Off topic: Witness Change ~ Open Roles (for volunteers)
Thread poster: Serhan Elmacıoğlu
Serhan Elmacıoğlu
Serhan Elmacıoğlu  Identity Verified
English to Turkish
+ ...
Nov 28, 2020

Dear All,

We are producing a really big project which will contribute to changing how refugees are perceived in Europe. We are telling the stories of 1000 refugees. Their interviews are 30 - 45 minutes long each and in 20 different languages (please see all the languages below). That’s why I’m reaching out to you. We need help in the following way:

1. Checking Transcripts against original audio: Transcriptions are created automatic
... See more
Dear All,

We are producing a really big project which will contribute to changing how refugees are perceived in Europe. We are telling the stories of 1000 refugees. Their interviews are 30 - 45 minutes long each and in 20 different languages (please see all the languages below). That’s why I’m reaching out to you. We need help in the following way:

1. Checking Transcripts against original audio: Transcriptions are created automatically with speech recognition technology, but depending on the language and the quality of the audio, it is more or less accurate and needs to be double checked. We also need English speakers for this task.
2. Transcribing from audio: sometimes, with less commonly used languages in the west, we will need someone to do transcripts. The languages needing manual transcriptions are: Azerbaijani, Farsi, Kurdish, Tigrigna
3. Translating to English: Once we have the checked transcripts, they need to be translated.

Interviews will be conducted in the following languages:

-Arabic
-Azerbaijani
-Croatian
-Dutch
-English
-Farsi
-French
-German
-Italian
-Korean
-Kurdish
-Spanish
-Swedish
-Tigrigna
-Turkish

We would really appreciate it if you could help us by taking on one or both of the above tasks. We are reaching out to volunteers and hoping each can commit to doing five each. Because we will need a lot of volunteers. Please do connect Madam Aude Barbera by email to anyone else you think you might know who would be willing to help.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Please contact to Madam Aude Barbera:
email: [email protected]
mobile phone number: +44 (0) 7852138455

Yours sincerely,
Serhan

[Edited at 2020-11-29 16:24 GMT]
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 06:55
Dutch to English
+ ...
Interested Nov 29, 2020

Where can I find your organization online?

Serhan Elmacıoğlu
Serhan Elmacıoğlu  Identity Verified
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Further information can be found on witnesschange.org Nov 29, 2020

Thanks for reaching out to me. If you are interested in being part of the volunteer, please contact Madam Aude Barbera via WhatsApp or email.
Best Regards

[Edited at 2020-11-29 16:30 GMT]

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 06:55
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Serhan Nov 30, 2020

I asked about a website because I need more information before I contact a person I know nothing about. It is the usual thing to do for translators to check on an outsourcer on the Blue Board or on their website before entering into any further contact. Without further information I'm not interested.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:55
German to English
+ ...
The volunteer part Nov 30, 2020

Tbh, that bothers me. This appears to be an incredible amount of work. The fact that speech has been transcribed through software sounds like a big head-ache, and much more work fixing, than transcribing in the first place. Maybe it's just me.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Witness Change ~ Open Roles (for volunteers)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »