Should I choose MemoQ instead of SDL Trados Studio for translation of a Word document with tables?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 14:35
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Feb 16, 2018

Should I choose MemoQ instead of SDL Trados Studio for translation of a Word document with tables?

I have license for both MemoQ and SDL Trados Studio, and for this job I can choose.

The tables are not complex, quite simple, but many of them. How does MemoQ handle tables, better or the same as SDL Trados Studio (which is, not very good)?

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
MemoQ Feb 16, 2018

When you import Excel files into MemoQ, you can choose the precise cell ranges you want to translate / not translate. The editor should also be able to provide a preview in the Preview pane for you.

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I chose MemoQ Feb 16, 2018

The only obstacle I have to always use MemoQ is the initial setup of projects. In SDL Trados Studio this goes much faster. Other than that MemoQ is superior to SDL Trados Studio in all ways!

Now I even got some hits from MyMemory plugin (TMs and termbases) even though I created a new project for this Word document and a new, empty TM. Just wonder where these hits come from. Very good hits, high quality hits, but I don't know where they come from... It says something about MateCat al
... See more
The only obstacle I have to always use MemoQ is the initial setup of projects. In SDL Trados Studio this goes much faster. Other than that MemoQ is superior to SDL Trados Studio in all ways!

Now I even got some hits from MyMemory plugin (TMs and termbases) even though I created a new project for this Word document and a new, empty TM. Just wonder where these hits come from. Very good hits, high quality hits, but I don't know where they come from... It says something about MateCat also in the TM windows.

I will check the formatting on the tables after a few pages and see. In Studio this is often a big problem.

[Edited at 2018-02-16 19:05 GMT]
Collapse

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Choose non-adjacent cells to translate? Feb 16, 2018

Mikhail, do you mean I can select when creating the project non-adjacent cells to translate in an Excel (or areas in a Word document or similar)? Very useful if that is the case for some customers that have files with yellow-marked text that needs to be translated.

I saw some option when I created the project where I think I could make this setting, don't remember what it was called.

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:35
German to Turkish
+ ...
homogeneity Feb 21, 2018

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:

Now I even got some hits from MyMemory plugin (TMs and termbases) even though I created a new project for this Word document and a new, empty TM. Just wonder where these hits come from. Very good hits, high quality hits, but I don't know where they come from... It says something about MateCat also in the TM windows.

[Edited at 2018-02-16 19:05 GMT]

If you have selected the homogeneity checkbox in the statistics window, these hits may reflect the inter-/intrafile repetitions.

Elif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »