Need recommendations - Content Optimization Software that can create a glossary by extracting terms
Thread poster: Alexandra Bourne
Alexandra Bourne
Alexandra Bourne  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 7, 2017

Hello all,

I have been asked by the Technical Writing group at the company I work for, if I know of any software products that can help them to write consistent English manuals and that also have the ability to extract terms from all the written manuals they have already created in English. These terms, would then be translated and would be shared to the translators.

We looked into a product called Acrolinx, which has the functionality we are looking for, but the rest o
... See more
Hello all,

I have been asked by the Technical Writing group at the company I work for, if I know of any software products that can help them to write consistent English manuals and that also have the ability to extract terms from all the written manuals they have already created in English. These terms, would then be translated and would be shared to the translators.

We looked into a product called Acrolinx, which has the functionality we are looking for, but the rest of the team has asked for additional companies to compare against.

The manuals are written in Markdown (.md) files.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Alexandra
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:24
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
SynchroTerm Mar 7, 2017

Hi Alexandra,

I would recommend SynchroTerm (http://www.terminotix.com/index.asp?name=SynchroTerm&content=item&brand=4&item=7&lang=en ), which imo is the only decent tool for extracting terminology from large datasets. I haven't tried Acrolinx yet, but I have tried most of the other ones, and none of them can compete even remotely with
... See more
Hi Alexandra,

I would recommend SynchroTerm (http://www.terminotix.com/index.asp?name=SynchroTerm&content=item&brand=4&item=7&lang=en ), which imo is the only decent tool for extracting terminology from large datasets. I haven't tried Acrolinx yet, but I have tried most of the other ones, and none of them can compete even remotely with SynchroTerm.

Michael

PS: I offer monolingual glossary creation services myself. most of my clients are large translation agencies who want to create a basic glossary in English that will be used in large multilingual localisation projects. that is, my initial English glossary (which I create by extracting terms from large amounts of corporate docs) is translated into multiple languages and given to all of the different translators at the outset of a large project.

[Edited at 2017-03-07 23:01 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:24
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I just stumbled across a good screencast of SynchroTerm in action: Mar 7, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPxuTcuWmq0&feature=related

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need recommendations - Content Optimization Software that can create a glossary by extracting terms

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »