Thread poster: Reed James
Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 15:53
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Sep 29, 2017

For those of you who use Babylon translation software, you already know that the application has both a dictionary tab and a translation tab. The dictionary function is good, but does not cover all fields of knowledge in depth.

In the past, when translating pharmaceutical and medical documents, it didn't even occur to me to resort to Babylon, because I knew beforehand that it will come up short. As machine translators go, it doesn't always occur to me to use them because overall, th
... See more
For those of you who use Babylon translation software, you already know that the application has both a dictionary tab and a translation tab. The dictionary function is good, but does not cover all fields of knowledge in depth.

In the past, when translating pharmaceutical and medical documents, it didn't even occur to me to resort to Babylon, because I knew beforehand that it will come up short. As machine translators go, it doesn't always occur to me to use them because overall, they mean having to edit and/or delete the ridiculous garbage they come up with. Then, I had one of those moments where I fed the translator functionality of Babylon with a few pharmaceutical terms. Bingo! Right on the money. You can also try this with Google Translate, but since I use the regular dictionaries, currency, etc. converters built into the application, I like to stay in the same spot.

Anyway, I'm just sharing this with you for your convenience and more expeditious searching and researching.
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 19:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
Horses for courses Sep 30, 2017

Yes, MT seems to be quite good with things that are set in stone, like chemical names and fixed terminologies or formulas. However, you still need to check the details because they are not 100% perfect, as I recently found when having to translate pages and pages of chemical formulae.

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 15:53
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
True Sep 30, 2017

neilmac wrote:

Yes, MT seems to be quite good with things that are set in stone, like chemical names and fixed terminologies or formulas. However, you still need to check the details because they are not 100% perfect, as I recently found when having to translate pages and pages of chemical formulae.

Neil:

Well, I guess that's true of any source like bilingual dictionaries. What resources do you use to check against MT?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What I learned about Babylon

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »