What should I do so I can browse and open the files in a MemoQ project?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 00:00
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Aug 28, 2017

I had my computer powered on for over a week in a row while working on two big projects in MemoQ.

Now suddenly I can't even browse the files in MemoQ Documents view, and there is a dialogue saying "MemoQ was unable to connect to the server and synchronize the document. Your copy may not be up-to-date."

I even installed the new version 8.1, but same sluggishness all of a sudden. Worked quite well before.

What should I do?

Now MemoQ is completely
... See more
I had my computer powered on for over a week in a row while working on two big projects in MemoQ.

Now suddenly I can't even browse the files in MemoQ Documents view, and there is a dialogue saying "MemoQ was unable to connect to the server and synchronize the document. Your copy may not be up-to-date."

I even installed the new version 8.1, but same sluggishness all of a sudden. Worked quite well before.

What should I do?

Now MemoQ is completely unresponsive since several hours. I've restarted the computer several time, nothing works.

Now I could open a file again, but I get this error message (and no hits in the TM):

"Failed to get latest version of remote resources because the remote server is not available.
Your resources may not be up to date."

And MemoQ is completely unresponsive, I can't close dialogue boxes etc. until long, long time.

[Edited at 2017-08-28 02:30 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Are these server projects? Aug 28, 2017

Are you working on a project at a memoQ server located at your customer? If that is the case, it could well be that the server is down... Talk to your customer to find out. If the server is down, there is very little you can do until your customer starts it again. They might have turned it down unadvertedly for some backup or maintenance, or it might have crashed and nobody noticed because of the weekend.

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, both are server projects Aug 28, 2017

I tried one last thing now: checking out this problem project and checking out my other customer's big project. For this problem project I received the same error message again that no connection could be established with the server, but for my other customer's big project I could connect to it.

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 01:00
German to English
+ ...
Of course Aug 28, 2017

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:

I tried one last thing now: checking out this problem project and checking out my other customer's big project. For this problem project I received the same error message again that no connection could be established with the server, but for my other customer's big project I could connect to it.

each client has its independent server. One of the servers is down but the other one is live and kicking. I cannot figure out what's your problem?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Different memoQ servers... Aug 28, 2017

If they are different customers, obviously one server is working and the other is down for some reason. The fastest thing for you to do would be call them and call to their attention that the server seems to be down. This way, you will do a favour to other people working for them just now. Good luck!

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Big red cross and a white background Aug 28, 2017

Yes, of course that was my intention to checkout again, to verify whether the problem project differed in this regard to other projects. But not much to do than sending an e-mail and wait until they wake up (I work in another time zone).

Now I have a white background and big red cross in the upper part of MemoQ. But the TM connection works again, received reply from the customer that they had issues with the server. But what does this red cross mean?

And what is the bes
... See more
Yes, of course that was my intention to checkout again, to verify whether the problem project differed in this regard to other projects. But not much to do than sending an e-mail and wait until they wake up (I work in another time zone).

Now I have a white background and big red cross in the upper part of MemoQ. But the TM connection works again, received reply from the customer that they had issues with the server. But what does this red cross mean?

And what is the best way for future big projects like this to avoid this happening again? Is it always possible to get a local version of the project if I ask the customer? So that I use that immediately when the server connection is lost for longer periods, and then just synchronize later?
Collapse

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 01:00
German to English
+ ...
I have never seen this red cross but maybe you should simply restart MemoQ? Aug 28, 2017

And what is the best way for future big projects like this to avoid this happening again? Is it always possible to get a local version of the project if I ask the customer? So that I use that immediately when the server connection is lost for longer periods, and then just synchronize later?

I don't know what the red cross means, maybe you should restart the CAT tool?

As far as I am aware, no client will be ready to give to you a "local version"(offline version?) of its project. The only possibility is to export a bilingual RTF file and work with it during a client's server crash and then import the file after crash ending.

[Edited at 2017-08-28 09:00 GMT]

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Just in case you haven't done it yet Aug 28, 2017

Restart not only your computer, but everything between it and Internet (router, modem, "box"...).
Leave all these devices unplugged for a while to ensure that any temp memory is erased as well.

Philippe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What should I do so I can browse and open the files in a MemoQ project?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »