Netherlands
Local time: 12:31
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Apr 28, 2020

See also discussion here:
https://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/343253.html

For KudoZ, it sometimes happens that a question is not answered formally, but the answer appears in the discussion. This means that the question remains "unanswered" even though there is an answer in the discussion, or even though the correct answer is clear from the discussion. It is then up to one of
... See more

For KudoZ, it sometimes happens that a question is not answered formally, but the answer appears in the discussion. This means that the question remains "unanswered" even though there is an answer in the discussion, or even though the correct answer is clear from the discussion. It is then up to one of the translators who have the necessary access rights to "answer" the question by filling in the correct answer from the discussion, but then those translators also get the points, despite not being the source of the answer themselves. To encourage translators who can see the answer in the discussion, but who do not want to claim the points as if they were the source of the answer, there should be an option to "answer" without getting points.

My suggestion is that an addition item be added to the drop-down box for "Confidence level" called "See discussion" that would cause the answer to award zero points if the answer is accepted.

[Edited at 2020-04-28 09:46 GMT]
Collapse

Jessica Noyes
Goumiri Abdennour
Sheila Wilson
Philip Lees

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
How do you know? Apr 28, 2020

Samuel, I don't care much about the origin or hints, but you made a point.

On the other hand, how could one prove it and for what? Many people just don't read Discussion section, nor it break the ProZ rules. Or the mods have too much free time?

To my mind, it's very much like 'no-Google' translation, when one must check every MT to avoid even correct phrases and sentences.

ahartje
ahartje
Portugal
Local time: 11:31
Member (2006)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Why? Apr 28, 2020

Isn´t there already an option, by which the asker can select to give no points for any answer?

Thomas Pfann
Aline Amorim

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ahartje Apr 28, 2020

ahartje wrote:
Isn´t there already an option, by which the asker can select to give no points for any answer?

Yes, the asker can decide, but the answerer can't. It's just too much of a hassle to have to contact every asker individually asking them to please not award any points, and also explain why. Also, if the asker doesn't return, then KudoZ points are awarded automatically after a while, and there is nothing the answerer can do about it. His reputation is in the hands of a bot.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:31
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Magnitutde of the issue? Apr 28, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

For KudoZ, it sometimes happens that a question is not answered formally, but the answer appears in the discussion. This means that the question remains "unanswered" even though there is an answer in the discussion, or even though the correct answer is clear from the discussion. It is then up to one of the translators who have the necessary access rights to "answer" the question by filling in the correct answer from the discussion, but then those translators also get the points, despite not being the source of the answer themselves. To encourage translators who can see the answer in the discussion, but who do not want to claim the points as if they were the source of the answer, there should be an option to "answer" without getting points.

Does this happen Frequently? In my languages pairs, this scenario is exceptional. It happened once or twice in about 15 years.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:31
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
is this an issue that deserves such an attention? Apr 28, 2020

jyuan_us wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

Does this happen frequently? In my languages pairs, this scenario is exceptional. It happened once or twice in the last 15 years.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 04:31
Dutch to English
+ ...
Not a big issue Apr 28, 2020

I don't think this 'problem' is important enough to warrant a new feature. If a person gives the right answer in the discussion, it is up to them to post that as an answer. Sometimes they are encouraged to do so, either by the asker or the other participants in the discussion. Why not make it an answer - is it uncertainty, false modesty, or what?

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:31
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Something like that could be useful Apr 28, 2020

I wouldn't consider this a "must-have" but it does happen quite often. There are several common scenarios:

1. In a monolingual question, when the asker doesn't really want or need an answer as such, but is really looking more for confirmation of their own understanding. The discussion box seems more relevant.
2. Where so little context is given that it's impossible to know for sure what's right. Often in that case it's the asker who asks for what turns out to be the correct an
... See more
I wouldn't consider this a "must-have" but it does happen quite often. There are several common scenarios:

1. In a monolingual question, when the asker doesn't really want or need an answer as such, but is really looking more for confirmation of their own understanding. The discussion box seems more relevant.
2. Where so little context is given that it's impossible to know for sure what's right. Often in that case it's the asker who asks for what turns out to be the correct answer to be posted. If it's my suggestion, I don't regard myself as deserving points; I was just lucky enough to guess the right term.
3. In marketing questions, where multiple answers are all "correct", e.g. a slogan or in a situation that involves a play on words. Those are more brainstorming exercises than answers. Again, a lot depends on context -- but in this case the asker couldn't possibly disclose all the context.

I don't know or particularly care what the best way is to handle these cases. But it does seem odd that we're asked to copy discussion text into the answer box just so the asker can close the question. And I have at times included a note to the effect that I don't want to be awarded points.
Collapse

Jessica Noyes

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Tina Apr 28, 2020

Tina Vonhof wrote:
I don't think this 'problem' is important enough to warrant a new feature.

This is why my suggestion simply tacks it onto an existing feature.

Jessica Noyes

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Option to answer KuduZ question without getting the points

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »