Thread poster: Mark van de Velde
Mark van de Velde
Mark van de Velde
Poland
Local time: 11:00
English to Dutch
Aug 15, 2018

Hi,

I'm relatively new to Wordfast Pro 5. Understanding the basics is not too hard, but I have a question about Translation Memories that are used in multiple projects.

As far as I understand TM's in WF 5 always live within a certain project. There are some existing TM's that I want to use for multiple projects, but it seems I need to import that TM for each and every project.

I saw that I can use TM's from other projects (via Add Project TMs), but that doe
... See more
Hi,

I'm relatively new to Wordfast Pro 5. Understanding the basics is not too hard, but I have a question about Translation Memories that are used in multiple projects.

As far as I understand TM's in WF 5 always live within a certain project. There are some existing TM's that I want to use for multiple projects, but it seems I need to import that TM for each and every project.

I saw that I can use TM's from other projects (via Add Project TMs), but that doesn't seem very logical to me. Do I really need to populate my 1st project with a lot of TMs and for every subsequent project choose from the TM's stored in that 1st project?

I would like to have to something like a Wordfast folder with a bunch of TMs and be able to choose for each new project which TMs from that folder I need this time. Any suggestions?

Speaking of TMs: is there a way to move the TM lookup window/pane. It nows takes a lot of scrolling when I want to see matches. It would be easier to consult the pane if it streched vertically on the right side of the screen instead of horizontally at the bottom of the screen.

Thanks for your help.
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:00
English to French
+ ...
TMs are independant Aug 15, 2018

TMs are stored in one or more folders (in my experience, it makes life easier to have all TMs residing in a single folder, but sometimes a specific TM needs to be kept in a different folder).

The term "project" in WfPro is slightly misleading. Basically, one may use as few as a single project (per language pair if one works in several pairs), or as many as one project per translation jobs, with everything in between, such as one project per customer, for example.

TMs (a
... See more
TMs are stored in one or more folders (in my experience, it makes life easier to have all TMs residing in a single folder, but sometimes a specific TM needs to be kept in a different folder).

The term "project" in WfPro is slightly misleading. Basically, one may use as few as a single project (per language pair if one works in several pairs), or as many as one project per translation jobs, with everything in between, such as one project per customer, for example.

TMs (and glossaries, for that matter) do need to be individually added to projects. Please note that you may, for example, use a TM a specific purpose (for that particular job, or customer, or technical sector, etc.) by enabling or not the "read-only" feature.

IOW, you seem to have answered your own questions when you write "I would like to have to something like a Wordfast folder with a bunch of TMs and be able to choose for each new project which TMs from that folder I need this time." That is how Wf works.

The same goes for glossaries.
Collapse

Mark van de Velde
Mark van de Velde
Poland
Local time: 11:00
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Can certain TMs be temporarily disabled? Aug 16, 2018

Thanks for your reply. I now made a "project", which is currently little more than a collection of Translation Memories for a certain language combination. To this project I will add files to be translated, even if there are unrelated.

I know that TM's can be set to "read only", but matches from these TM's will still appear, right? I just cannot write new translations to these "read only" TMs. Is there a way to temporarily disable certain TM's for certain files within one and the sa
... See more
Thanks for your reply. I now made a "project", which is currently little more than a collection of Translation Memories for a certain language combination. To this project I will add files to be translated, even if there are unrelated.

I know that TM's can be set to "read only", but matches from these TM's will still appear, right? I just cannot write new translations to these "read only" TMs. Is there a way to temporarily disable certain TM's for certain files within one and the same project?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to use a TM in multiple projects?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »