MemoQ for Transit NXT imports: worth it?
Thread poster: Tom Tyson
Tom Tyson
Tom Tyson  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:06
German to English
Apr 18, 2017

Hi, all!

I'm fed up with Transit NXT and considering buying MemoQ solely for the purpose of processing packed Transit projects on a regular basis. Is it worth the investment?

Unfortunately the trial version doesn't let you import packages from other CAT tools so I can't try it out.

I would like to think I could import, translate and export packages all through MemoQ and send them off without ever having to look at the Transit version, but I appreciate it m
... See more
Hi, all!

I'm fed up with Transit NXT and considering buying MemoQ solely for the purpose of processing packed Transit projects on a regular basis. Is it worth the investment?

Unfortunately the trial version doesn't let you import packages from other CAT tools so I can't try it out.

I would like to think I could import, translate and export packages all through MemoQ and send them off without ever having to look at the Transit version, but I appreciate it may be prudent to open the exported package to run a review of the translated files in Transit itself as I understand that tag errors can arise with this procedure. Is that a hassle?

Who has experience of this way of working compared with using Transit direct? My thinking is that MemoQ will provide more auto-suggest options and significantly reduce the amount of typing I have to do. Transit makes my hands ache, whereas Studio 2015 (my preferred tool) doesn't, thanks to its auto-suggest and auto-correct functions. Can I expect that from MemoQ?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Tom
Collapse

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 16:06
German to English
+ ...
Maybe Apr 18, 2017

you should contact MemoQ and clarify these issues.

ahartje
ahartje
Portugal
Member (2006)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Works perfectly well Apr 18, 2017

Dear Tom,

the import editing and export of NXT packages with memoQ works perfectly well. I handle some clients´projects this way for years now.

As I do not own Transit NXT, I can´t do a final review in Transit, but my clients send PDF´s for proofing and normally tag errors are no issue.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
In the meantime Apr 18, 2017

Tom Tyson wrote:
I would like to think I could import, translate and export packages all through MemoQ and send them off without ever having to look at the Transit version

Tom, I too am unimpressed with the quirkiness and the expense of Transit NXT and found MemoQ far more user-friendly when I (temporarily) got to grips with it for a major project last year. I did not try using MemoQ for NXT projects, unfortunately, so I too would welcome any feedback here.

My interim solution has been to use PhraseExpress to expand common phrases. As the jobs for which I use NXT have a proprietary but fairly consistent vocabulary, this works well and saves me a lot of typing. However, in more general use PhraseExpress cannot provide autosuggest functionality like that offered by Studio 2017.

Dan

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
CafeTran has great Transit compatibility Apr 18, 2017

Just thought I should mention that CafeTran has very good Transit compatibility. Not sure about the details at the moment (because my favourite CAT tool is currently Déjà Vu X3), but I know CafeTran handles Transit files (packages?) very well, and there was even some talk of extracting the special Transit terminology stuff at some point on the CafeTran mailing list. In any case, Hans Lenting (an... See more
Just thought I should mention that CafeTran has very good Transit compatibility. Not sure about the details at the moment (because my favourite CAT tool is currently Déjà Vu X3), but I know CafeTran handles Transit files (packages?) very well, and there was even some talk of extracting the special Transit terminology stuff at some point on the CafeTran mailing list. In any case, Hans Lenting (an avid CafeTran user)(http://www.proz.com/translator/78234 ) used to use Transit, and still owns it, so he would know more about this. I'll mention this thread to him.

Michael
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:06
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It works perfectly! Apr 18, 2017

In fact, sometimes I had issues working directly in the Transit Packages, and I opened them in memoQ!No issues at all.

Anyway, why would you switch from Transit NXT? it's far the best translation tool I've ever used.

Kind regards

Clarisa

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:06
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
It depends on some factors Apr 18, 2017

Dear Tom,

I have been a Transit (NXT) user for many years (not really a fan of it, but now I'm experienced enough to move around its stiffness and find my way) and I tend to do most jobs directly in Transit. Still, memoQ handles PPFs nicely... most of the times. Fact is that sometimes there are some issues exporting a multiple-file project. Plus, there are also some issues with the term bank imported from Transit - terms in it are not shown as first choice, which is the reason why I
... See more
Dear Tom,

I have been a Transit (NXT) user for many years (not really a fan of it, but now I'm experienced enough to move around its stiffness and find my way) and I tend to do most jobs directly in Transit. Still, memoQ handles PPFs nicely... most of the times. Fact is that sometimes there are some issues exporting a multiple-file project. Plus, there are also some issues with the term bank imported from Transit - terms in it are not shown as first choice, which is the reason why I tend to use Transit anyway (some clients have strict rules about how they want a term translated and I go with them).

In my experience, memoQ does a very nice job in handling Transit packages, picking up all "human" fuzzies and matches and filtering out MT - which slows translation in many cases, for ex. when there are a lot of mark-ups, it is advisable to edit directly in the MT suggestion window instead of ignoring it completely when suggesting nonsense, so that all mark-ups are placed correctly, but it eats up quite some time reducing translation speed.
I always export as a bilingual file (provided it's a Word file, both as Trados unclean and as a two-column Word file) for further checking. And I export the project as a PPF, so that I can import it in Transit, check all mark-ups and create the translation in the correct format of the original.

I agree that Transit can't be called translator-friendly on many occasions, but the more you use it, the more you learn how to get the most out of it and cut down the working time.

Still, memoQ has its plus points and the more I use it, the more I feel comfortable translating some Transit packages in it (some clients require strictly Transit, so I keep on using it and can't complain much about time wasting, as habit makes the difference).

However, memoQ is IMHO an investment, worth the money I have invested in it.

Giuliana

[Edited at 2017-04-18 18:50 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ for Transit NXT imports: worth it?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »