Hiromasa Funaki  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 19:44
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Excuse Feb 28, 2020

The person in charge said on Feb. 27th in his email:

Our company is based on Wuhan city, literally the center of the coronavirus outbreak (the coronavirus is called COVID-19 by the World Health Organization) which is now spread worldwide. The public in China, not just in Wuhan, struggle to return to work after the coronavirus lockdown which happened since Jan 23 the day before Lunar New Year eve (Chinese Lunar New Year means everything in China, and we canceled celebrations nationwi
... See more
The person in charge said on Feb. 27th in his email:

Our company is based on Wuhan city, literally the center of the coronavirus outbreak (the coronavirus is called COVID-19 by the World Health Organization) which is now spread worldwide. The public in China, not just in Wuhan, struggle to return to work after the coronavirus lockdown which happened since Jan 23 the day before Lunar New Year eve (Chinese Lunar New Year means everything in China, and we canceled celebrations nationwide). China government decided to forbid guys who work for ordinary companies to return to work after the new year holiday, only government employees and doctors/nurses are allowed to work. Everything (include public transport) is shut down except for medical service, and everyone is either at home isolated or go to hospital for help. Everyone in our company can’t go to office but gladly we all can work from home so the projects are not affected but the finance will be affected that means we can neither receive money from our clients nor pay money to our vendors because Chinese banks are shut down as well. My bank manager can’t tell when they can return to work because it is not their decision to make. So we can’t do anything financially, not until China government lift the ban on lockdown.
So regarding your question, I can’t tell really. I hope the situation is getting better soon and lockdown is released soon and our life return to normal soon. The first thing will be making all those pending payments including yours. Don’t worry.

I sent my invoice on Feb. 5th and asked the date of payment for reconfirmation on 27th, because he missed the bank transfer last time (July, 2019), and did the payment thru Paypal immediately.

I have sent several email since last night, but no response from the company.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:44
Danish to English
+ ...
Be patient Feb 28, 2020

They have given you an explanation of the situation in addition to what you can already find in the news. This crisis was quite obviously not caused by this agency. It's not their choice when the services and infrastructure they need will reopen.

Realistically, you can't achieve anything in the short term by insisting – other than making yourself unpopular.

If the payment issue is causing problems in your end, you may have to explain this to your own creditors. In any
... See more
They have given you an explanation of the situation in addition to what you can already find in the news. This crisis was quite obviously not caused by this agency. It's not their choice when the services and infrastructure they need will reopen.

Realistically, you can't achieve anything in the short term by insisting – other than making yourself unpopular.

If the payment issue is causing problems in your end, you may have to explain this to your own creditors. In any case, it's always wise in a profession like ours to keep some savings for a rainy day and other bumps in the road.
Collapse

Mina Chen
IrinaN
Sabrina Bruna
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
David Lin
Vanda Nissen
Fatine Echenique

Hiromasa Funaki
Japan
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trustworthy? Feb 28, 2020

His excuse is too late for me to believe him and his company. Such company should not be a business partner of well known company like VMware.

Hiromasa Funaki
Japan
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
After Jan. 24 Feb 28, 2020

Almost projects I took were requested after the lockout of the city, but they never explained the situation when ordering. It is their responsibility to pay as stated in the agreement, and notify the change of term as soon as possible, if required.

I do not believe their explanation. I think they lost not the method of payment but money to be paid. Their financial situation might become worse after they received my invoice.

They have not replied me, possibly forever. It
... See more
Almost projects I took were requested after the lockout of the city, but they never explained the situation when ordering. It is their responsibility to pay as stated in the agreement, and notify the change of term as soon as possible, if required.

I do not believe their explanation. I think they lost not the method of payment but money to be paid. Their financial situation might become worse after they received my invoice.

They have not replied me, possibly forever. It is their answer.
Collapse

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:44
Japanese to English
+ ...
aftermath Feb 28, 2020

Realistic not impatient
China is in a wartime situation. Despite what the Chinese government says, realistically there are millions of infected and maybe as many as 50,000 dead from the virus. What about some compassion and understanding? Were I you, I would waive the fee.

IrinaN
Kay Denney
Vera Schoen
Angie Garbarino

Hiromasa Funaki
Japan
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
business not charity Feb 29, 2020

I have many Chinese friends and business partners. I love Chinese foods. I donated some for Sichuan earthquake.
I am too realistic to believe their sayings without doubting, as same as many Chinese people. I do not believe at all, they will pay after the bank reopens.
Were I they, notified me of the situation, and requested me to waive payment, when ordering the project, and kept communicating with me.

LIZ LI
LIZ LI  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 18:44
French to Chinese
+ ...
Do whatever you're thinking of Feb 29, 2020

Hiromasa Funaki wrote:

They have not replied me, possibly forever. It is their answer.

-"Empathy" is a word for adults, not immature kids.
This is what I just read from a book of parenting.
And I think it fits in right here.

Whenever my son keeps yielling with unreasonable request, I'll just leave him there.
That explains a lot.

Hiromasa Funaki
Japan
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
我是老头不是孩子 Feb 29, 2020

LIZ LI wrote:

Whenever my son keeps yielling with unreasonable request, I'll just leave him there.
That explains a lot.

Do you regard me as a kid?
Is my request to pay on schedule unreasonable?
Is it permissible for the company stop communication with me?
It is a business matter not family affair. I cannot get any information about the company, if they shut the door.

I have to use another channel for contacting them. Fortunately I know their clients.

I posted this topic as a precaution for other translator, especially to whom once worked with this company.
I need no further advice.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
How much money is at stake here? Feb 29, 2020

I might have missed this info in the thread, but how much money is on your invoice?

You are absolutely right that they are running a business, but so are you.
A business should have some cash reserves for "cushioning" if payment from a client is delayed.

Kay Denney
Vera Schoen

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Precautionary post --> BB Feb 29, 2020

Hiromasa Funaki wrote:

I posted this topic as a precaution for other translator, especially to whom once worked with this company.

That is a novel intention, but you should use the Blue Board for that. You cannot name the company here, so people reading this can only guess. On the Blue Board, you can express your concerns right on the BB page of the specific company.
If the company is not on the BB yet, you can add it.

[Edited at 2020-02-29 05:48 GMT]

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 18:44
Chinese to English
+ ...
Business Feb 29, 2020

A business should only looking to achieve maximum benefit under the circumstances, not settle a grudge or vendetta. Have you looked up procedures to collect from the next of kin?

[Edited at 2020-02-29 04:57 GMT]

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
coronavirus Feb 29, 2020

Special circumstances/tsugou ga aru desyoo.
It is possible your client is in the morgue or a crematorium.
What about letting up a bit on the drama?

I have friends in Wuhan and the situation is dire.

Maybe someone should write: "la traduccion en los tiempos del colera".

Dan Lucas
Tom in London
Fatine Echenique
Kay Denney

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
AFAIK Feb 29, 2020

AFAIK coronavirus cannot be transmitted electronically.

Hiromasa Funaki
Japan
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am not Good Nature Feb 29, 2020

Katalin Horváth McClure wrote:

I might have missed this info in the thread, but how much money is on your invoice?

Relatively large, but not critical.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Hiromasa Feb 29, 2020

I wonder what your payment terms are. You say they received your last invoice on the 5th February, we are on the 29th February and you seem really angry and upset. I do have a small number of very dear customers who pay promptly (meaning one day after receiving my invoice) but this is the exception, the norm is 30 days. Is it different in your country?

Sheila Wilson
MollyRose

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Aftermath of Coronavirus - Wuhan

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »