Thread poster: Gerard Barry
Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:29
English to Arabic
+ ...
Outstanding! Oct 28, 2020

Gerard Barry wrote:

@Jan Truper: I don't think anything I posted is misogynistic. If anything, I'm complaining about misandry. But if I do go freelance, I can always delete my profile here and set up a new one:)

Just the "suggestion" (or, let's call it as it really is, the "implicit threat" that you would become subject to discrimination/retaliation by women of the industry), coupled -of course- with the proposed need to change identity to survive, both mean that there is something very wrong happening and that equality turned into a whole different thing, an ugly thing.

BTB, that "implicit threat" was something of the things on this forum that I strongly object to, and I could've objected directly and impolitely, but I didn't.

Gerard Barry

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Checkmate Oct 28, 2020

Gerard Barry wrote:
how on earth do you come to the conclusion that the reason non-white people are (supposedly) underrepresented in the legal profession is because of discrimination? Have you any proof of this discrimination? If white people's under-representation in the NHS is down to lack of qualifications and/or interest, why can't the same logic be applied to non-white people's (apparent) under-representation in the legal profession? That's clearly a double standard. You should try thinking logically and not ideologically.

You’re objecting to a law firm setting a quota of 30% minorities for its graduate intake.

Fact: 35% of UK law students are from ethnic minorities.

Over and out.

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
🙄 Oct 28, 2020

Sadek_A wrote:

Gerard Barry wrote:

@Jan Truper: I don't think anything I posted is misogynistic. If anything, I'm complaining about misandry. But if I do go freelance, I can always delete my profile here and set up a new one:)

Just the "suggestion" (or, let's call it as it really is, the "implicit threat" that you would become subject to discrimination/retaliation by women of the industry), coupled -of course- with the proposed need to change identity to survive, both mean that there is something very wrong happening and that equality turned into a whole different thing, an ugly thing.

BTB, that "implicit threat" was something of the things on this forum that I strongly object to, and I could've objected directly and impolitely, but I didn't.

Yeah, Sadek, keep looking over your shoulder. The leftist/feminist coalition is everywhere.

P.L.F. Persio
Jan Truper
Kay Denney
Becca Resnik
expressisverbis

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:29
French to English
. Oct 28, 2020

Gerard Barry wrote:

@Jan Truper: I don't think anything I posted is misogynistic.

What about your expression "sitting here like an idiot surrounded by women"? I wasn't going to nit-pick that expression, but as a woman, I found that quite derogatory. It's much worse than the "man flu" joke you cited when asked for examples of women being derogatory to the men in your office.

P.L.F. Persio
Sheila Wilson
expressisverbis

Sadek_A
English to Arabic
+ ...
You're entitled to your invalid opinion! Oct 28, 2020

Chris S wrote:
Yeah, Sadek, keep looking over your shoulder. The leftist/feminist coalition is everywhere.

That's what you think. But, truth is, many women around the world are starting to realize that Feminism is NOT the solution and that it is being misused.

Take the #MeToo movement as an example. In the wake of it, many women became worried that it's affecting their normal male/female interaction.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42200092

https://www.vox.com/2018/4/5/17157240/me-too-movement-sexual-harassment-aziz-ansari-accusation

On top of that, most women aren't blind (some women are, however, impressionable and led by the big talk of Feminism, true!) to the logical dissection of the circumstances (that is: 1) many of the (alleged) victims made reps and fortunes from their connection with the (alleged) perpetrators; 2) their silence for years/decades helped wipe out (almost) all (alleged) evidence(s) -- now, would a victim wait out abuse of her modelling photos, for example, before reporting? no? then, why would she wait out abuse of her body?).

The fact that radical (or, leftist, as you called them) women have louder voices than the rest doesn't mean they're winning! You, cute ICTIP boys like to believe they're, though!

*ICTIP means I-carry-my-testicles-in-a-purse 😄😂🤣. Come on, wikipedia 🤞.

**ICTIP isn't related to sexual orientation, but rather to lazy boys whose only technique of scoring with women is to play meek.

Scooch over, Christine, will ya! 😄😂🤣 Christine is my blow-up doll, BTW 😄😂🤣

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:29
Member (2005)
Chinese to English
If you don't like a lot of woem around you at work Oct 28, 2020

Isn't it a choice to just quit the job?

Tom in London
Kay Denney
P.L.F. Persio
marijaflora
Becca Resnik
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
expressisverbis

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Let me explain Oct 29, 2020

@Kay Denney: I don't quite understand why you would find that derogatory. You're possibly reading something into it that isn't there. What I meant was this: my department (like most in-house translation departments) is mostly female. Despite that, my employer (which is not a translation company) places a lot of emphasis on hiring and promoting more women (so-called "diversity"). But because I'm in a department where women are already in the majority (which is fine - women clearly have a greater ... See more
@Kay Denney: I don't quite understand why you would find that derogatory. You're possibly reading something into it that isn't there. What I meant was this: my department (like most in-house translation departments) is mostly female. Despite that, my employer (which is not a translation company) places a lot of emphasis on hiring and promoting more women (so-called "diversity"). But because I'm in a department where women are already in the majority (which is fine - women clearly have a greater interests than men in working as translators), this makes me feel like "an idiot" in the sense that it makes me feel unwelcome and unappreciated. Added to that is the fact that all my female colleagues are of a different nationality to me, thus increasing my sense of "otherness".Collapse

Sadek_A

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:29
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Yes but Oct 29, 2020

jyuan_us wrote:

Isn't it a choice to just quit the job?

Yes but there are women everywhere - the world is infested with them. There might (God help us) be women at the new job!

[Edited at 2020-10-29 08:41 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Kay Denney
P.L.F. Persio
Shilpa Baliga
Fatine Echenique
Marina Taffetani
ahartje

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Very funny Oct 30, 2020

Very funny, Tom. Women in general aren't a problem. The problem is misandrist women and misandrist, identitarian hiring and promotion policies. I actually get on quite well with my female colleagues in my current job.

Sadek_A
Sam Abramov

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Oct 30, 2020

Gerard Barry wrote:

@Kay Denney: I don't quite understand why you would find that derogatory. You're possibly reading something into it that isn't there. What I meant was this: my department (like most in-house translation departments) is mostly female. Despite that, my employer (which is not a translation company) places a lot of emphasis on hiring and promoting more women (so-called "diversity"). But because I'm in a department where women are already in the majority (which is fine - women clearly have a greater interests than men in working as translators), this makes me feel like "an idiot" in the sense that it makes me feel unwelcome and unappreciated. Added to that is the fact that all my female colleagues are of a different nationality to me, thus increasing my sense of "otherness".

Your turn of phrase "sitting like an idiot surrounded by women" is derogatory, in that you feel like you're an idiot because you work with women/do a job that's mostly done by women. You didn't mean that the women are vastly superior in intellect after all.

I suggest you take a few doughnuts into work to get in their good books. Oh and smile more

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis

Sadek_A
English to Arabic
+ ...
Totally! Oct 30, 2020

Gerard Barry wrote:

@Kay Denney: I don't quite understand why you would find that derogatory. You're possibly reading something into it that isn't there. What I meant was this: my department (like most in-house translation departments) is mostly female .... which makes me feel unwelcome and unappreciated.

I understood exactly -and, fairly- what you were saying. You meant "I don't speak "women" in a room full of them".

It's like saying "I'm sitting like an idiot surrounded by a group of people speaking a language I don't speak nor even understand".

Even if you make the effort to "understand & speak women" and be part of their group, there is the inherent risk they might shun you after all, and in a "brutal" way (some of them are cute like that!😄😂🤣).

And, just for the sake of argument, if your intention was something "derogatory", then as they say "the joke would be on you", because you would be the one doing a "woman's job".

Final note: you don't owe them anything, no donut, no smile, unless of course they're paying you the same courtesy. Imagine the situation (or, should I say, the massacre!) if a woman here was given by a man the suggestion to shower her male colleagues with smiles and food so they would accept her! So sorry, but such a suggestion, is over-the-top SEXIST! And, views like these are laying the ground for more workplace sexism by offenders from both genders!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Yuk Oct 31, 2020

Kay Denney wrote:

I suggest you take a few doughnuts into work to get in their good books.

There are more calories in one doughnut than in a 3-course meal. There has been a campaign to get doughnuts accepted. We are in an obesity war and we need to decide what side we are on.

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Finally this thread is derailed onto something worth debating Oct 31, 2020

Tom in London wrote:
There are more calories in one doughnut than in a 3-course meal. There has been a campaign to get doughnuts accepted. We are in an obesity war and we need to decide what side we are on.

I stand on the side of freedom.

Liberty, fraternity, obesity!

Mervyn Henderson (X)

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Now read this Oct 31, 2020

"...it is likely that the trend to more and more sedentary lives will continue. Lower levels of physical activity are associated with lower daily energy requirements and will cause overweight and obesity unless food intake is adjusted accordingly. A typical fast food cheeseburger, chips, sugary drink, and dessert contains about 2200 kcal (9200 kJ),19 which at about 85 kcal per mile would require a person to complete a distance of about 26 miles (marathon) to expend the energy
... See more

"...it is likely that the trend to more and more sedentary lives will continue. Lower levels of physical activity are associated with lower daily energy requirements and will cause overweight and obesity unless food intake is adjusted accordingly. A typical fast food cheeseburger, chips, sugary drink, and dessert contains about 2200 kcal (9200 kJ),19 which at about 85 kcal per mile would require a person to complete a distance of about 26 miles (marathon) to expend the energy consumed."

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/38/3/360
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I don't care Oct 31, 2020

@Kay: I don't really care what you think to be honest. I sometimes find it hard as a man working in a female-dominated workplace and I feel no need to apologise to anyone for that.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Diversity" in the translation industry

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »