Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:57
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Bronagh Mar 16, 2021

Bronagh McInerney wrote:
How to charge [for the translation] for a 50 slide PowerPoint [file]?

If you have a CAT tool that can handle the PowerPoint format, then charge per word for the text, and charge an hourly fee for fixing the formatting afterwards. If you don't have a CAT tool that can handle PowerPoint files, charge an hourly fee for the translation and formatting. Remember to ask the client if you also need to translate the notes, and explain to the client that you'll put the translation of non-editable content in a separate Word file.

Philippe Etienne
Dan Lucas

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Don't. NEVER charge power point by word (if you can help it) Mar 16, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

Bronagh McInerney wrote:
How to charge [for the translation] for a 50 slide PowerPoint [file]?

If you have a CAT tool that can handle the PowerPoint format, then charge per word for the text, and charge an hourly fee for fixing the formatting afterwards. If you don't have a CAT tool that can handle PowerPoint files, charge an hourly fee for the translation and formatting. Remember to ask the client if you also need to translate the notes, and explain to the client that you'll put the translation of non-editable content in a separate Word file.

Charge $'s per slide.

You'll get better money

Extracted text from slides oftentimes amounts to sh!t-all word count laden with terminology and incomplete sentences... often new terms on just about every slide.

And then there are graphs, charts, and title pages, which would otherwise be practically free

PS price high. This is always client/boss-facing material that actually gets seen and makes the biggest impressions, so they actually care about quality.

[Edited at 2021-03-16 13:23 GMT]

Sadek_A
Rachel Waddington
Nena Perovic
Christopher Schröder
bris97

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
By the hour Mar 16, 2021

See how long it takes, round it up, bill, simples.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Bronagh McInerney
Bronagh McInerney  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:57
Member (2020)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the advice. Mar 16, 2021

Thanks I hope it doesn't take me longer than 2 hours I have a habit of overestimating my speed!

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Unfortunate Mar 17, 2021

Bronagh McInerney wrote:

Thanks I hope it doesn't take me longer than 2 hours I have a habit of overestimating my speed!

Unless you have far higher hourly rates than most of the rest of us, it sounds like you didn't quote the $250 - 500 you probably could have asked.

[Edited at 2021-03-17 06:04 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to charge for a 50 slide PowerPoint

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »