Disable automatic capitalization of glossary insertions?
Thread poster: alentrix
alentrix
alentrix  Identity Verified
German to English
Sep 22, 2017

I'm using Wordfast Classic 6.99. I have glossary entries that are recognized during a translation session. When I use Ctrl-Alt-Down to insert a capitalized German source noun, Wordfast inserts my English target noun or noun phrase with each target word capitalized. These target words should not be capitalized. Wordfast seems to have decided that capitalization from the source should be added to every target word, even though my target words in the glossary are not capitalized. I'm assuming that ... See more
I'm using Wordfast Classic 6.99. I have glossary entries that are recognized during a translation session. When I use Ctrl-Alt-Down to insert a capitalized German source noun, Wordfast inserts my English target noun or noun phrase with each target word capitalized. These target words should not be capitalized. Wordfast seems to have decided that capitalization from the source should be added to every target word, even though my target words in the glossary are not capitalized. I'm assuming that it's possible to disable this behavior, but I'm not having any luck finding anything in the manual or online. Can anyone provide some thoughts as to what to do?Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:40
English to French
+ ...
lock case Sep 22, 2017

Each glossary entry now offers the possibility to lock the source or / and the target case, which presumably would solve your problem. In addition, glossaries can be set to "Lock target case on entire glossary."

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:40
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Alentrix Sep 23, 2017

alentrix wrote:
I'm assuming that it's possible to disable this behavior, but I'm not having any luck finding anything in the manual or online. Can anyone provide some thoughts as to what to do?

WFC > Terminology > Glossary > "Lock target case on entire glossary".

AFAIK it's not possible to lock source case, so "Foo", "FOO" and "foo" in the source text will be treated by WFC as "foo" when doing matching. But if you lock target case, then glossary entries' target text case will be respected.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 01:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
Vice versa Sep 23, 2017

My issue is quite the opposite. I would like WordFast to maintain the punctuation and capitalisation of the source text, but I don't know how to do it. I'm going to have a look at the route suggested by Samuel to see if I can set it up...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Disable automatic capitalization of glossary insertions?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »