Thread poster: Comunican
Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 15, 2020

I keep my Wordfast Pro files on one drive on my computer and then run a daily batch program to move them to another drive as back up. However, this involves a lot of files - many of which I am sure don't actually need to be backed up, and really what I want to do is only copy the TMs and glossaries (seeing as they are the files that change and are most valuable). Does anyone know where they are located, please?

Also, do you know how to delete old, archived documents and associated W
... See more
I keep my Wordfast Pro files on one drive on my computer and then run a daily batch program to move them to another drive as back up. However, this involves a lot of files - many of which I am sure don't actually need to be backed up, and really what I want to do is only copy the TMs and glossaries (seeing as they are the files that change and are most valuable). Does anyone know where they are located, please?

Also, do you know how to delete old, archived documents and associated WF Pro files since (illogically, in my opinion), Wf only offers two options: "Remove from the list only" or "Remove from the list and move the following resources to Archive folder"... so, does anyone know how I find the Archive folder and empty it, please?

Thanks!
Collapse

JohnWhi
JohnWhi
United Kingdom
French to English
Location of TM and glossaries Apr 18, 2020

From within a project, if you click on "Project TM", it gives the actual location of the Translation Memory under "Location". If you click on "Project Terminology", it gives the location of glossaries in the same way. (Just checked this in both Mac and Windows.) For saving a copy of the TM, I tend to export to TMX and put it in a few places like OneDrive and DropBox, as well as on another computer. Restoring from this seems to work well.
The Archive Folder is supposed to be in the Projects
... See more
From within a project, if you click on "Project TM", it gives the actual location of the Translation Memory under "Location". If you click on "Project Terminology", it gives the location of glossaries in the same way. (Just checked this in both Mac and Windows.) For saving a copy of the TM, I tend to export to TMX and put it in a few places like OneDrive and DropBox, as well as on another computer. Restoring from this seems to work well.
The Archive Folder is supposed to be in the Projects Folder that, in my case, is in a folder called Wordfast Pro.

[Edited at 2020-04-18 18:44 GMT]
Collapse

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 22, 2020

Hi there
Thanks for your help. I can find the overall folder for each project, but can't find the TM or specific file for the TM or Glossary - the folder shows only: core.lock, core.properties and then a data folder and a files folder.
But in any case, I've concluded it's best if I just keep my existing automated daily backup of everything rather than trying to fiddle about too much!
Thanks again for your help!

JohnWhi wrote:

The Archive Folder is supposed to be in the Projects Folder that, in my case, is in a folder called Wordfast Pro.

[Edited at 2020-04-18 18:44 GMT]

JohnWhi
JohnWhi
United Kingdom
French to English
TM folder contents Apr 22, 2020

Sounds like you are looking at the TM folder. I have "core properties" and three folders, "conf" that is empty, "files" that contains only schema.1.json of 4 bytes, and "data2" with folder "index" with a large number of files. That's why TMX is good because it saves it in a single file that you can still open in a text editor if you want to adjust the language. Glossaries are similarly complex, though mainly text files, so saving them as TBX can be handy, though mine started life as Excel files,... See more
Sounds like you are looking at the TM folder. I have "core properties" and three folders, "conf" that is empty, "files" that contains only schema.1.json of 4 bytes, and "data2" with folder "index" with a large number of files. That's why TMX is good because it saves it in a single file that you can still open in a text editor if you want to adjust the language. Glossaries are similarly complex, though mainly text files, so saving them as TBX can be handy, though mine started life as Excel files, so I keep those for reference.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro 5 - backing up

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »