Thread poster: Mark Hemming
Mark Hemming
Mark Hemming  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:48
Slovenian to English
+ ...
Oct 12, 2017

When importing a new .doc file, I get the message "memoQ cannot access the file. It may be open in another application, or there may be permission ranges defined in it." The file is not open in another application, so any idea how to solve this? There doesn't seen to be anything unusual in this file - any idea? Thanks in advance!

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 08:48
German to English
+ ...
My 2 cents only Oct 12, 2017

Mark Hemming wrote:

When importing a new .doc file, I get the message "memoQ cannot access the file. It may be open in another application, or there may be permission ranges defined in it." The file is not open in another application, so any idea how to solve this? There doesn't seen to be anything unusual in this file - any idea? Thanks in advance!

1.You should try to save the file as .docx
2. Usually this message appears if the file is open in Word

Mark Hemming
United Kingdom
Slovenian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks but Oct 12, 2017

Hi Maija,

Thanks for the idea - unfortunately it is already a .docx file (failed to mention this) and it's not open in Word. Any other ideas?

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 08:48
German to English
+ ...
If it's a file checked out from a client's server Oct 12, 2017

Maija Cirule wrote:

Mark Hemming wrote:

1.You should try to save the file as .docx
2. Usually this message appears if the file is open in Word

maybe your role is not specified correctly by the client. I have seen this error message several times but always when the file was open in Word.
If I were you, I would restart MemoQ. Sometimes this helps and definitely it wouldn't hurt to try.
Or contact the client - maybe the file is corrupt.
Of course, it's only a wild guess.

Christophe Delaunay
Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:48
Spanish to French
+ ...
You could also... Oct 12, 2017

1) do a right click on the file and see if it is not "read only".
2) click ctrl-alt-del and see what's in the list that shouldn't be there
3) try to take ownership of the folder where your file is.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/
... See more
1) do a right click on the file and see if it is not "read only".
2) click ctrl-alt-del and see what's in the list that shouldn't be there
3) try to take ownership of the folder where your file is.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

Good luck!

PD: have you tried to restart your computer?
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Try an unlocker Oct 12, 2017

Have you run an unlocker application such as Collomb's https://unlocker.soft32.com/ against the file to see the handles (instances of applications locking the file) on it? This one has helped me many times through the years.

The installation procedure adds it to Windows Explorer's context menu, which can be opened by right-clicking on the file or clicking the context menu button on the keyboard.
... See more
Have you run an unlocker application such as Collomb's https://unlocker.soft32.com/ against the file to see the handles (instances of applications locking the file) on it? This one has helped me many times through the years.

The installation procedure adds it to Windows Explorer's context menu, which can be opened by right-clicking on the file or clicking the context menu button on the keyboard. Unlocker is very simple to use.

You get the option to kill any handle, thereby freeing the file, although doing this may cause instability in the application locking the file (so you may need to restart that application after unlocking the file).

Sometimes it is Windows Explorer itself that keeps handles, thereby locking the file, and then it tells me that it can't do this or that, because the file is open in an application. At least Windows 7 may behave like this. If only Microsoft's developers paid as much attention to fixing such bugs as they did to making Windows 8 look an act like a telephone …

MS Office also has a nasty habit of keeping files locked after you close them. Only closing the application entirely removes the lock in such situations.
Collapse

Mark Hemming
United Kingdom
Slovenian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved Oct 12, 2017

Thanks for your help guys! I cracked it in the end.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error: memoQ cannot access the file

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »