Method of sending and receiving large files between translator and customer.
Thread poster: Nina Engberg
Nina Engberg
Nina Engberg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:42
English to Swedish
+ ...
Oct 4, 2001

I am about to start off this big 100,000 word translation project, which will come in many small files. I am in the U.S. and my customer is in Sweden. What would be the best way for us to deliver these files? I am thinking that maybe CD-RW would work as my zip drive is only 100 MB.

Does anyone have any input on this matter? I would greatly appreciate it!
[addsig]

Theodore Quester
Theodore Quester  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:42
French to English
+ ...
100,000 words is not that big Oct 4, 2001

I am working on a 50,000 word project now (half of a book), which all together in word format is only around 1.5 megs, which means I can even e-mail the whole thing (it\'s in chapters) as an attachment. Certainly it would fit on a zip disk, but it would seem easier to just send it as attachments.

If it\'s really graphics heavy, I guess you could burn a cd-rom, which would probably be easier to mail than a zip disk anyway.

Nina Engberg
Nina Engberg  Identity Verified
United States
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Theodore Oct 4, 2001

Great, I\'ll just have them email it all to me then. I somehow thought that it would be much bigger memorywise...
[addsig]

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 08:42
German to English
+ ...
WinZip Oct 4, 2001

Theodore is right: 100,000 words is no big thing - most e-mail accounts can handle between 5MB and 10MB.

But if you want to speed up the transmission time, you could also zip those files (e.g., by using WinZip, which you can download free of charge).

Alan Johnson
Alan Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:42
German to English
file formats Oct 5, 2001

Hi Nina,

well, 100 000 words isn\'t THAT big. Normally, zipping and emailing should be OK (IF you don\'t have one of these **.free accounts - something I would advise any _serious_ translator against). I offer clients a variety of possibilities, especially for large files; one which works very well is to ask the client if they have an ftp address. I have one or two customers that send me an email and I then download the file via ftp from their site and later upload it when I
... See more
Hi Nina,

well, 100 000 words isn\'t THAT big. Normally, zipping and emailing should be OK (IF you don\'t have one of these **.free accounts - something I would advise any _serious_ translator against). I offer clients a variety of possibilities, especially for large files; one which works very well is to ask the client if they have an ftp address. I have one or two customers that send me an email and I then download the file via ftp from their site and later upload it when I am finished. This usually requires a somewhat longer standing relationship, but not always.
Collapse

Hans-Henning Judek
Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:42
German to English
+ ...
Get ftp access Oct 5, 2001

Not much to add to what the gentlemen wrote. If you have frequently larger files, ask your service provider, how much they chrage for ftp access. For some bucks you can get your own ftp account then.

Pilar Campos
Pilar Campos  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:42
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Have you thought about Webfolders Oct 5, 2001

I you and your customer run Windows 2000 you may use the utility named \"Webfolders\". You can save files in your customer computer as if you did in your own one. But the problem is both must be running Windows 2000 and have continuous connection.

Klaus Dorn (X)
Klaus Dorn (X)
Local time: 15:42
German to English
+ ...
internet file storage Oct 6, 2001

I use internet file storage, there are many places allowing free uploading, storage and downloading of stuff up to 100 Mb. All my clients have internet access, you can password protect documents against illegal use. Best thing, it\'s free and if your computer ever crashes (HD) you don\'t lose a thing!

If you want any names, let me know.
[addsig]

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Upload Jan 20, 2021

Nina Engberg wrote:

I am about to start off this big 100,000 word translation project, which will come in many small files. I am in the U.S. and my customer is in Sweden. What would be the best way for us to deliver these files? I am thinking that maybe CD-RW would work as my zip drive is only 100 MB.

Does anyone have any input on this matter? I would greatly appreciate it!

You can upload big files to a shared folder in the cyberspace. There are a lot of free accounts to access servers from where your clients can download the files later.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:42
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Digging up dead threads Jan 20, 2021

Yaotl Altan wrote:
You can upload big files to a shared folder in the cyberspace. There are a lot of free accounts to access servers from where your clients can download the files later.

A thread so old that two of the technologies mentioned by the OP have ceased to exist!

Dan

Tom in London
P.L.F. Persio
Jorge Payan
Yaotl Altan
Angie Garbarino

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
EXHUMING OLD THREADS MAY DAMAGE YOUR HEALTH Jan 20, 2021

Dan Lucas wrote:

A thread so old that two of the technologies mentioned by the OP have ceased to exist!

Yes - we've moved on quite a bit since then. I use WeTransfer but I have a client who insists on using DropBox (which I hate).

Dan Lucas
P.L.F. Persio
Josephine Cassar

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 20:42
Chinese to English
+ ...
Intelligence check Jan 20, 2021

Dan Lucas wrote:

Yaotl Altan wrote:

Dan

I imagine there are ProZ members younger than this thread, and we're not far from the day that the slower among them will bump a thread older than themselves.

Dan Lucas
Adieu

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
To be honest Jan 20, 2021

it's very irritating... 2001!

Adieu
Angie Garbarino

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
2001: A ProZ Odyssey (Oddity?) Jan 20, 2021

As necroposts go, this one takes the cake, hands down!

Where is that ZIP drive when you need it?

Okay, I'll FTP my way out of this mess.

Reminds me of an amateur movie, where the first scene starts absurdly with the phrase: "20 ans après" (20 years later)…

James Heppe-Smith
James Heppe-Smith  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:42
German to English

Moderator of this forum
Put this one back to bed, please Feb 1, 2021

This one probably does not need to return to life. Let’s close it here please.

mughwI
Angie Garbarino

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Method of sending and receiving large files between translator and customer.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »