Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:59
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Oct 7, 2015

Hello everyone

I have two SDLXLIFF files, one marked "in translation" at 92%, and one marked "in review" at 91%. I have reviewed both files and they are fine, and now I want to generate the target files.

1. How can I turn an xx% in-translation/in-review file into a 100% file?

2. If the file is not set as 100% "in-translated", and I generate the target files, will some of the segments in the target file be left in the source text? In my case, all segments
... See more
Hello everyone

I have two SDLXLIFF files, one marked "in translation" at 92%, and one marked "in review" at 91%. I have reviewed both files and they are fine, and now I want to generate the target files.

1. How can I turn an xx% in-translation/in-review file into a 100% file?

2. If the file is not set as 100% "in-translated", and I generate the target files, will some of the segments in the target file be left in the source text? In my case, all segments are marked as something other than nothing, "draft" or "rejected".

In fact, I don't understand these states at all, or how a file becomes "in-review". Where can I find an explanation of that?

Samuel
Collapse

Santiago Gaston Garay
Santiago Gaston Garay  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try batch task > Translation count Oct 7, 2015

Hello, Samuel.

Whenever I have one of these files with wrong percentages, what usually does the trick is to run a batch task to count words or analyze the file again.

As for the "in-review status", I never understood that either. Sometimes it stays as "translated" and sometimes it seems to randomly change to "in-review".... See more
Hello, Samuel.

Whenever I have one of these files with wrong percentages, what usually does the trick is to run a batch task to count words or analyze the file again.

As for the "in-review status", I never understood that either. Sometimes it stays as "translated" and sometimes it seems to randomly change to "in-review".

You can also check this thread: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/234194-cannot_exit_review_mode_in_studio_2011.html . Apparently there isn't a clear explanation for that issue.

I hope it helps.

Santiago
Collapse

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:59
English to Spanish
... Oct 7, 2015

Generating target file in Trados Studio

At any stage during translation, if you want to check how the target file would look so far, just generate the target file and see with your own eyes what happens.

You can generate the target file as many times as you want.

For instance, if you find something wrong in the target file (a typo, mispelling, mistranslation, etc.) you can erase said target file, correct the problem in the XLIFF file and generate th
... See more
Generating target file in Trados Studio

At any stage during translation, if you want to check how the target file would look so far, just generate the target file and see with your own eyes what happens.

You can generate the target file as many times as you want.

For instance, if you find something wrong in the target file (a typo, mispelling, mistranslation, etc.) you can erase said target file, correct the problem in the XLIFF file and generate the target file again.

As to your question regarding the "in-review" file, would it help if you close it and open it for translation?

I apologize if you already knew this, or this is of no help to you!
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Miguel Oct 7, 2015

Miguel Carmona wrote:

That only helps if the source file is in a format that you can read on your own computer.
:-|

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:59
English to Spanish
... Oct 7, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:

Miguel Carmona wrote:

That only helps if the source file is in a format that you can read on your own computer.
:-|

Samuel,

Ah, now I understand your situation. I completely misread your original post, and my suggestions were way off the mark.

Unfortunately I do not have an answer.

[Edited at 2015-10-07 21:35 GMT]

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:59
Japanese to English
+ ...
Unfortunately... Dec 15, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:

In fact, I don't understand these states at all, or how a file becomes "in-review".

Trados itself doesn't either, and hasn't since at least as far back as 2011 (I never used anything prior to that so not sure if it ever worked).

I am looking at a project in Studio 2015 right now that contains 5 fully translated files. The first 4 have a status of Translated and are at 100%, while the last has a status of In Review and is showing only 14% complete. Interestingly, the first four were created from .doc files but the source for the fifth was a .docx file. Could be a coincidence I guess.

This happens to me quite often in this program, so I started ignoring the progress bars in File view (more difficult to do in 2015 due to the color coding, depending on your level of OCD) since they didn't prevent me from saving the target files, as far as I can recall. At any rate, I think this is one of those cases where the program is trying to do so many things and offer so many features all piled on top of each other that it fails at something so basic as displaying the correct progress.

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
I have noticed the same Dec 16, 2015

Orrin Cummins wrote:
I am looking at a project in Studio 2015 right now that contains 5 fully translated files. The first 4 have a status of Translated and are at 100%, while the last has a status of In Review and is showing only 14% complete. Interestingly, the first four were created from .doc files but the source for the fifth was a .docx file. Could be a coincidence I guess.

I don't think it has anything to do with the file format (I may be wrong there, of course), but my impression is that at times when a document is 100% translated, somehow Studio changes the status to In review without me changing it actively. I don't really know why, and the first time I noticed it, I was really concerned, since I thought it indicated that only a small part of the document was translated, when I knew that I have translated all.

I hope SDL will be able to fix this behaviour.

Roy

Poul Moller
Poul Moller  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
THANKS, Santiago Garay. This problem has irritated me for year. It helped! Mar 21, 2016

Santiago Garay wrote:

Hello, Samuel.

As for the "in-review status", I never understood that either. Sometimes it stays as "translated" and sometimes it seems to randomly change to "in-review".

You can also check this thread: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/234194-cannot_exit_review_mode_in_studio_2011.html . Apparently there isn't a clear explanation for that issue.

I hope it helps.

Santiago

Anita Luna Banchero
Anita Luna Banchero  Identity Verified
Italy
Japanese to Italian
+ ...
Another working batch task... Sep 10, 2016

...seems to be "translation count". I tried the others suggested and it didn't work, after running this last one the file magically became 100% translated.
Maybe it can be an helpful information.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Weird... but it works Nov 20, 2016

Santiago Garay wrote:

Try batch task > Translation count

Anita Luna Banchero wrote:

Another working batch task...
...seems to be "translation count".

That did the trick. I had a 100% translated file that showed as 99.5%, with -0.03% not translated and 0.30 something% edited... Analyze didn't work.

You'd think such an expensive "professional" tool with so many years of development shouldn't be affected by so many issues (based on personal experience and on the number of threads that continuously appear in this section). Bah...

Catherine Hess

Paul Carmichael
Paul Carmichael  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
Transation count did the trick Oct 21, 2017

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Santiago Garay wrote:

Try batch task > Translation count

Anita Luna Banchero wrote:

Another working batch task...
...seems to be "translation count".

That did the trick. I had a 100% translated file that showed as 99.5%, with -0.03% not translated and 0.30 something% edited... Analyze didn't work.

You'd think such an expensive "professional" tool with so many years of development shouldn't be affected by so many issues (based on personal experience and on the number of threads that continuously appear in this section). Bah...

I've been translating a doc for 2 days and the percentage was stuck at 22.7. After the batch task it now shows 71. A bit better.

Brendan McNally

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2015: files not 100% translated or reviewed

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »