yes
Can translator be a full-time profession? Yes
What CAT tool should I buy? No idea
Can I merge two job positions into one without increasing my workload? No

Philippe
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need advice on software to purchase for corporate environment albeit freelance looking

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »