A Scam via ProZ.com, or am I just a little too much schizophrenic?
Thread poster: Claudio Nasso
Claudio Nasso
Claudio Nasso  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 01:22
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 31, 2017

Dear all,

as many of you (I suppose), translating English > Italian, today I have found in my E-mail inbox folder the following message, sent via the ProZ.com directory mass mailing system:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stile memo_Redacted

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• The link to the Sender’s profile is practically non-existent, and it has been created in August 2017.

• The Sender’s IP address is generic (Secure Internet LLC – Huston TX – USA).

• When browsing to access the Sender’s Web site tied to the Sender’s E-mail address I have been redirected to “GoDaddy LLC” platform who declares that the domain is parked free on their platform, without any other information.

Now the logical result should be to consider it as a scam/spam delivered through the ProZ.com platform.

Am I right, or am I just too schizophrenic/suspicious?

And, could ProZ.com try to filter/assess these massive messages before they are sent, in particular when generated by these “ghost” profiles?

Thank you.

Claudio

[Edited at 2017-08-31 07:48 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:22
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Hmmm Sep 1, 2017

They wouldn't be calling themselves Trusted Italian, would they?

http://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/315913-a_new_translation_agency_offering_services_as_a_proz_member.html

Eleonora_P
Eleonora_P  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2012)
English to Italian
+ ...
Same email Sep 1, 2017

I received that a couple of days ago.
It sounded weird to me too and I thought it was a scam for the same reasons Claudio pointed out.
And also... 20 million words?! Really?
LOL.

@Sheila: yes! That's the agency, thanx for posting the link to the other topic. Apparently they are now changing their name according to the different languages... LOL again.

[Modificato alle 2017-09-01 17:28 GMT]

[Modificato alle 2017-09-01 17:30 GMT]

Silvia Schulz
Silvia Schulz
Netherlands
English to German
+ ...
Same for German Sep 1, 2017

Hi Everyone,

A few days ago I got the same email from "Trusted German". I also thought it was spam and ignored it.

Have a nice weekend,
Silvia

Romina Navarro
Romina Navarro
Spain
English to Spanish
And it is SO flattering... Sep 1, 2017

... reading this "I have reviewed your credentials and base on your qualifications I believe you are a very good fit for a freelance position for this project" in a massive email addressing a 'dear colleague'. LOL

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
You meant to say "paranoid"? Sep 1, 2017

You meant to say "paranoid"? Seeing danger everywhere is paranoia, schizophrenia is something else altogether.

Now, there is this old saying

"just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"

and it seems to apply to these people. It doesn't smell of roses for sure, where exactly is the scam is not very relevant, just don't waste your time on them.

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:22
Japanese to English
+ ...
Scam? Sep 1, 2017

I think "20,000,000 words" is a dead giveaway.

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
I think "20,000,000 words" is a dead giveaway.... Sep 1, 2017

agree
above all from a Total Stranger sprouted like a mushroom yesterday on Proz, and whose address domain doesn't exist

BTW, do you know if French translators received the message from "Trusted French", Spanish translators from "Trusted Spanish", and so on maybe?

Claudio

[Edited at 2017-09-01 23:04 GMT]

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 09:22
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Same for Russian Sep 2, 2017

It was Trusted Russian.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Trusted Italian Sep 2, 2017

Sheila Wilson wrote:

It was in fact an Italian who is reported to have said "Fidarsi è bene. Non fidarsi è meglio". That's a principle you can trust.

By the way, most of the untrustworthy people I've met were not Italian.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
It was a suggested identity, Tom Sep 2, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

Sheila Wilson wrote:

It was in fact an Italian who is reported to have said "Fidarsi è bene. Non fidarsi è meglio". That's a principle you can trust.

By the way, most of the untrustworthy people I've met were not Italian.

I would never assign characteristics like that to an entire nation, Tom. It's individuals who are trustworthy or not. Click on the link I gave and you'll see why I said it - and apparently I was right!

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
paranoïa / schizophrenis Sep 3, 2017

Daryo wrote:

You meant to say "paranoid"? Seeing danger everywhere is paranoia, schizophrenia is something else altogether.

I suspect that the poster did mean "paranoid".

Daryo, FYI, schizophrenia with paranoïa is (one of?) the most common forms of schizophrenia. It is not "something else altogether".

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
real vs imagined ... Sep 4, 2017

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:

Daryo wrote:

I suspect that the poster did mean "paranoid".

Daryo, FYI, schizophrenia with paranoïa is (one of?) the most common forms of schizophrenia. It is not "something else altogether".

yes, they can be and often are combined, but they are not the same; my point being that "schizophrenia" is often (mis)used to mean indiscriminately ANY mental illness.

other more important point: unfortunately you don't need any dose of paranoia to "spot a scam" of the imagined variety, just some basic due diligence will uncover more than enough of the very real ones!

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:22
Member (2008)
English to French
Yup! Sep 5, 2017

Claudio Porcellana wrote:

agree
above all from a Total Stranger sprouted like a mushroom yesterday on Proz, and whose address domain doesn't exist

BTW, do you know if French translators received the message from "Trusted French", Spanish translators from "Trusted Spanish", and so on maybe?

Claudio

[Edited at 2017-09-01 23:04 GMT]

I received the same email from 'Trusted French'

I didn't follow the link (because I don't take candy nor follow links from strangers), but after a quick search that came up empty for the company, I sent a reply asking for more information about them.... and it went undelivered because the recipient server is down.

So don't follow the link people, seems to be the one thing this scammer wants - none of the return servers exist - they probably fired off a ton of spam and then took them down.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Background check Sep 6, 2017

Received 31 August 2017 this bit from "trusted French", found that the owner of trustedls.com was Mohsen K., with a profile on TM-Town and 22 domain names registered with him.
The idea may have been to impersonate "Trusted language solutions", a company that claims to have translated 870 million words, whose owner may be Hina A., according to their LinkedIn profile, also owner of another translation company with a profile here that seems legit and a "normal" Blue Board.

I also
... See more
Received 31 August 2017 this bit from "trusted French", found that the owner of trustedls.com was Mohsen K., with a profile on TM-Town and 22 domain names registered with him.
The idea may have been to impersonate "Trusted language solutions", a company that claims to have translated 870 million words, whose owner may be Hina A., according to their LinkedIn profile, also owner of another translation company with a profile here that seems legit and a "normal" Blue Board.

I also asked for more info from my e-mail address dedicated to junk, and found out it couldn't be delivered. I also asked how come could they know how smashing my credentials are without visiting my profile.

I suppose they just wanted a database filled by consenting translators with their details and generate money with it.

Philippe
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »