Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:25
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
I check polls but... Oct 26, 2016

writeaway wrote:

Have a look at the daily "poll". There are a number of regulars who are there 365 days a year. No matter how innocuous the poll "question", they manage to find a way to brag about their achievements/earnings/workload and to market their services.

Do not share your opinion, I hardly see selfpromotion there, unless the question of the poll implies it.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Hard to believe outsourcers use the forums to find vendors Oct 26, 2016

Angie Garbarino wrote:

I hardly see selfpromotion there, unless the question of the poll implies it.

I agree, there's a fair amount of willy-waving, but it's hard to see this as self-promotion, it's more a case of character defects, at least in my case!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I agree Oct 26, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:
I'm beginning to see a number of threads across various subject areas that simply give a link to something the poster has written. ... When I get a notification about a new thread, I expect to find a discussion on the subject, not a link to the poster's own material and nothing else.

Would it be better to restrict such threads to a new "Self-promotion" forum rather than having them spread across Business Issues, Translation Theory and Practice, Money Matters, etc?

Yes, I think there is room for such a forum. However, it is likely that you would still receive notifications about them, because they will likely only be moved to that forum after a few readers realise that the thread was posted in the wrong forum.

I would suggest renaming "Translation news" to "Translation news and links", and then use that forum as the forum where posts that consist mainly of just a link to an outside site be moved to.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:25
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Let's cut to the chase Oct 26, 2016

I am the greatest translator in the world.

[Edited at 2016-10-26 10:31 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
And that... Oct 26, 2016

Tom in London wrote:
I am the greatest translator in the world.

And that is precisely why this proposed forum should not be called "self-promotion" but "links", because its purpose is to allow translators to post links, and not to promote themselves.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:25
Member (2004)
English to Italian
yes... Oct 27, 2016

so all this self-promoting spam ends up in one single place...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do we need a self-promotion forum?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »