Another phony “full-time/part-time job” offer making the rounds.
Thread poster: Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 8, 2020

Below is the latest iteration in this scam. This is maybe the tenth such “offer” I’ve received in the last three years.

Hello Robert Forstag,

After a quick review of your profile on American Translators Association, we write to present Scinopharm Translator/Interpreter job (Full-Time/Part-Time) Position.

SCINOPHARM is a global manufacturer of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs), providing a wide array of APIs and the development and manufacturing
... See more
Below is the latest iteration in this scam. This is maybe the tenth such “offer” I’ve received in the last three years.

Hello Robert Forstag,

After a quick review of your profile on American Translators Association, we write to present Scinopharm Translator/Interpreter job (Full-Time/Part-Time) Position.

SCINOPHARM is a global manufacturer of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs), providing a wide array of APIs and the development and manufacturing services of intermediates. In addition to supplying famous pharmaceutical companies and generic drugs manufacturers around the world, we also provide API outsourcing services for new drug development companies and patented big pharmaceutical companies.Mainly supplying the international API market, ScinoPharm has become one of the leading international oncology generic APIs suppliers (in terms of generic APIs supply), offering bulk, diversified and world leading anti-cancer drugs.

Hence, we are in search of individuals and companies irrespective of the current business type for a Translator/Interpreter Position.

Responsibilities:
- Read given material and research industry-specific terminology
- Convert text and audio recordings from one language to one or more other languages
- Ensure translated content conveys original meaning and tone
- Prepare subtitles for videos and online presentations
- Cross-reference specialized dictionaries and translation tools to check quality of translation
- Proofread translated texts for grammar, spelling, and punctuation accuracy
- Follow up with internal team members and clients to ensure translation meets their needs
- Edit content with an eye for maintaining its original format (e.g. font and structure)
- Network with field experts to stay current on new translation tools and practices

Requirements
- Proven work experience as a Translator, Interpreter or similar role
- Excellent proofreading skills with the ability to identify grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors
- Good knowledge of Content Editing tools
- Familiarity with Translation Software
- Time Management Skills
- Additional certification in Linguistics is a plus

Job Type: Full-time/Part-time
Hourly Rate: $30 to $40/Hour
Training Rate: $20/Hour

If interested, follow the steps below to schedule your interview session:
Send the below information and Resume to: Mrs Katy Cheng
([email protected])
Name:
Name of Company (Current employer):
Position Held:
Postal Address:
Cell Number:
Interview Scheduled : Mondays - Fridays
Venue: On line Via Google Hangouts
Time : 9:00 AM-5:00 PM CST
Training is Available.

Your verification code is (SPI/AP2020-6054). This would serve as your identification number throughout the on-line hiring process. This is an online work from home and working hours are flexible.

Your swift and timely response matters a lot as this is an immediate hire position... We look forward to having you on the team.

Sincerely yours,
Department of the Employee Representative
Council of ScnioPharm
© 2020 Global ScnioPharm
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Aline Amorim

Dalia Nour
Dalia Nour  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 19:28
Member (2018)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Thanks for sharing Mr. Robert! May 8, 2020

I'm not experienced in such kind of messages that's why I'm wondering how did you found out that this message is a scam?

Is that because they asked your identification number and your swift code directly?

I know that scammers ask about all the personal data and information related to our bank accounts in the first step before even discussing anything else, am I right?

Robert Forstag
Morano El-Kholy

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Dalia May 8, 2020

Dalia Nour wrote:

I'm not experienced in such kind of messages that's why I'm wondering how did you found out that this message is a scam?

Is that because they asked your identification number and your swift code directly?

I know that scammers ask about all the personal data and information related to our bank accounts in the first step before even discussing anything else, am I right?

Hi Dalia,

This same set-up (offer of a job with an attractive wage and conditions, interview via Google hangout) has been included in mails to thousands of translators over the past a few years. Only the name of the company varies. (A couple of years ago, Zeiss - a German optical company- was the supposed interested party.)

On the face of it, the offer is suspicious: Scheduling an interview at a set time for a professional job on the basis of obtaining the interviewee's name from ATA, proz.com, or some other translation website). So I did not bite even the first time I received such a message. But the confirmation that a scam was being perpetrated came from an exchange on the forums here. Someone indicated that they contacted someone at Zeiss, and that person said the company had nothing to do with the interviews scheduled and the offers made. If I remember correctly, someone else who actually went through with the Google Hangout interview said that a fee was solicited in order to confirm the candidacy of the interviewee. So payment of this fee is, in the end, the point of this scam. At that point, the scammer disappears from the scene.

This is one of the scams that actually looks like it could be legitimate to someone not exposed to it before. That is why I thought it important to share.

Morano El-Kholy
Liviu-Lee Roth
Dalia Nour

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Another phony “full-time/part-time job” offer making the rounds.

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »