Local time: 03:14
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Rating counts Oct 27, 2014

Samuel Murray wrote:

Erik Freitag wrote:
philgoddard wrote:
Last time I looked, there were a lot of good entries that hadn't been rated at all...

As far as I know, you can't tell wether an entry has been rated or not. What you can see is wether it has been tagged.

Aaah, so we must RATE the entries (i.e. give them stars)? So, I just wasted a lot of time adding tags and agreeing/disagreeing, when what was really required was for me to give STARS to the efforts?

Correct. There seems to be a lot of confusion about this. Tagging really is just for fun, so to speak.

PS: http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_translation_contests/275546-finals_round_voting_now_open_in_the_annual_translation_contest.html#2354305

[Bearbeitet am 2014-10-27 10:06 GMT]

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Rating 1 or 2 is not fair Oct 27, 2014

I think the whole process is taking far too long, and, besides, the way I see it, rating just a couple is unfair, as you read one, but miss another which may be way low in the list of entries. It practically means that which ever you happen to read first, you will rate, and leave out another which might deserve the same rating. I have lost confidence and interest as there are too many left in the qualification round (32) to read and rate, and I cannot say in other language pairs-IT>MT, EN>MT. Al... See more
I think the whole process is taking far too long, and, besides, the way I see it, rating just a couple is unfair, as you read one, but miss another which may be way low in the list of entries. It practically means that which ever you happen to read first, you will rate, and leave out another which might deserve the same rating. I have lost confidence and interest as there are too many left in the qualification round (32) to read and rate, and I cannot say in other language pairs-IT>MT, EN>MT. Also, no one gives feedback in a language pair where there have only been a couple or less entries. The whole process has to be changed, as I see it.Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Misunderstanding Oct 27, 2014

Josephine Cassar wrote:

rating just a couple is unfair, as you read one, but miss another which may be way low in the list of entries. It practically means that which ever you happen to read first, you will rate, and leave out another which might deserve the same rating.

No. Every single rating will improve the validity of the results. No harm is done by rating one entry and ignoring another.

Although this has been explained a couple of times, it is still a very frequent misunderstanding.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:14
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
They're presented in random order Oct 27, 2014

Josephine Cassar wrote:
rating just a couple is unfair, as you read one, but miss another which may be way low in the list of entries. It practically means that which ever you happen to read first, you will rate, and leave out another which might deserve the same rating.

If everyone missed the same ones then that would be very unfair. But what's last in your list may be first in someone else's list so it's very unlikely that anyone will be discriminated against. Rating a few is better than rating none.

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
@Jared Oct 27, 2014

Jared Tabor wrote:

Yes, you can rate any entries in your pair that you wish. The variant information may be of use to some raters, but there is no obligation to limit your ratings to a given variant in your pair. And thanks for rating!

OK, I have rated more entries now, thanks a lot.

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
What does "sufficient amount of votes" mean? Oct 30, 2014

Winners will soon be announced in language pairs which have received a sufficient amount of votes during the finals round.

I read this on contest page: http://www.proz.com/translation-contests/41

Could you please provide mathematical values instead of words?

Thanks,

M. Ali

Katarzyna Zarzycka
Katarzyna Zarzycka  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Polish
+ ...
I agree! Oct 30, 2014

Gitte Hovedskov, MCIL wrote:

The contest seems to go on and on and on for ages, and it sort of loses its credibility if you keep changing the rules, I think.

Maybe people are just not bothered to rate the translations that are now in an extended qualifications round, but they may be bothered to vote if you move those language combinations on to the finals round.

I actually changed my mind (about not voting as I have entered an entry myself) and went in to rate my fellow competitors' translations just to do my bit to speed things up. However, in my language combination (English to Danish), there are only 12 entries, and I would have been quite happy to allocate my choice of 1st, 2nd and 3rd best among this number, rather than having to rate them first, then wait an undefined period of time to go back to read any number of translations again to vote in the finals.

Any excitement or interest in the contest is quickly oozing away, I'm afraid... Let's just get on with it, Jared, please...

[Edited at 2014-10-05 05:57 GMT]

Claudia Cherici
Claudia Cherici  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
? Nov 4, 2014

Hi Jared
the deadline was days ago....still no news? when will we know something? thank you!

Michael Tang
Michael Tang
China
Local time: 10:14
English to Chinese
same question Nov 4, 2014

When will we know the result?

Abdi Y Abdi
Abdi Y Abdi  Identity Verified
Kenya
Local time: 05:14
Member (2014)
English to Somali
+ ...
When the finals will be announced Nov 4, 2014

My language pair its only four entries that participated the contest.

But we are still wondering and waiting

Do you think it will take time to announce the winner or there is no winner

Abdi

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 23:14
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Soon, thanks for the patience Nov 4, 2014

Hi all,

It takes some time to review everything between phases, and this contest has been the biggest yet, so it is taking longer than usual. I can tell you that some pairs received enough ratings to move to finals, and of the pairs already in finals, there were some which did not receive enough votes to clearly determine a winner (in which case they will remain in finals voting).

I hope to have a more detailed announcement out in the next day or so. Thanks for your pa
... See more
Hi all,

It takes some time to review everything between phases, and this contest has been the biggest yet, so it is taking longer than usual. I can tell you that some pairs received enough ratings to move to finals, and of the pairs already in finals, there were some which did not receive enough votes to clearly determine a winner (in which case they will remain in finals voting).

I hope to have a more detailed announcement out in the next day or so. Thanks for your patience.

Jared
Collapse

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Very discouraging for entrants Nov 4, 2014

I think it is very discouraging for participants when a competition drags on and on, and when one learns that tags are just for fun, after having gone through them. In a way, allowing only those who participated as they know the source text so well is counter-productive in some language pairs, especially when there will have been only a few entrants as no one votes. How can I vote for an entry which I consider has so many mistakes, and clearly not by a native? And no one provides feedback when t... See more
I think it is very discouraging for participants when a competition drags on and on, and when one learns that tags are just for fun, after having gone through them. In a way, allowing only those who participated as they know the source text so well is counter-productive in some language pairs, especially when there will have been only a few entrants as no one votes. How can I vote for an entry which I consider has so many mistakes, and clearly not by a native? And no one provides feedback when there is only 1 entry. I hope something will be done for future competitions. I hate this dragging on and on.Collapse

Yuri Smirnov
Yuri Smirnov  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:14
English to Belarusian
+ ...
When? Nov 12, 2014

When will the results be announced?

Jule Eitel
Jule Eitel  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
It would be great to get some information about the status quo Nov 13, 2014

Jared Tabor wrote:

I hope to have a more detailed announcement out in the next day or so. Thanks for your patience.

Jared

Hi Jared,
Please let us know what is going on. Why have the results not been published yet?

Thank you and kind regards,
Jule

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Finals round voting now open in the annual translation contest

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »