Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Attention all translators. Check out Google Translator Toolkit: translations with a human touch
Thread poster: Waleed Mohamed
Waleed Mohamed
Waleed Mohamed  Identity Verified
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 12:04
English to Arabic
+ ...
Jun 9, 2009

Google innovation continues....

Read here:
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/06/translating-worlds-information-with.html

Best regards

Waleed

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 03:04
Spanish
+ ...
Human touch doesn't mean professional touch Jun 9, 2009

As I just said to a friend, Google still uses human translators to translate and proofread their products.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:04
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feeding Google with professional translations - <b>Privacy problems!</b> Jun 10, 2009

As a translator I won't use the toolkit for one single good reason: the toolkit will surely feed all my corrected translations to Google, which can be bad for my business in the long run as well as creating important privacy problems for/with my customers.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Google never defended privacy... Jun 10, 2009

Good morning, Tomas and all.
This topic was discussed in the French forum too, and Yves Champollion posted a message about Wordfast Anywhere vs. Google Translator Toolkit.

As a side issue, Yves Champollion pointed to the fact that even Gmail contents (yes, our very own emails if we use Gmail) could be indexed - does that mean publicly available? - some day:

Yves Champollion wrote:
Récemment je lisais que le contenu des mails de Gmail.com était susceptible de se retrouver indexé un jour... c'était écrit noir sur blanc dans leurs conditions. J'y ai pas cru sur le coup, mais j'ai vérifié.

G. never defended privacy as an (absolute) value, don't expect them to do it in the future.

Laurent K.

[Edited at 2009-06-10 06:16 GMT]

Lectorcito
Lectorcito  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:04
English to Spanish
Options Jun 10, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

As a translator I won't use the toolkit for one single good reason: the toolkit will surely feed all my corrected translations to Google, which can be bad for my business in the long run as well as creating important privacy problems for/with my customers.

Apparently, there are options that allow you not to share your translation memories.

# Select Shared with everyone to allow all other users to search your translation memory. Select Not shared with everyone to restrict access to your translation memory only to those users whom you explicitly grant access. Important: you cannot change this setting after you create the translation memory. If you accidentally share a translation memory that should not have been shared with everyone, you must delete the translation memory. At that point, you must wait for a few hours for Google Translator Toolkit to remove the translation memory content from our translation search index.

http://translate.google.com/support/toolkit/bin/answer.py?answer=147844&cbid=13f9smuaqvwro&src=cb&lev=answer

I am beginning to use Google Apps and I am enjoying the experience, so I will definitely check it out. It looks promising. But I'll probably use it just for fun for now.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I insist: mind your customers' privacy! Jun 10, 2009

I must insist that it is critical that we take our customers' privacy into account. If we are not careful enough, we could end up sharing our customers' property to the world!

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Why is it so positive? Jun 10, 2009

Waleed Mohamed wrote:
Attention all translator - Google innovation continues....

Waleed, it strikes me that you --apparently-- promote this as a positive development for us translators. In what sense do you feel this kind of tool could help a professional translator in today's translation market?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:04
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I agree Jun 10, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
France
French to German
+ ...
Contradictions from the very beginning Jun 10, 2009

Lectorcito wrote:

Apparently, there are options that allow you not to share your translation memories.

So what does *this* mean?

Use of your Content
By submitting your content through the Service, you grant G. the permission to use your content permanently to promote, improve or offer the Services. If G. publicly displays any of the content you submitted through the Service, G. will display only portion(s) and not the entirety of the content at one time.

To be found here: http://tinyurl.com/l98s6q

Laurent K.

PS: was this perhaps made in order to generate buzz and more buzz?

[Edited at 2009-06-10 09:48 GMT]

Lectorcito
Lectorcito  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:04
English to Spanish
Who knows? Jun 10, 2009

ScottishWildCat wrote:

So what does *this* mean?

Use of your Content
By submitting your content through the Service, you grant G. the permission to use your content permanently to promote, improve or offer the Services. If G. publicly displays any of the content you submitted through the Service, G. will display only portion(s) and not the entirety of the content at one time.

That doesn't look so good, does it? ;=

Tomás, my impression is that this tool is not really aimed at professional translators (at least not now: look at the file size limits), but at those volunteers who enjoy translating Wikipedia articles, Linux distros, Facebook, Knols, and so on. Yeah, some of them might be professionals, of course. There are people who enjoy working for free. Go figure. =)

If it becomes widely used, maybe Google will be able to set up amazing databases, TMs and glossaries that could be of interest to translators. In that case, maybe they'll add the features needed to attract that market. They already admit that they plan to charge for certain features in the future. We'll see. I think it's going to be a tought sell, because I don't have the impression they are very sensitive to our needs right now.

In any case, maybe this tool will help improve the horrendous quality of some Wikipedia translations, and for that I welcome it.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 03:04
Spanish
+ ...
If you want to know, try to "proofread" the quality of a crowdsourced translations Jun 10, 2009

I don't have to imagine those public, crowdsourced TMs. Once in a while some of my clients send me a crowdsourced translation of a software and I still haven't seen anything remotely decent. Even if some of the translators are good, the crappy translations will need heavy editing and be checked for quality purposes.

This process takes forever with non-professional translations because of the lack of consistency. It's just not worth it.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Crowdsourcing = the cheap toy Jun 10, 2009

I sincerely hope this crisis the world is experience makes people stop and thing twice about the cheap toy: when you have plenty of money to spend around, buying a cheap (cheap in more than one sense) toy that will last a week can make sense; if you are short in cash, you will be happy paying 5 times more for a better toy that can last a couple of years. Of course you will only buy when you have a real need.

To me, machine translation and crowdsourced translation are like cheap toys
... See more
I sincerely hope this crisis the world is experience makes people stop and thing twice about the cheap toy: when you have plenty of money to spend around, buying a cheap (cheap in more than one sense) toy that will last a week can make sense; if you are short in cash, you will be happy paying 5 times more for a better toy that can last a couple of years. Of course you will only buy when you have a real need.

To me, machine translation and crowdsourced translation are like cheap toys: you get them because they cost you nothing or nearly nothing, but when you want something good and worthy, when you need the real thing, you get a professional translator. So let's keep improving, learning, and widening our training and education! Customers will keep calling and will need prepared, able professionals!!
Collapse

TSDM
TSDM
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:04
Russian to English
This is tremendously interesting! Jun 11, 2009

I'd love to give this a go with a medium project involving 3-4 translators. Using Google Docs for projects that don't require TMs is a pleasure. The only serious function lacking I see after first look is the inability to add terminology records.

For those of you worried about confidentiality, please note that in order not to share your TM segments with the world, you have to first setup a separate TM and make sure you select it each time you import a project.

Anyone su
... See more
I'd love to give this a go with a medium project involving 3-4 translators. Using Google Docs for projects that don't require TMs is a pleasure. The only serious function lacking I see after first look is the inability to add terminology records.

For those of you worried about confidentiality, please note that in order not to share your TM segments with the world, you have to first setup a separate TM and make sure you select it each time you import a project.

Anyone surprised that English is the only possible source language? I would think that it wouldn't be any harder technically to implement all the languages as source and target. I wonder if this is Google's way to restrict the number of people using it for now?

Looking forward to reading everyone's comments and thoughts!
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
France
French to German
+ ...
You will share your TMs with G. Jun 12, 2009

chacher wrote:

As stated in my previous post, you will share your TMs with the "master of the house" (i.e. G.) whether you like it or not and have absolutely no control on what happens with them.

A professional and serious alternative would imo be to use Wordfast Anywhere, which comes with more features (among others: the UI known from Wordfast 5.X, more source/target combos and the MT from Google) and a real confidentiality policy.

URL http://67.221.227.92/anywhere/

Laurent K.

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Imaging a tool... Jun 12, 2009

that translate millions of sites automatically with his MT engine.
Imaging this tool comparing/reviewing his own translation with the already existing translated sites...

Imaging?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Attention all translators. Check out Google Translator Toolkit: translations with a human touch

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »