CIOL membership - necessary for "certified translations" in the UK?
Thread poster: GP Translations
GP Translations
GP Translations  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 30, 2020

Hi,
These days, I am working as a part-time freelancer who receives work (mainly birth certificates, university transcripts, etc) on a very ad hoc basis. As such I am not earning very much at all from this work. I have the DipTrans from CIOL and I was wondering how essential it is to have a full membership to the CIOL to carry out these translations and for them to satisfy official institutions. Is self-certification enough or do institutions check credentials for example on Find-a-linguis
... See more
Hi,
These days, I am working as a part-time freelancer who receives work (mainly birth certificates, university transcripts, etc) on a very ad hoc basis. As such I am not earning very much at all from this work. I have the DipTrans from CIOL and I was wondering how essential it is to have a full membership to the CIOL to carry out these translations and for them to satisfy official institutions. Is self-certification enough or do institutions check credentials for example on Find-a-linguist?
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:57
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not necessary, as far as I know Apr 30, 2020

Please check:

https://www.ciol.org.uk/certified-translations

and

https://www.gov.uk/certifying-a-document

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CIOL membership - necessary for "certified translations" in the UK?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »