Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Discussion: What are your process for working with own termbases?
Thread poster: Philip Sundt
Philip Sundt
Philip Sundt  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 16:05
English to Swedish
+ ...
Mar 16, 2021

Hello,

I have now worked as a translator for almost a year. Naturally, it takes time to develop a good workflow, to understand how to structure ones resources and so on.

I feel that I generally have a good workflow with most elements of the translation process. However, I have still not found a good way to implement the use of termbases/glossaries into my work.

As I realize they are a valuable resource, I have not managed to develop a good process for usin
... See more
Hello,

I have now worked as a translator for almost a year. Naturally, it takes time to develop a good workflow, to understand how to structure ones resources and so on.

I feel that I generally have a good workflow with most elements of the translation process. However, I have still not found a good way to implement the use of termbases/glossaries into my work.

As I realize they are a valuable resource, I have not managed to develop a good process for using them.

I would like to ask you, fellow translators, what are your process for working with glossaries?

Do you make client-specific glossaries? subject-specific?

Do you add terms to the termbase during the translation process, or do you go through the project again when it's finished to add important terms?

Any other details that might help me?

On a side note: I use SDL Trados 2021. If anybody who uses Trados has the will to discuss their way to add terms to their glossaries, that would be much appreciated. I have a plugin for extracting project terms (I think it's called project term extract), but I find myself not using it at all.

I would very much appreciate your thoughts and comments on this.

Thank you kindly!
Collapse

Esney Garcia Caso

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:05
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I avoid them Mar 16, 2021

I avoid them, because it takes time to create them.

I have a habit of just scribbling down recurring terms on post-it notes and spreading them on my desk. But mainly I try to just remember them, mentally.

At the end of the job, the correct terms are saved in the TM for that project so with any luck, they will come up automatically the next time I do a similar job using the same TM.

Baran Keki

Philip Sundt
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I agree Mar 16, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

This is probably the reason I haven't really found the use for them either.

Working with translation memories is a very simple process. They kind of create themselves, whereas glossaries need a lot of time and dedication.

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
Client and/or project specific Mar 16, 2021

I am working with huge game projects very often and TBs are very useful there (terminology consistency is very important since the wizard needs to know what spell kills which dragon etc.), but this is mostly game specific. I also use an overall game TB (the "big bucket" where everything goes in) but this can only be used for reminders or ideas, not for actually terminology.

In tech translations, terminology is also key but in these cases, the TBs are mostly maintained by the agencie
... See more
I am working with huge game projects very often and TBs are very useful there (terminology consistency is very important since the wizard needs to know what spell kills which dragon etc.), but this is mostly game specific. I also use an overall game TB (the "big bucket" where everything goes in) but this can only be used for reminders or ideas, not for actually terminology.

In tech translations, terminology is also key but in these cases, the TBs are mostly maintained by the agencies.
Collapse

Dan Lucas
yinnyann
Stepan Konev

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
+1 Mar 16, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

I have a habit of just scribbling down recurring terms on post-it notes and spreading them on my desk. But mainly I try to just remember them, mentally.

At the end of the job, the correct terms are saved in the TM for that project so with any luck, they will come up automatically the next time I do a similar job using the same TM.

Agree with Tom. Although I find it easier to remember terms physically rather than mentally by tattooing them on my butt.

Making glossaries was always what I got the trainees doing when there was nothing useful for them to do. Don’t tell them, but they went straight in the bin.

Emanuele Vacca

Philip Sundt
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, interesting Mar 16, 2021

Kay-Viktor Stegemann wrote:

In tech translations, terminology is also key but in these cases, the TBs are mostly maintained by the agencies.

Thank you for your reply.
May I ask how you go about adding terms to the "big bucket"? Would you add a new term as soon as you encounter it while in the translation process, or do you go through all the segments again after the translation is finished, adding the terms you think you might need in the future?

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:05
English to French
+ ...
During Mar 16, 2021

Philip:

When a job is over, it is over. Why go back? Plus, the chances of forgetting which terms one wanted to add while translating was in progress are too big. Noting them on little pieces of paper while translating requires as much work and time as doing it "on the fly."

I add terms on the fly. The only (rare) exception is when I decide to change a term after editing and clean-up. In such cases, I feel obligated to go back to the terminology database and the TM to up
... See more
Philip:

When a job is over, it is over. Why go back? Plus, the chances of forgetting which terms one wanted to add while translating was in progress are too big. Noting them on little pieces of paper while translating requires as much work and time as doing it "on the fly."

I add terms on the fly. The only (rare) exception is when I decide to change a term after editing and clean-up. In such cases, I feel obligated to go back to the terminology database and the TM to update them with the new terms. I say "feel obligated" because I very rarely use the TM for what it is intended, i.e. new versions of old texts and the like. My TM is mostly used as a concordance source, in actual day-to-day.

JL

Philip Sundt wrote:

May I ask how you go about adding terms to the "big bucket"? Would you add a new term as soon as you encounter it while in the translation process, or do you go through all the segments again after the translation is finished, adding the terms you think you might need in the future?
Collapse

MollyRose
Sara Massons
Stepan Konev
bris97

Sebastian Witte
Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
RAT Mar 16, 2021

https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/w/customer-experience/5195/rapid-add-term

Recep Kurt

Multiverse Solutions s.r.o. (X)
Multiverse Solutions s.r.o. (X)
Polish to English
+ ...
Glossaries are the basis of high-performance translation Mar 16, 2021

As you can see from replies: 'avoid them'.
The question is - why?
Simple answer is obvious: expenditure of time that does not 'translate' to profit.

In short-time perspective, this is clearly true. By short-time, I mean a glossary file of limited use, like for one/a few files or an exotic one that you will probably never need again.

There are three instances where NOT having and not using proper glossaries means sheer loss of time (and money). These are:
... See more
The question is - why?
Simple answer is obvious: expenditure of time that does not 'translate' to profit.

In short-time perspective, this is clearly true. By short-time, I mean a glossary file of limited use, like for one/a few files or an exotic one that you will probably never need again.

There are three instances where NOT having and not using proper glossaries means sheer loss of time (and money). These are:

1. Standard phrases that come up repeatedly in all your translations. Sort of building blocks, like "of course", "in favour of", "for example", "more and more often", and so on. These phrases will almost always appear identical, no matter what the context is. For this reason, recreating them time and again is just a waste of your time.

2. Field-specific terminology that must be consistent and/or should follow specific industry standards. Typical areas with a lot of such phrases are accounting, oil and gas, automotive industry, or medicine. This applies also to international standards, patents, technical specifications, or supranational procedures (eg approvals). Basically, these terms will appear in one and only one form in any context.

3. Universal phrases that will always appear in the same form across all areas of translation. This includes the names of months, days of week, numbers (in various grammatical forms), and any other 100% generic names.

Once you have them properly created and set up, the speed of your translation will amaze you. Provided that... your glossaries are true high-quality products. From my own practice, I can say that (for a variety of reasons) no automatic process is available to create such glossaries instantly.

So, why do you need to create glossaries yourself? Accuracy (actual correspondence between the terms) and precision (specificity that precludes false entries in any context) require mind-work. You are 'seeing' the glossary entry in various contexts. Then, you customise it as much as possible so that you will not need to adjust it again when your CAT system inserts that particular phrase.

So much for the theory. In real life... I have been using CATs since 2000 and I have been creating glossaries alongside almost all my translations ever since. As I work mostly for agencies, most of the translation is shorter than, say, 5 pages. And source files come from all walks of life. So my glossaries are far from customer- or subject-specific.

Under these constraints, I have managed to produce, eg, a) an international service contract of +22,000 words within 6 hours, guaranteeing compliance of terminology with EU standards. Without a 'perfect' glossary it would be hard to imagine. b) Record speed of translation: ca. 2,000 words per hour in the case of highly standardised accounting documents. Again, without fine-tuning glossaries, no way.

Not using glossaries is a huge mistake. I would go to extremes and say that TMs are almost useless when you have no quality termbases.

There are various ways to create good glossaries. You may do it yourself ('free', apart from time lost) or outsource the process and pay. In long term, even costly, expensive glossaries will generate you nice profits from saved effort or time. But your real advantage will be: you will be able to handle demanding projects (short time limit, quality terminology, aligning translation with customer's calendar, etc) that nobody else would even think of.

As a small incentive, here is my today's translation (SV is an MT unit).

The question is - why?

1. Standard phrases that come up repeatedly in all your translations. Sort of building blocks, like "of course", "in favour of", "for example", "more and more often", and so on. These phrases will almost always appear identical, no matter what the context is. For this reason, recreating them time and again is just a waste of your time.

2. Field-specific terminology that must be consistent and/or should follow specific industry standards. Typical areas with a lot of such phrases are accounting, oil and gas, automotive industry, or medicine. This applies also to international standards, patents, technical specifications, or supranational procedures (eg approvals). Basically, these terms will appear in one and only one form in any context.

3. Universal phrases that will always appear in the same form across all areas of translation. This includes the names of months, days of week, numbers (in various grammatical forms), and any other 100% generic names.

Once you have them properly created and set up, the speed of your translation will amaze you. Provided that... your glossaries are true high-quality products. From my own practice, I can say that (for a variety of reasons) no automatic process is available to create such glossaries instantly.

So, why do you need to create glossaries yourself? Accuracy (actual correspondence between the terms) and precision (specificity that precludes false entries in any context) require mind-work. You are 'seeing' the glossary entry in various contexts. Then, you customise it as much as possible so that you will not need to adjust it again when your CAT system inserts that particular phrase.

So much for the theory. In real life... I have been using CATs since 2000 and I have been creating glossaries alongside almost all my translations ever since. As I work mostly for agencies, most of the translation is shorter than, say, 5 pages. And source files come from all walks of life. So my glossaries are far from customer- or subject-specific.

Under these constraints, I have managed to produce, eg, an international service contract of +22,000 words within 6 hours, guaranteeing compliance of terminology with EU standards. Without a 'perfect' glossary it would be hard to imagine. Record speed of translation: ca. 2,000 words per hour in the case of highly standardised accounting documents. Again, without fine-tuning glossaries, no way.

Not using glossaries is a huge mistake. I would go to extremes and say that TMs are almost useless when you have no quality termbases.

There are various ways to create good glossaries. You may do it yourself ('free', apart from time lost) or outsource the process and pay. In long term, even costly, expensive glossaries will generate you nice profits from saved effort or time. But your real advantage will be: you will be able to handle demanding projects (short time limit, quality terminology, aligning translation with customer's calendar, etc) that nobody else would even think of.

As a small incentive, here is my today's translation (SV is an MT unit).

perfect-GLOs
Collapse

MollyRose
Sara Massons
Mario Marcolin
Wolfgang Schoene
Georgi Kovachev
Stepan Konev
Christine Andersen

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:05
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
My clients have opinions Mar 16, 2021

Philip Sundt wrote:
Do you make client-specific glossaries?

Nearly all my (end) clients have views on the vocabulary that they want used for their documents, and this preference is heavily influenced influenced by precedent and consistency. If the company used "FY2020" rather than "fiscal 2020" in a previous filing, they want "FY2020" used this time too. In the same way, if one of an end client's divisions is called "Chemicals & Additives" they don't want it translated as "Chemical Products and Additive Agents" next time. Simple enough, but the process of checking this is time-consuming. For this reason I have termbases for most of the end clients.

Dan

Sara Massons
Mario Marcolin
Philip Sundt
Wolfgang Schoene
Stepan Konev
Christine Andersen

Mario Marcolin
Mario Marcolin  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2003)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Term bases - two advantages and a caveat Mar 16, 2021

Yes, creating TB:s takes time but if you use the right critera you also save quite an amount of time at a later stage

I regularly use termbases and more than often multiple termbases at once: in an engineering translation you might e.g. want to use a company specific TB as well as an industry TB and a more general language pair TB. .

There are two major reasons why I do this
1) using termbases (at least in SDL) speeds up writing in particular if the test has fixe
... See more
Yes, creating TB:s takes time but if you use the right critera you also save quite an amount of time at a later stage

I regularly use termbases and more than often multiple termbases at once: in an engineering translation you might e.g. want to use a company specific TB as well as an industry TB and a more general language pair TB. .

There are two major reasons why I do this
1) using termbases (at least in SDL) speeds up writing in particular if the test has fixed phrases of several word that appear often, e.g. parameter names
2) you gain consistency in terminology;
even if my original term translation is not optimal any change is easy to implement just by editing the tb and parsing the text

Caveat: you need to be careful when matching terms and always take into account the difference in word formation in your source and target language, otherwise you might get loads of (unnessary error messages when veryfying the terminology in your target text.

/MM
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Philip Sundt

Sara Massons
Sara Massons  Identity Verified
France
Member (2016)
English to French
+ ...
One per client, from the very beginning Mar 16, 2021

For me, as it has already been said, they are real useful tools to save time and ensure consistency, in particular for specific terminology, most of my direct clients value this as part of the quality process. Some agencies also provide already set term bases which is really useful to comply with the end client's requirements and short deadlines. I used to do this with spreadsheets when I was a student and before I purchased a Trados licence, then it was very time costly but still useful for con... See more
For me, as it has already been said, they are real useful tools to save time and ensure consistency, in particular for specific terminology, most of my direct clients value this as part of the quality process. Some agencies also provide already set term bases which is really useful to comply with the end client's requirements and short deadlines. I used to do this with spreadsheets when I was a student and before I purchased a Trados licence, then it was very time costly but still useful for consistency and compliance with client's terminology.

I create one for each end client so basically, when I first work for a new client, I start a term base if the project exceeds a few hundred words. I add every single specific term I encounter, even if it is a very generic one, and a couple of less specific phrases or expressions that are recurrent throughout the project or between projects. When I'm faced with a very specific term or expression that costs me time to translate, TB can be very useful on the long run: even if I don't encounter this term or phrase again for months (so it will probably slip off my mind as this is how human memory works, unlike machines), I will not have to do all the research again. TM in this case are often useless as they only recover full segments and can even sometimes be confusing when you have to switch parts of the text for style reasons.
TB also save me the pain of retyping long phrases that are always translated the same (e.g. "registered letter with acknowledgement of receipt" which is even longer in French : "courrier en recommandé avec accusé de réception"), I only have to type the first letter and Trados displays the translation, I do a second hit on "enter" and that's 45 hits saved, just imagine what it does on a contract with it repeated dozens of times... Here again, TM are useless as they will only help in the case of a full segment.

I create the term base on the fly while doing my first translation in Trados, I just select the term and its translation and use Ctrl + Shift + F2 to add the term automatically to the TB. I think you can find free training videos on SDL website to improve the process. I go back to it only if needed when I have other projects for the same client or to "clean" it a little bit. I find this much faster than post-its notes (although I also scribble down things on used envelopes while translating, but this is another part of the process).

I hope this helps
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Recep Kurt
Philip Sundt

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
Most of it happens on the fly and is immediately useful Mar 16, 2021

Philip Sundt wrote:
Thank you for your reply.

The "big bucket" is a secondary TB I add to my game projects. I fill it mostly by importing other TBs.

In my game translation process, I add most terms on the fly. It would be nearly impossible to create a complete glossary before starting the project due to the sheer number of items, spells, monsters, heroes, characters, currencies, effects, skills, places, maps, chapters, quests, events, rarities etc. in a typical game, and you can expect the game designers to invent the next batch of those tomorrow anyway. And a TB would not be of no use either when I only create it after doing the translation. So I add a term as soon as I see a new term in the source where I reasonably expect that it will be repeated in the future. This can be very useful immediately if you have a CAT that works really well:

Imagine you have a segment like "Sword of Muddlefuddle, rare, bronze" and you have the terms "sword, spear, rare, bronze, iron" in your TB. Now you translate this segment, confirm it and move on, and behold, one of the next segments says "Spear of Muddlefuddle, rare, iron". A good CAT (I'm using MemoQ but others might do this too) will assemble the translation automatically and replace the corresponding terms. This can be an enormous time saver. Of course this is a simplified example and in a sentence context you might need to fix the grammar a lot, but you get the idea. A well maintained TB is therefore very helpful in big projects like these, and well worth the small effort of some keyboard combos to quickly add new terms to it.

As it happens, in the tech domain there can be very similar effects, for example in part lists, catalogs, and the like. (Heck, even in fashion content it can work and ease some of the pain...)

TBs have one drawback, though. Agencies tend to use them for "terminology checks", using automated tools like XBench for checking if you used the terminology consistently. Unfortunately, these tools are useless, at least in my language pair, because the same term can have tons of different spellings due to German grammar and compounding. Sometimes you lose the time you saved with the TB again when you have to explain endless so-called "inconsistencies" to end clients or PMs.

Dan Lucas
Kevin Fulton
Recep Kurt
Sara Massons
yinnyann
Ingvild Karlsen

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 17:05
French to English
+ ...
TBs are critical Mar 17, 2021

Philip Sundt wrote:

I would like to ask you, fellow translators, what is your process for working with glossaries?

Do you make client-specific glossaries? subject-specific?

Do you add terms to the termbase during the translation process, or do you go through the project again when it's finished to add important terms?

Any other details that might help me?

Hi Philip,
In Trados, the process is as follows:
1. You create the TB in Multiterm by completing the TB creation process (this process is pretty awful and full of pitfalls, especially for beginners; better to use a ready-made, straightforward TB definition without fields, for a start) . Alternatively, you can convert an existing Excel or other glossary using the Glossary converter app, which should be the way to go, at least until you learn the ropes and figure out what fields you need and how to create them.
2. It's better to add terms "on the fly", as you do the research. I suggest setting up your own customized shortcut (Options - Keyboard Shortcuts) - make it an easy one - because you'll use it all the time.
3. I have one Big Mama TB per language pair - plus a myriad small glossaries converted to TBs for various subjects, which I attach as needed.
4. I also use the TB to insert automatically frequent phrases ("in accordance with, on the other hand, etc."), names of months, etc. for automatic insertion into the file (the Variable feature in Trados is pretty useless), etc. for faster input.
That's what I can think of.
For most projects, termbases are invaluable.
HTH,
Sandra

Philip Sundt
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to everybody for your replies! Most helpful! Mar 17, 2021

Sebastian, this is actually the plugin that I have, and (tried to) mention in the first post! However, I have not used it. I will surely look into it further with the new gained insights from this thread.

Dan Lucas wrote:

Philip Sundt wrote:
Do you make client-specific glossaries?

Nearly all my (end) clients have views on the vocabulary that they want used for their documents, and this preference is heavily influenced influenced by precedent and consistency. If the company used "FY2020" rather than "fiscal 2020" in a previous filing, they want "FY2020" used this time too. In the same way, if one of an end client's divisions is called "Chemicals & Additives" they don't want it translated as "Chemical Products and Additive Agents" next time. Simple enough, but the process of checking this is time-consuming. For this reason I have termbases for most of the end clients.

Dan

Dan, thank you. I realize that it is invaluable for end clients to have consistent terminology in their translated texts. For now, I have a lot of clients that only need one or two jobs done, and for this reason, I have only built long-lasting business relationships with a few end clients.

Sara Massons wrote:

For me, as it has already been said, they are real useful tools to save time and ensure consistency, in particular for specific terminology, most of my direct clients value this as part of the quality process. Some agencies also provide already set term bases which is really useful to comply with the end client's requirements and short deadlines. I used to do this with spreadsheets when I was a student and before I purchased a Trados licence, then it was very time costly but still useful for consistency and compliance with client's terminology.

I create one for each end client so basically, when I first work for a new client, I start a term base if the project exceeds a few hundred words. I add every single specific term I encounter, even if it is a very generic one, and a couple of less specific phrases or expressions that are recurrent throughout the project or between projects. When I'm faced with a very specific term or expression that costs me time to translate, TB can be very useful on the long run: even if I don't encounter this term or phrase again for months (so it will probably slip off my mind as this is how human memory works, unlike machines), I will not have to do all the research again. TM in this case are often useless as they only recover full segments and can even sometimes be confusing when you have to switch parts of the text for style reasons.
TB also save me the pain of retyping long phrases that are always translated the same (e.g. "registered letter with acknowledgement of receipt" which is even longer in French : "courrier en recommandé avec accusé de réception"), I only have to type the first letter and Trados displays the translation, I do a second hit on "enter" and that's 45 hits saved, just imagine what it does on a contract with it repeated dozens of times... Here again, TM are useless as they will only help in the case of a full segment.

I create the term base on the fly while doing my first translation in Trados, I just select the term and its translation and use Ctrl + Shift + F2 to add the term automatically to the TB. I think you can find free training videos on SDL website to improve the process. I go back to it only if needed when I have other projects for the same client or to "clean" it a little bit. I find this much faster than post-its notes (although I also scribble down things on used envelopes while translating, but this is another part of the process).

I hope this helps

Thanks a lot for your detailed answer. I will definitely try to incorporate this in my workflow.

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman wrote:

Hi Philip,
In Trados, the process is as follows:
1. You create the TB in Multiterm by completing the TB creation process (this process is pretty awful and full of pitfalls, especially for beginners; better to use a ready-made, straightforward TB definition without fields, for a start) . Alternatively, you can convert an existing Excel or other glossary using the Glossary converter app, which should be the way to go, at least until you learn the ropes and figure out what fields you need and how to create them.
2. It's better to add terms "on the fly", as you do the research. I suggest setting up your own customized shortcut (Options - Keyboard Shortcuts) - make it an easy one - because you'll use it all the time.
3. I have one Big Mama TB per language pair - plus a myriad small glossaries converted to TBs for various subjects, which I attach as needed.
4. I also use the TB to insert automatically frequent phrases ("in accordance with, on the other hand, etc."), names of months, etc. for automatic insertion into the file (the Variable feature in Trados is pretty useless), etc. for faster input.
That's what I can think of.
For most projects, termbases are invaluable.
HTH,
Sandra

Thank you for this detailed explanation, Sandra. I will definitely try to incorporate this. Until now, the few glossaries I have created and tried to use have been the standard ones without extra fields. Would you give examples of what these extra field could be useful for? Explanations of terms? Contexts? Something different?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Discussion: What are your process for working with own termbases?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »