Thread poster: Dylan J Hartmann
Norskpro
Norskpro
Norway
Local time: 09:34
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Only one screen Aug 23, 2017

I have an iMac with a 21.5 inch screen. I considered buying the one with the larger screen, but I found it too big.
The 21.5 inch screen allows me to have two documents (or more) open next to each other,
and I switch back and forth between documents and dictionaries. I also have Windows Parallels.
You have a screen for e-mails and Skype only?
I can hear and see when e-mails arrive, which is enough for me, and I find being "surrounded" by screens an undesirable option.
... See more
I have an iMac with a 21.5 inch screen. I considered buying the one with the larger screen, but I found it too big.
The 21.5 inch screen allows me to have two documents (or more) open next to each other,
and I switch back and forth between documents and dictionaries. I also have Windows Parallels.
You have a screen for e-mails and Skype only?
I can hear and see when e-mails arrive, which is enough for me, and I find being "surrounded" by screens an undesirable option.
In addition I have a MacBook Pro.
Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Email/Skype + another desktop Aug 23, 2017

I also thought it would be too big but was sold after seeing how nice using the extra real estate would be, but also being able to upgrade RAM.

I first tried using the stock 8 gig, thinking it would be fine but realised on the first big job (with everything open) that would need to upgrade.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 15:34
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Both Aug 23, 2017

Norskpro wrote:
The 21.5 inch screen allows me to have two documents (or more) open next to each other

I have both the 27" and a newer 21", and you're right: I prefer the 27", but the smaller one is actually large enough for my CAT tool, and the original document, side by side. And I use the poor men's multiple displays, Spaces.

Nevertheless, I'm going to buy the latest 27". DJ, is the SSD part of the 1TB fusion drive big enough? I think it is, but you probably know by now. No virtual machines here. No Windows!

Cheers,

Hans

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
It's only been a week! Aug 23, 2017

Meta Arkadia wrote:

DJ, is the SSD part of the 1TB fusion drive big enough?

I suppose so. If I had an unlimited budget, I'd go 1TB SSD but that's not possible (yet!).

As I said, I was going to just upgrade to the new 21.5 inch until I got my hands on the 27 in the store and the genius convinced me hahaha

21.5 is enough... 27 is worth it though.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:34
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Huge is relative Aug 23, 2017

DJHartmann wrote:
Please share your setups!

I am experimenting with a Microsoft Surface Pro i7 for ultimate portability, after a couple of decades of using big desktops. When I am in the office this is hooked up to a 4k, 49" monitor, and a NAS with several terabytes of capacity. It works... okay.

Dan

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Size Aug 23, 2017

Dan Lucas wrote:

DJHartmann wrote:

I am experimenting with a Microsoft Surface Pro i7 for ultimate portability, after a couple of decades of using big desktops. When I am in the office this is hooked up to a 4k, 49" monitor, and a NAS with several terabytes of capacity. It works... okay.

Dan

I get it- this is a boys-only size competition.

Norskpro
Norskpro
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Yes, Aug 23, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

Dan Lucas wrote:

DJHartmann wrote:

Dan

I get it- this is a boys-only size competition.

I get it, too, Tom.
For me it is not all about size, the interior around me has to have a certain taste and style,
which means that gigantic screens, and many screens, would not work.

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Screen Aug 23, 2017

Dan Lucas wrote:

When I am in the office this is hooked up to a 4k, 49" monitor,

Which one would that be?

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 23, 2017

Norskpro wrote:

gigantic screens, and many screens, would not work.

People might mistake me for a day trader in the stock market or forex rather than a 'simple' translator, I know, but my work performance has genuinely increased with more gigantic screens! I do have the cafe setup if I need to get out, but only for simple jobs.

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Wasabi Mango UHD490 Aug 27, 2017

CafeTran Training wrote:
Dan Lucas wrote:

Which one would that be?

Sorry for delay, didn't see this. It's a Wasabi Mango Uhd490.

Dan

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Wow Aug 27, 2017

Dan Lucas wrote:

CafeTran Training wrote:
Dan Lucas wrote:

Which one would that be?

Sorry for delay, didn't see this. It's a Wasabi Mango Uhd490.

Dan

Quite impressive. I guess that it's at an arm length or so from your eyes?

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
About an arm and a half Aug 29, 2017

CafeTran Training wrote:
Quite impressive. I guess that it's at an arm length or so from your eyes?

I sit well back from the desk with my keyboard and trackball on a little platform in my lap. My eyes are therefore about 1 m from the screen. I have no problems with the width or the height, but I would like the ones itself to be positioned about 40 cm lower. Obviously, the desk does not permit that. I'm considering getting rid of the desk and having the monitor suspended from an arm built into the wall.

Dan

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
The Future = Fanless. Aug 29, 2017

Dan Lucas wrote:

DJHartmann wrote:

Dan

Hi Dan,

Is that Microsoft Surface Pro i7 fanless?

I'm currently in the process of moving to a 100% fanless (and silent) system for work, as I have grown tired of fan noise. I might get myself one of these:
https://www.shopvenom.com/globalstore/blackbook-zero-14/
http://eve-tech.com/eve-v/
http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/huawei-matebook-x
… not sure yet.

I really love my super-powerful Dell Precision M6800 workstation laptop, but it sometimes gets a bit loud depending on what I'm doing, and especially when working late, I often wish I could make it 100% silent. The plan is to get a silent laptop, and maybe connect via RDP over the LAN or something if I need its extra power.

I actually started with 1 screen, then moved to 2, then 3, and guess what, am now back to 1. After testing them all, I realised I prefer 1 as it allows me to focus better somehow. Also, less screens (usually) means less fan noise.

skitch

Michael

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Noise? Aug 29, 2017

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

I actually started with 1 screen, then moved to 2, then 3, and guess what, am now back to 1. After testing them all, I realised I prefer 1 as it allows me to focus better somehow. Also, less screens (usually) means less fan noise.

Fan noise has never occurred to me with the iMac, I suppose it's a quiet fan?

Please do explain the 2 mouses!

I'm sticking to the 3 screens, perfect for multitasking! This may change depending on the size of the project I'm working on.

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
No, it definitely has a fan Aug 30, 2017

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:
Is that Microsoft Surface Pro i7 fanless?

No, it has a fan that kicks in when the load is heavy (web pages with lots of advertising etc.), so this is not the answer if ultimate quiet is what you want.

Dan

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Share Your Translation Tech-Setup

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »