Wordfast classic installation on Word/Mac with Big Sur
Thread poster: Kaig
Kaig
Kaig
Poland
Local time: 08:10
Dec 27, 2020

Hi,

I've just switched the Mac, and I can't install Wordfast Classic on my Word for Mac. I have Word version 16.44 and macOS Big Sur 11.1.

Unfortunately I can't follow the instructions for manual installation attached to the Wordfast download, as the required folder directory does not exist and so I can't drop the files as instructed. I can't create the required folders either, as the names are already taken and the system does not allow it.

I would very mu
... See more
Hi,

I've just switched the Mac, and I can't install Wordfast Classic on my Word for Mac. I have Word version 16.44 and macOS Big Sur 11.1.

Unfortunately I can't follow the instructions for manual installation attached to the Wordfast download, as the required folder directory does not exist and so I can't drop the files as instructed. I can't create the required folders either, as the names are already taken and the system does not allow it.

I would very much appreciate your help.
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Not supported Dec 27, 2020

Wordfast Classic DOES NOT run on MS Word 2008, 2016 or 2019 for Mac.

Kaig
Kaig
Poland
TOPIC STARTER
Manual says it should work. Dec 27, 2020

The manual says otherwise 🤔.

Manual installation (Mac and Windows)

wordfast.dot should not be opened in Ms-Word as a document. Manual installation simply requires dropping wordfast.dot and WFC8.en.ui into the correct folder. Here is how to find that folder:

Mac OSX:

Mac Word 2011: Applications:Microsoft Office X:Office:Startup:Word
Mac Word 2011 only: see how to install the toolbar. Caution: Ms-Word 2011 is not compatible with OSX Cata
... See more
The manual says otherwise 🤔.

Manual installation (Mac and Windows)

wordfast.dot should not be opened in Ms-Word as a document. Manual installation simply requires dropping wordfast.dot and WFC8.en.ui into the correct folder. Here is how to find that folder:

Mac OSX:

Mac Word 2011: Applications:Microsoft Office X:Office:Startup:Word
Mac Word 2011 only: see how to install the toolbar. Caution: Ms-Word 2011 is not compatible with OSX Catalina or above.

Mac Word 2016, 2019 (not Word 2011): Apple imposes a strict Sandboxing policy on Microsoft Office, only allowing one predefined folder. Here is how to find it:
Find a folder named UBF8T346G9.Office. Tip: with the Finder, search for UBF8T:
If it does not exist, create that folder as a sub-folder to Users>Library>Group Containers.
Inside the UBF8T346G9.Office folder, manually create a Wordfast subfolder (use the File/New folder menu).
Add a shortcut for the new Wordfast folder in the Finder's vertical bar for quick access, using the Finder's File/Add to side bar menu.
Copy wordfast.dot and WFC8.en.ui into that folder. You can also copy your existing translation memories and glossaries if applicable. The Finder should now look like:
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
WF Website Dec 27, 2020

https://www.wordfast.com/products/wordfast_classic

Under Specifications you'll find:

Wordfast Classic DOES NOT run on MS Word 2008, 2016 or 2019 for Mac.

So you'll just have to look for another CAT tool that is supported on Mac. You can choose WFP, but there are very good alternatives.

If you want to keep using WFC, you'll have to install the free VMware Fusion, Windows 10 and MS Word 365. That's two extra licenses.

If you need any more info about a good stand-alone CAT tool for Mac, I'd be happy to advise you.

[Edited at 2020-12-28 08:12 GMT]

Kaig
Kaig
Poland
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Dec 30, 2020

Thank you! I'll have to research the available options. 🤔

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Loads of info available at Proz.com Dec 30, 2020

Kaig wrote:

Thank you! I'll have to research the available options. 🤔

https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/274576-best_cat_tool_for_mac-page4.html

https://www.proz.com/forum/apple_mac_operating_systems/329291-are_there_any_other_cat_tools_for_mac_other_than_memsource.html

Good luck!

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Wordfast Classic is compatible with Word 2019 on Mac Jan 4, 2021

Hello,
The Wordfast website and product brief had not been updated. Wordfast Classic is compatible with Word 2019 on Mac.

Happy new year,
John

Kaig
Kaig
Poland
TOPIC STARTER
Great news! Jan 4, 2021

How do I install it then? I can't make Wordfast show the Toolbar. I've tried everything I could think of...

John Di Rico wrote:

Hello,
The Wordfast website and product brief had not been updated. Wordfast Classic is compatible with Word 2019 on Mac.

Happy new year,
John

Yves Champollion
Yves Champollion  Identity Verified
English to French
Mac: installing Wordfast Classic on Word 2016.xx Jan 5, 2021

Kaig wrote:

Hi,

Hi Kaig,

> "as the required folder directory does not exist"

> "I can't create the required folders either, as the names are already taken"

This is where I am surprised. If the names are already taken... it's probably because the folder exists.

Can you make double sure there is no folder with a name approaching the one that the manual states:

https://www.wordfast.net/WFC/WFC8_Manual.html#installation

Cheers,
Yves Champollion

Kaig
Kaig
Poland
TOPIC STARTER
Library folder already exists. Jan 5, 2021

I've tried to find the folders manually and using the search engine. The default folder structure is:

Applications
Library
System
Users
(all on the same level).

The manual instructs to create subfolders in the Users folder, the first one in the series being "Library". Unfortunately I can't do that, as the Library folder already exists.

Yves Champollion wrote:

Kaig wrote:

Hi,

Hi Kaig,

> "as the required folder directory does not exist"

> "I can't create the required folders either, as the names are already taken"

This is where I am surprised. If the names are already taken... it's probably because the folder exists.

Can you make double sure there is no folder with a name approaching the one that the manual states:

https://www.wordfast.net/WFC/WFC8_Manual.html#installation

Cheers,
Yves Champollion

David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
You cannot create a folder that already exists Jan 6, 2021

Kaig wrote:

The manual instructs to create subfolders in the Users folder, the first one in the series being "Library". Unfortunately I can't do that, as the Library folder already exists.

I actually believe the manual suggests you should go to the following folder on your Mac:

Users > Library > Group Containers

and see if there's a folder called UBF8T346G9.Office there. If it is, fine. If it's not, create the folder (i.e. create a new folder there and make sure its name is UBF8T346G9.Office).

Enter the UBF8T346G9.Office folder, create a new folder there, and make sure its name is Wordfast. Finally, copy wordfast.dot and WFC8.en.ui files into the new Wordfast folder.

When you have done this, add wordfast.dot as a template into MS Word on your Mac (the user manual has details how to do it).

I hope this will help you.

Kaig
Kaig
Poland
TOPIC STARTER
IT WORKED! Jan 6, 2021

Hi!

I managed to find the UBF8T346G9.Office folder. How I did it, I still don't know - I believe I must have revealed hidden files. I've created the Wordfast folder and pasted both required files. Then I've added the Wordfast.dot template. Still no toolbar appeared, but by trial and error I did what I would usually do to open a segment (option + arrow down) and the toolbar appeared! I'm so happy!!! 😀

Thank you so much for helping me with this! I'm new to Mac and thus
... See more
Hi!

I managed to find the UBF8T346G9.Office folder. How I did it, I still don't know - I believe I must have revealed hidden files. I've created the Wordfast folder and pasted both required files. Then I've added the Wordfast.dot template. Still no toolbar appeared, but by trial and error I did what I would usually do to open a segment (option + arrow down) and the toolbar appeared! I'm so happy!!! 😀

Thank you so much for helping me with this! I'm new to Mac and thus unfamiliar with peculiarities of the system.

Do you happen to know how to dock the Wordfast toolbar in Word ribbon? Now it's a completely separate entity, not attached to Word in any way; it even stays on after Word is closed.
Is there any tool similar to the good old PlusTools for Word/Mac?

Once again: THANK YOU!

David Daduč wrote:

Kaig wrote:

I actually believe the manual suggests you should go to the following folder on your Mac:

Users > Library > Group Containers

and see if there's a folder called UBF8T346G9.Office there. If it is, fine. If it's not, create the folder (i.e. create a new folder there and make sure its name is UBF8T346G9.Office).

Enter the UBF8T346G9.Office folder, create a new folder there, and make sure its name is Wordfast. Finally, copy wordfast.dot and WFC8.en.ui files into the new Wordfast folder.

When you have done this, add wordfast.dot as a template into MS Word on your Mac (the user manual has details how to do it).

I hope this will help you.

[Edited at 2021-01-06 23:04 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-01-06 23:06 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-01-07 18:09 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast classic installation on Word/Mac with Big Sur

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »