Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10]
NEVER ask the client
Thread poster: Daniel Frisano
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Marina Taffetani
Marina Taffetani  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:19
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
Stop bothering *your* clients? Apr 13, 2021

Daniel, I'm not bothering *your* clients. I'm bothering *my* clients. I have no intention of stealing your clients. No need to worry about that. And after all, they wouldn't want me, would they? So where does your bitterness come from?

Oh, I thought Chris was joking about the 90-page CV. He's not. I guess plenty of clients will read through the 90 pages. Good for you. And you translate between, like, 15 language pairs? Again, good for you.

Baran Keki
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Italian correction Apr 13, 2021

I'm dreadfully sorry about this, Portia, but I simply must point out that the expression "Shaddap you face" lacks a rhythmic syllable after the P for the sake of aphony. As anyone who has ever visited a trattoria outside the Old Country will know, "Shaddap-a you face" is the proper expression in Italish. Please remember thees for-a the future.

[Edited at 2021-04-13 10:41 GMT]

Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis
Baran Keki
Michael Wetzel
Matthias Brombach
Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD
Tom in London

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Baran was right all along ... Apr 13, 2021

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

I'm dreadfully sorry about this, Portia, but I simply must point out that the expression "Shaddap you face" lacks a rhythmic syllable after the P for the sake of aphony. As anyone who has ever visited a trattoria outside the Old Country will know, "Shaddap-a you face" is the proper expression in Italish. Please remember thees for-a the future.

[Edited at 2021-04-13 10:41 GMT]

Wodda shame-a Although a born and bred Italian would say Che figura di m****!

Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Baran Keki

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
Linguistic News and Notes Apr 13, 2021

In English, "advice" is an uncountable noun.

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:19
Member (2004)
English to Italian
THAT is how a professional operates... Apr 13, 2021

Daniel Frisano wrote:

If the situation allows, visit 2 or 3 of your best clients. Take them out to lunch. Make sure there is wine going around.

Bring up this topic and other topics of your choice. Make a point of registering in your head every single word everyone says. What you will learn is invaluable.

THAT is how a professional operates.

You can thank me later.

getting your clients drunk to extract information from them? I thought you had a point, but I just don't get this... is this a professional behaviour?

P.L.F. Persio
Thomas T. Frost
Matthias Brombach
Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau
Marina Taffetani

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
'In vino veritas' Apr 13, 2021

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

getting your clients drunk to extract information from them? I thought you had a point, but I just don't get this... is this a professional behaviour?

'In wine, there is truth' which means a person under the influence of alcohol is more likely to speak... and yet, he NEVER asks questions to his clients?

This person has been insulting translators, clients, offending us as professionals, and making fun of all of us.

[Edited at 2021-04-13 12:27 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Thomas T. Frost
Zibow Retailleau
P.L.F. Persio
Baran Keki
Christopher Schröder

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Wining Apr 13, 2021

Daniel Frisano wrote:

If the situation allows, visit 2 or 3 of your best clients. Take them out to lunch. Make sure there is wine going around.

Thankfully, I don't need to bribe my clients with alcohol or make them drunk to make them choose me, but I’m full of compassion for those whose service quality makes it tempting to use alcohol as a unique selling point.

expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
A variant strategy Apr 13, 2021

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Daniel Frisano wrote:

Thankfully, I don't need to bribe my clients with alcohol or make them drunk to make them choose me, but I’m full of compassion for those whose service quality makes it tempting to use alcohol as a unique selling point.

Along these lines, some translators might prefer plying their clients with hard liquor while the latter are reviewing their translations....

Christopher Schröder
Thomas T. Frost
P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Andrea Capuselli
Andrea Capuselli
Local time: 14:19
SITE STAFF
SITE LOCALIZER
This thread will be locked. Apr 13, 2021

Dear all,

As the subject of discussion has diverged from its original point and to prevent the violation of forum rules, this thread will be locked. Please keep in mind that site users are expected to treat each other with courtesy, and are advised to act under the assumption of good faith. Harassment of, or attacks or ad hominem statements on, individuals or groups, of any form, as well as discouragement of another's use of the site, will not be tolerated.

Please remem
... See more
Dear all,

As the subject of discussion has diverged from its original point and to prevent the violation of forum rules, this thread will be locked. Please keep in mind that site users are expected to treat each other with courtesy, and are advised to act under the assumption of good faith. Harassment of, or attacks or ad hominem statements on, individuals or groups, of any form, as well as discouragement of another's use of the site, will not be tolerated.

Please remember that Forum rule 6 states: https://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/6#6

When a topic has been locked, discussion may not be resumed. Discussions contained in threads locked or hidden by ProZ.com staff members or moderators should not be resumed. Posts made within such threads may not be edited once a topic has been locked.

Thank you for your participation in the forums, and for using the site.
Collapse

Gerard Barry
Tom in London

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

NEVER ask the client

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »