Cannot open translated sdlxliff file : "Unexpected error" message
Thread poster: Alain Dorais
Alain Dorais
Alain Dorais
Local time: 03:16
English to French
Dec 8, 2010

Hi,

I have finished translating a .doc file with Studio 2009. Suddenly, I cannot open the file anymore, and get the following message (in French, but it should be close enough to be recognizable) : "Failure to open (file name).doc.sdlxliff". Details of the message are as follows : "Unexpected error while detecting file type "(path to file)" : '.', hexadecimal value 0x00, is a invalid character. Line 282502, position 46."

Any insights toward a solution would be deeply ap
... See more
Hi,

I have finished translating a .doc file with Studio 2009. Suddenly, I cannot open the file anymore, and get the following message (in French, but it should be close enough to be recognizable) : "Failure to open (file name).doc.sdlxliff". Details of the message are as follows : "Unexpected error while detecting file type "(path to file)" : '.', hexadecimal value 0x00, is a invalid character. Line 282502, position 46."

Any insights toward a solution would be deeply appreciated.

Alain
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:16
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Sh... happens sometimes Dec 8, 2010

and it looks like that happened to you now.
Unfortunately your SDLXLIFF file seems to have got damaged.
As I am not an expert in repairing those files, I would advice to recreate the SDLXLIFF from the original Word file and retranlaste it using the TM from the job.

Alain Dorais
Alain Dorais
Local time: 03:16
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Dec 9, 2010

Thank you very much Jerzy.

As you suggested, I reprocessed the whole document from the start using the project TM (particularly useful in this situation). The new sdlxliff seems more enclined to collaborate...

tadream
tadream
Local time: 09:16
Polish to English
+ ...
damaged file recovery Nov 23, 2013

thnx jerzy!

have just come across the corrupt sdlxliff file and took your advice to rebuild the file from scratch (notepad ++ displayed all entries as NULL with no numbers whatsoever. it must've got screwed up real hard). was i happy to see these segments filling in automatically from the TM.

Thanks again!

Timo Uschakov

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot open translated sdlxliff file : "Unexpected error" message

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »