MemoQ Translator Pro - Different versions
Thread poster: Bauduina
Bauduina
Bauduina
Belgium
Sep 1, 2017

Hi,

I am thinking about switching from Wordfast Pro 5.0 (far too many bugs/error messages) to MemoQ.

I see that there exist a few different versions of MemoQ Translator Pro, and I am looking for some advise.

Should I go for Translator Pro:
- 2015 (7.8.167)?
- Adriatic (8.0.33)?
- 8.1.7?

Also, can you upgrade/downgrade freely between the different Translator Pro versions?

Thanks in advance for your help : )

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:29
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Best to go for the current version Sep 1, 2017

My advice is that you simply go for the current version. This way, you will benefit from the latest developments and will have faster support.

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 05:29
Chinese to English
+ ...
License works for current and older versions Sep 1, 2017

When you purchase a license you have access to the current version (and 1 year of updates on a standard license), and the license will also work for older versions. The latest version is usually preferable unless there is a particular reason, such as incompatibility with a client server.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:29
Danish to English
+ ...
2015 Sep 1, 2017

Some of us are unhappy that Kilgray replaced the Shift+F3 shortcut to change case with a small menu in MemoQ versions 8 and 8.1. It slows things down. I'm still on version 2015, as the newer versions are a real nuisance to use because of this.

I'm not sure why Tomás says you'll get faster support for the newest version. Version 2015 is still supported. Support/development have been disastrously slow and unclear (several months) when it comes to finding a solution to the self-made S
... See more
Some of us are unhappy that Kilgray replaced the Shift+F3 shortcut to change case with a small menu in MemoQ versions 8 and 8.1. It slows things down. I'm still on version 2015, as the newer versions are a real nuisance to use because of this.

I'm not sure why Tomás says you'll get faster support for the newest version. Version 2015 is still supported. Support/development have been disastrously slow and unclear (several months) when it comes to finding a solution to the self-made Shift+F3 problem in versions 8 and 8.1 that is acceptable for the users that prefer how it works in version 2015. What I don't understand is why they wasted time changing a function that worked very well, only to ruin the interface for many users, instead of fixing some of the many bugs and other issues reported.

The best is to try the different versions yourself, but it's probably best to avoid the intermediary version 8.0, as I read somewhere that it isn't going to be further developed. So the real choice is 2015 or 8.1.
Collapse

Bauduina
Bauduina
Belgium
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 1, 2017

Thank you all for your answers.

I am still hesitating between the two:
- 2015 is probably more stable, but I will need to upgrade at some point.
- With 8.1., I avoid needing to adapt to 2015 first, then to another version afterwards, and I probably have more functionalities, but I fear there might be more problems because it's newer and less people could help me with bugs, etc. As for the Shift+F3 problem, even though the shortcut exists in Wordfast Pro 5 as well, I'm no
... See more
Thank you all for your answers.

I am still hesitating between the two:
- 2015 is probably more stable, but I will need to upgrade at some point.
- With 8.1., I avoid needing to adapt to 2015 first, then to another version afterwards, and I probably have more functionalities, but I fear there might be more problems because it's newer and less people could help me with bugs, etc. As for the Shift+F3 problem, even though the shortcut exists in Wordfast Pro 5 as well, I'm not so used to using it, so it probably won't bother me too much.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ Translator Pro - Different versions

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »