Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: How do you deal with stress ?
Thread poster: Lian Pang
Lian Pang
Lian Pang  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:41
Member (2018)
English to Chinese
+ ...
May 20, 2018

Hello everyone !

I am wondering, how do you deal with stress ? Do you meditate ? Yoga? Run ? Get a massage ? Hot bath ? Game ?

Recently I have been stressing out and having morning migraines every day. Not the most pleasurable experience I must say.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:41
Danish to English
+ ...
Some methods May 20, 2018

Some things I do:

• Avoid overbooking.

• Keep weekends and bank holidays free (the main thing is to have days to get the mind off translation, so in a slow period, these days could be weekdays, while I might work in a weekend). I am conscious about not always being at work just because of the Internet.

• Avoid letting the ever-present 'urgent' demands dominate (nearly everything seems to be urgent these days).

• Schedule holidays in adv
... See more
Some things I do:

• Avoid overbooking.

• Keep weekends and bank holidays free (the main thing is to have days to get the mind off translation, so in a slow period, these days could be weekdays, while I might work in a weekend). I am conscious about not always being at work just because of the Internet.

• Avoid letting the ever-present 'urgent' demands dominate (nearly everything seems to be urgent these days).

• Schedule holidays in advance.

• Gardening.

• A hot bath can work too, but it's best to avoid reaching the point where this becomes necessary.

Different people have different capacities, and it's important to find a work-life balance that is sane enough to avoid burnout.
Collapse

Sarah Lewis-Morgan
Sarah Lewis-Morgan  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
Get away from the computer May 20, 2018

Like Thomas, I try to keep weekend and bank holidays free, but if I can't, at least I try to get out into the fresh air as often as possible. I prefer to take a break in the afternoon if I don't have a pressing deadline and work again later if necessary, so I split up my day.

Having a dog and a horse helps - both need exercising, together whenever I can make time for riding.

The important thing is to take a break if it gets too much!

Maria Pat Scarpetta
Maria Pat Scarpetta
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Share your work with colleagues you can rely on May 20, 2018

Like Thomas I avoid overbooking since I do not hesitate to involve some other translators I particularly trust. I just give their contact details to the client. Clients may be shared to the benefit of everyone, I am not afraid about losing a client by introducing a colleague when I am busy.

Yolande Hivart
Yolande Hivart
Austria
Member (2016)
German to French
Learn to cut a line May 20, 2018

Hi!

In the first years of my work i was taking any kind of work and was working beyond my health, which in the end turned against me.

What I learned over the years:

- Set a time to read e-mails, if clients write outside normal office hours, this will be read the next day. Most likely the PM is not even in the office to note that you are away.
- I have a morning routine of relaxation (meditation) before starting work at home, even if I am ready before
... See more
Hi!

In the first years of my work i was taking any kind of work and was working beyond my health, which in the end turned against me.

- Set a time to read e-mails, if clients write outside normal office hours, this will be read the next day. Most likely the PM is not even in the office to note that you are away.
- I have a morning routine of relaxation (meditation) before starting work at home, even if I am ready before 9, i do something else, relaxing between starting really translation.
- I work with my break times shifted from my clients. Usually when I plan to work on weekend or on bank holiday (I live alone and like to work when everything outside is closed), I may have a short break before. This is not unusual that i have some fun on Friday afternoon and Monday morning if I have to deliver on Monday (and get it ready on Sunday evening).
- Learn to have breaks from works. If I work on weekend, I spend at least 1-2 hours in between doing some sport or hobbies. Or when eyes are tiring from computer.
- Learn to find the right clients. As for now, I have usually my workload booked around 2 weeks ahead with about 1000 words a day remaining for short urgent translations. I mostly do not spend time anymore answering clients that want something within 24 hours, at that moment even my remaining 1000 words are booked.
- On weak days I enjoyed doing nothing with enough reserve cash in the bank account to even live for at least one month without translating. While so far I did not need to touch it, it really helps the mind to remember that on a slow day the world does not get to an end and it will be stressy early enough, I can take the luxury of spending the morning in bed (and when i get that far it usually kicks in again).
- Avoiding stress is much better than having a reclamation because you took too much to carry and got overtired. In the long term when the quality improves you do not really need stress to have the same earning as from the days that you were so underrated that you had to ruin your life to survive.

Yolande
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
HOw? May 20, 2018

Lian Pang wrote:

Hello everyone !

I am wondering, how do you deal with stress ? Do you meditate ? Yoga? Run ? Get a massage ? Hot bath ? Game ?

Recently I have been stressing out and having morning migraines every day. Not the most pleasurable experience I must say.

I deal with stress by living alone. Lots of friendships, intimate and non-intimate, outside, but not in the house.

I relax by working. I like translating. I get stressed when I don't have any translations to do.

N.B. there's a difference between being stressed, and working flat out. The first is bad and the second is good.

[Edited at 2018-05-20 19:28 GMT]

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Spending time in nature May 21, 2018

Works for preventing and curing stress.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Cooking May 22, 2018

Cooking a real meal with fresh vegetables instead of eating junk food can be a pleasant way to wind down after the last word has been delivered. It doesn't have to take more than 20 minutes to fry some vegetables in olive oil and add some meat (provided you're not a vegetarian), herbs and spices, etc. I tend not to use recipes but use whatever is on promotion or looks good or inspiring in the stores, and then let various culinary traditions, such as Indian and Mediterranean, inspire me, not forg... See more
Cooking a real meal with fresh vegetables instead of eating junk food can be a pleasant way to wind down after the last word has been delivered. It doesn't have to take more than 20 minutes to fry some vegetables in olive oil and add some meat (provided you're not a vegetarian), herbs and spices, etc. I tend not to use recipes but use whatever is on promotion or looks good or inspiring in the stores, and then let various culinary traditions, such as Indian and Mediterranean, inspire me, not forgetting the northern cuisine either. One of the things I miss from the UK is Indian food, so if I want it, I have to cook it myself. I buy the spices and other food I can’t find in local stores online.

And then I plan my shopping so that I don't need to do it more often than twice a month, which saves time for more interesting activities.

Others will have other interests and talents, such as playing music, drawing and painting. Whatever you like to do which takes your mind off work is good.
Collapse

Georgie Scott
Georgie Scott  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Rabbits and people falling over May 22, 2018

All of the above, learning to manage my time and separate work from play, etc. But when I really can't relax and yoga or walks aren't doing the trick, I watch stupid videos of cute animals, people falling over (Spi0n) and comedy. Makes me sound like a child but nothing relaxes the body like smiling and laughing.

Magda P.
Magda P.  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Greek
+ ...
Stress from clients is also an issue May 22, 2018

Work with clients whose deadlines and requests are reasonable, try to avoid low-paying jobs, do not quote on jobs for which price is the only determinant, and stay away from clients who don't trust your judgement.
This does contribute to a less stressful life as a translator.

My remedy for work and non-work related stress is creative work, i.e. writing.
Take breaks from the computer is a must but so difficult to follow.

You pick whatever suits you best. It
... See more
Work with clients whose deadlines and requests are reasonable, try to avoid low-paying jobs, do not quote on jobs for which price is the only determinant, and stay away from clients who don't trust your judgement.
This does contribute to a less stressful life as a translator.

My remedy for work and non-work related stress is creative work, i.e. writing.
Take breaks from the computer is a must but so difficult to follow.

You pick whatever suits you best. It depends on your lifestyle.
Collapse

Lian Pang
Netherlands
Member (2018)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
always "on-line" May 22, 2018

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

I am conscious about not always being at work just because of the Internet.

True. This will definitely take me sometime . I feel like I am always "online" because of my smartphone. emails, phone calls , notifications ....

I have been keeping my phone beside the pillow for a long time. Because I love to watch family guy before i go to sleep. Now I definitely need to ditch this habit to avoid an aneurysm.

Lian Pang
Netherlands
Member (2018)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very practical advices, thank you ! May 22, 2018

Haneder wrote:

Hi!

- I have a morning routine of relaxation (meditation) before starting work at home, even if I am ready before 9, i do something else, relaxing between starting really translation.
- I work with my break times shifted from my clients. Usually when I plan to work on weekend or on bank holiday (I live alone and like to work when everything outside is closed), I may have a short break before. This is not unusual that i have some fun on Friday afternoon and Monday morning if I have to deliver on Monday (and get it ready on Sunday evening).
- Learn to have breaks from works. If I work on weekend, I spend at least 1-2 hours in between doing some sport or hobbies. Or when eyes are tiring from computer.
- Learn to find the right clients. As for now, I have usually my workload booked around 2 weeks ahead with about 1000 words a day remaining for short urgent translations. I mostly do not spend time anymore answering clients that want something within 24 hours, at that moment even my remaining 1000 words are booked.
- On weak days I enjoyed doing nothing with enough reserve cash in the bank account to even live for at least one month without translating. While so far I did not need to touch it, it really helps the mind to remember that on a slow day the world does not get to an end and it will be stressy early enough, I can take the luxury of spending the morning in bed (and when i get that far it usually kicks in again).
- Avoiding stress is much better than having a reclamation because you took too much to carry and got overtired. In the long term when the quality improves you do not really need stress to have the same earning as from the days that you were so underrated that you had to ruin your life to survive.

Yolande

Thank you very much for such detailed advices !

I have just begun to meditate, but effect after each session wears off pretty quickly. So I just set an alarm to meditate for 5 minutes every hour. I heard you need to persist for a long time to enjoy the results.

Expanding client base is crucial. I am only one month into full-time freelance business, so I am still struggling to find and establish stable relationships with clients. I gotta say, the start up phase is really hard, and I am barely keeping my head above the water. financial issues are also a source of stress. and the worst kind .

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Separate numbers May 22, 2018

Lian Pang wrote:

I feel like I am always "online" because of my smartphone. emails, phone calls , notifications ....

I have been keeping my phone beside the pillow for a long time. Because I love to watch family guy before i go to sleep. Now I definitely need to ditch this habit to avoid an aneurysm.

I keep separate landline and mobile numbers for private and business purposes, and I switch off the business numbers at the end of my working hours.

Technically and practically, I use a smartphone with two SIM card slots for this reason (and a subscription where I only pay for calls, not a flat rate), and my DSL package comes with more than one VoIP telephone numbers anyway.

I do keep an eye on e-mails, but don't feel obliged to reply outside my official business hours.

This separation is symbolic as much as real. It's important to have time off duty.

Lian Pang
Netherlands
Member (2018)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Kudos ! May 22, 2018

Maria Pat Scarpetta wrote:

Like Thomas I avoid overbooking since I do not hesitate to involve some other translators I particularly trust. I just give their contact details to the client. Clients may be shared to the benefit of everyone, I am not afraid about losing a client by introducing a colleague when I am busy.

That's very professional of you, Maria !

I've seen some really mean colleagues ... badmouthing behind their peers' back trying to win over clients . Or intentionally failing your translation test to avoid competition.

The industry need more people like you

Lian Pang
Netherlands
Member (2018)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
business still in the crib May 22, 2018

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

I do keep an eye on e-mails, but don't feel obliged to reply outside my official business hours.

This separation is symbolic as much as real. It's important to have time off duty.

That's kinda my biggest struggle. I am still in the start up phase as a full-time freelancer. I feel the need to grab every chance I can to expand. Sometimes I get clients from different time zones writing me at 10 or 11 pm (my local time), and I feel anxious about losing the opportunity.

I guess once my business is mature enough I can separate duty from leisure time. Or do I need to establish them right from the start ?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you deal with stress ?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »