Which term base is Studio adding terms to?
Thread poster: Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 02:28
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Apr 14, 2018

Dear All,

When setting up a project in Studio Freelance Plus, one can choose which translation memories are updated and which are only used for concordance purposes—and this is only logical.

However, when it comes to the addition of new terms to termbases, things get sketchy. You can change the order of termbases attached to the project, but which of them will actually receive the new terms?

terms

There are no boxes to tick, so is only the first one in the list going to be updated? What if I want two of five termbases to be updated with the new terms?

Best regards,
PTs

[Edited at 2018-04-14 08:24 GMT]

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:28
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Terms are added to the first TB in the list only Apr 14, 2018

Terms are always added to the first termbase in the list exclusively. AFAIK, there is no way to add a term to more than one termbase at once.

Paul Malone

Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
. Apr 14, 2018

Thank you for your input, Erik!

I can actually think of a workaround: add an empty project-specific termbase as the default one (at the top of the list) and then, after the project is completed, export the terms from this new termbase and import them to all the termbases you need those terms in.

However, why should things be so difficult and conterproductive, when a simple tick box next to each termbase's name in the list could do the job?

Best regards,
... See more
Thank you for your input, Erik!

I can actually think of a workaround: add an empty project-specific termbase as the default one (at the top of the list) and then, after the project is completed, export the terms from this new termbase and import them to all the termbases you need those terms in.

However, why should things be so difficult and conterproductive, when a simple tick box next to each termbase's name in the list could do the job?

Best regards,
Pavel Tsvetkov
Collapse

Matthew Butt

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Why so complicated Apr 14, 2018

Pavel Tsvetkov wrote:

Why, that's because it's SDL, after all! 😖

I'd already be happy if Studio were actually able to reliably recognise terms I've entered into a termbase, but there you go...

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Absolutely right Apr 15, 2018

Hi Pavel,

You're absolutely right. This is one of the most ridiculous things in Studio. In Wordfast Classic WF asked me which termbases I want to add a term to. Meanwhile, in Studio you're limited to only the default one. There are a number of such "features" that should have been done away with a long time ago.

And this is, in my opinion, one of the biggest downsides of Studio. In many aspects it's completely user-unfriendly. To make it more or less useful you need to
... See more
Hi Pavel,

You're absolutely right. This is one of the most ridiculous things in Studio. In Wordfast Classic WF asked me which termbases I want to add a term to. Meanwhile, in Studio you're limited to only the default one. There are a number of such "features" that should have been done away with a long time ago.

And this is, in my opinion, one of the biggest downsides of Studio. In many aspects it's completely user-unfriendly. To make it more or less useful you need to install a ton of plugins, but the problem is that the plugins, by their nature, can't be fully integrated within the software, so you need to set them up each separately. Don't have the "one TM for both language directions" feature? You can always install a prosthesis i.e. AnyTM, which actually is just a plugin that creates ANOTHER TM. Pro-sthe-sis that's what it is.
Your TM doesn't record document info? Install Record SourceTU plugin, which you must then select as yet ANOTHER translation provider, of course if you don't forget to do it, because then... well... it's too late.
Do you want to review your 50,000 big mama TM to review the latest added TUs? No problem, but prepare to click yourself to death, because Trados only shows 200 TUs at a time, always starting from the oldest ones. So, approximately 250 clicks and you're home.
My rant could go on and on, but I'd rather go and take some fresh air

[Edited at 2018-04-15 11:09 GMT]
Collapse

Matthew Butt

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Filter Apr 16, 2018

Wojciech_ wrote:

Do you want to review your 50,000 big mama TM to review the latest added TUs? No problem, but prepare to click yourself to death, because Trados only shows 200 TUs at a time, always starting from the oldest ones. So, approximately 250 clicks and you're home.

I agree it is irritating not to be able to scroll efficiently in the TM-view, but practically it is hardly needed. When I look at my Wordfast TM (at least 400 000) entries, I use Notepad++ and the Find-function to look at certain entries. The same is possible in Studio using a filter.

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
My point exactly Apr 16, 2018

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Wojciech_ wrote:

I agree it is irritating not to be able to scroll efficiently in the TM-view, but practically it is hardly needed. When I look at my Wordfast TM (at least 400 000) entries, I use Notepad++ and the Find-function to look at certain entries. The same is possible in Studio using a filter.

Which only proves that Studio is counter-intuitive, because instead of typical scrolling to the end of the TM you must click your way through to determine which TUs you want to see. The same goes for deleting TUs. First you need to "mark them for deletion" and then perform the process. Not to mention that until recently you couldn't scroll through your terms in Multiterm with a slider and even now the solution is somewhat peculiar...

[Edited at 2018-04-16 19:31 GMT]

Matthew Butt
Matthew Butt
Local time: 00:28
French to English
+ ...
I'm glad I found this thread Apr 1, 2021

I'm currently trying out Studio because of some recent problems working with a Trados generated file in Wordfast.

Of course, to make it do everything I expect as standard in Wordfast, I had to pay for the software, as you can't install plugins into the trial version. (Grrrr!)

Then I suddenly realised I didn't know which termbase was receiving my new terms. (I need two, as there's a mixture of business-specific and IT-specific terminology in my document, and I don't want
... See more
I'm currently trying out Studio because of some recent problems working with a Trados generated file in Wordfast.

Of course, to make it do everything I expect as standard in Wordfast, I had to pay for the software, as you can't install plugins into the trial version. (Grrrr!)

Then I suddenly realised I didn't know which termbase was receiving my new terms. (I need two, as there's a mixture of business-specific and IT-specific terminology in my document, and I don't want them all getting mixed up.) Little did I realise that every time I want to add a term I'll need to go into Project Settings and swap the order of the Termbases so that the one I want to update is at the top. And when I click on Project Settings, does it go to the Termbases page where I was last time? Of course not. That would help productivity too much!

I cannot believe how unnecessarily complicated they've made this software. Perhaps it's been designed for Project Managers, whereas Wordfast seems to have been designed for translators...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which term base is Studio adding terms to?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »