Thread poster: Manjeet
Manjeet
Manjeet
Local time: 18:04
English to Hindi
+ ...
May 11, 2020

Hi
I would like to have some information about certified pro. What is it and what are its benefits?

Thanks.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:34
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Manjeet May 11, 2020

Manjeet Hundal wrote:
I would like to have some information about Certified Pro. What is it and what are its benefits?

https://www.proz.com/cpn
https://www.proz.com/pro-tag/info/about/freelancers

FWIW, only 4564 members at ProZ.com are "certified pro".

Aline Amorim
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Manjeet
Manjeet
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Positive benefits? May 12, 2020

I had been through the link previously. But I want to know after getting certified what positive changes did a translator see in career.
Was he able to get connected with new clients or outsourcer?

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Manjeet May 12, 2020

Manjeet Hundal wrote:
I want to know, after getting certified, what positive changes [will] a translator see in his/her career.

It's impossible to tell how much of a translator's future success is due to him/her having gotten certified. Being certified has three small advantages: (1) it is possible for clients who search the directory to exclude non-certified translators, (2) certified translators can add an item to their profile pages that highlight their certification, and (3) a red "P" icon appears next to their name in directory searches, so clients who know what the red "P" means may decide to use them instead of someone else. There are no other "real" advantages that I'm aware of.

P.L.F. Persio
Alexander Papliakas

Souleymane Ba
Souleymane Ba  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:34
English to Fulani
+ ...
CERTIFIED PRO May 13, 2020

I totally agree with you. This seems to be one of the benefits.

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Look at it from the perspective of a client May 13, 2020

Let's say you're looking for a translator here on ProZ and you find two candidates who've been a member since only one year. I'd pick the translator with the Certified PRO badge. The badge can be a sign of excellence, but apart from that only members who’ve jumped through all the hoops receive it, and that alone sets them apart.

Try to get the badge, it's not that easy,
Gerard

Tom in London

Manjeet
Manjeet
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
next step after applying May 14, 2020

Well, I understood what certified pro means. If I decide of apply, will I have to verify my educational credentials and be asked to take an assessment test for translation?

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Manjeet May 14, 2020

Manjeet Hundal wrote:
If I decide of apply, will I have to verify my educational credentials and be asked to take an assessment test for translation?

See here for what will be required of you:
https://www.proz.com/pro-tag/info/express-interest

There is no translation test, but you are asked to submit an additional translation sample. Go to Wikipedia, find a piece of text of about 400 words that you believe will showcase your translation ability best (to translators who are professional but may not be specifically knowledgeable in your field), and translate it as best you can.

You don't have to have your credentials verified by an external party, but you are asked to submit your credential to ProZ.com staff for verification (I suspect they just look at it to see if it looks real). The credential must be a scanned copy and you must provide an English translation of it. I don't think it needs to be a sword translation -- you can just do the translation yourself.

You claim to be a member of the ITI, but your name doesn't come up in a member search on the ITI web site, so perhaps you should add your ITI membership number in the comments section to make it easier to verify that you are indeed a member of the ITI as you say that you are.

I suspect you'll be asked to submit an English-to-Hindi translation only. On your profile, you claim to be a Hindi-to-English translator as well, but your English is quite poor, and it clearly shows in your profile page's "Bio" section. So, I recommend that you fix all the language mistakes in your profile page, even if you're applying only for "to Hindi" and not for "to English".

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:34
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I refused May 14, 2020

Gerard de Noord wrote:

Try to get the badge. It's not that easy,
Gerard

( I have corrected the punctuation in the quotation above. I can't stand misplaced commas).

I know it's not easy. A long time ago I turned down an invitation to get the badge. This was because I don't like elites and I don't want to be a member of one.

Then a while later, at a time when I was slightly desperate for work, I decided to ask for the badge again, but the amount of bureacracy put me off.

I think the badge doesn't count for much more than your ability to go through a process and jump through some hoops. Not having one has never been an impediment to me.

P.L.F. Persio

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Muphry's law May 14, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

( I have corrected the punctuation in the quotation above. I can't stand misplaced commas).

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Bart Ackermans (X)

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Love it! May 14, 2020

Gerard de Noord wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Muphry's law indeed. Hilarious!

[Edited at 2020-05-14 13:07 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Pick (the odd) one (out) May 14, 2020

1. The first rule of the Certified PRO network program is: you do not talk about the Certified PRO network program*.

2. The second rule of the Certified PRO network program is: "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member".

3. The third rule of the Certified Pro network program is: to enjoy the rarefied air up here, show that you can climb and that you've done a few expeditions before.

4. The fourth rule of the Certified Pro network program is:
... See more
1. The first rule of the Certified PRO network program is: you do not talk about the Certified PRO network program*.

2. The second rule of the Certified PRO network program is: "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member".

3. The third rule of the Certified Pro network program is: to enjoy the rarefied air up here, show that you can climb and that you've done a few expeditions before.

4. The fourth rule of the Certified Pro network program is: pick the rule you prefer from the above three, or pick your nose, whichever comes first.

*Not true (this rule only applies to discussing the certification process).

[Open parenthesis]Bonus rule: Keep your friends close and your punctuation closer in these forums.[close parenthesis]

[Edited at 2020-05-14 14:24 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
P.L.F. Persio

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:34
Member (2008)
Italian to English
What May 14, 2020

Gerard de Noord wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

What did you correct?

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Hidden in plain sight May 14, 2020

A space was introduced after the opening parenthesis where there shouldn't be any.

Manjeet
Manjeet
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 18, 2020

Thanks for all the information. It was really very helpful.

I will definitely try to improve my profile and pay more attention towards it.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is certified pro

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »