PlusTools on Word for Mac Error 75
Thread poster: Kaig
Kaig
Kaig
Poland
Local time: 20:06
Jan 7, 2021

Hi,

I've just managed to launch Wordfast Classic on Word for Mac. I've also succeeded in launching PlusTools. I've aligned two text in the table. but the following error posed up when I tried to created the TM.

Run-time error 75
Path/file access error

What might be the problem here?

I'll be thankful for you advice.

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Permissions Jan 10, 2021

Impossible to say, but just guessing: the app tries to create a temp file without proper permissions.

MacOS security and sandboxing has been changed and tightened considerably over the last few years. If PlusTools is more than a couple of years old it's quite likely to break.

Joakim Braun
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Not a MacOS error code Jan 10, 2021

Native MacOS system error codes are usually negative numbers. So the runtime error code is probably from PlusTools, not from the system.

This indicates it's a Microsoft error:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-my/help/964575/error-75-path-file-access-error

Are you running the app in an emulator?

Joakim Braun
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Microsoft error code Jan 10, 2021

Aha, so WordFast Classic (and presumably PlusTools) is purely an MS Word add-on? Then 75 is indeed a Microsoft error code. I still suspect it's permission-related.

Kaig
Kaig
Poland
TOPIC STARTER
What’s an emulator? Jan 10, 2021

Hi,
I'm not sure about the emulator. I run PlusTools in a Word document. No other app is involved. The alignment table and Add-ons tab appear in Word.

Joakim Braun wrote:

Native MacOS system error codes are usually negative numbers. So the runtime error code is probably from PlusTools, not from the system.

This indicates it's a Microsoft error:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-my/help/964575/error-75-path-file-access-error

Are you running the app in an emulator?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Kaig Jan 10, 2021

Kaig wrote:
I've just managed to launch Wordfast Classic on Word for Mac. I've also succeeded in launching PlusTools. I've aligned two text in the table. but the following error posed up when I tried to created the TM:
Run-time error 75
Path/file access error

I'm on Windows, but the error (and the point at which it occurs) is very familiar. I don't know of what applies to Word on Windows also applies to Word on Mac, but:

PlusTools needs to write a temporary file, and it writes the file to a location that is specified in Word. Sometimes, Word specifies the default file location to be some kind of system directory (under Windows, Word resets this setting every now and then, which is annoying). So, in your version of Word, find out where the default file locations are set, and make sure you point it to a folder that Word can actually access (e.g. your Desktop).

Joakim Braun wrote:
Aha, so WordFast Classic (and presumably PlusTools) is purely an MS Word add-on?

They are macros that run in Word. I suppose the modern generation of computer users might refer to them as "add-ons" or "extensions", but I know them as "macros".

[Edited at 2021-01-10 19:03 GMT]

Joakim Braun
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Yes Jan 10, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

Joakim Braun wrote:
Aha, so WordFast Classic (and presumably PlusTools) is purely an MS Word add-on?

They are macros that run in Word. I suppose the modern generation of computer users might refer to them as "add-ons" or "extensions", but I know them as "macros".

Yes, I suspected that it's a collection of aging (to judge from the website) VBA scripts that try to write a temp file, perhaps in an unorthodox location, without proper permissions. There'll be a VBA way to run a permissions dialog for the temp directory (probably just a one-line code change), but not much a non-power user can do, if this is indeed the problem.

Joakim Braun
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Fix permissions Jan 10, 2021

Sometimes folder permissions are not quite what the application expects. One thing to try is to "fix permissions" on your disk (see Google).

[Bearbeitet am 2021-01-10 21:56 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
On unorthodox locations Jan 11, 2021

Joakim Braun wrote:
I suspected that it's a collection of aging ... VBA scripts that try to write a temp file, perhaps in an unorthodox location, without proper permissions.

Here's a screenshot of what sometimes happens to the Word settings on my Windows computer:

options

As you can see, something had happened in Word that caused it to reset itself to have a system folder as its default "Documents" folder. This is the folder that PlusTools writes the temporary file to. In this state (i.e. if the "Documents" folder is a folder that PlusTools can't write to), PlusTools will not function. What I as the user would have to do is to change the default "Documents" folder in Word to something else, e.g. my Desktop. Then PlusTools will work.

Kaig
Kaig
Poland
TOPIC STARTER
No option to change Documents location Jan 22, 2021

Thanks for the suggestion.

I would very much like to give it a try. The problem is, in my version of Word there is no option to change the default file location for Documents. There is simply no such item on the list (I don't know how to post a screenshot here).
There's just:
Images
User templates
Workgroup templates
AutoRecover files
Tools
Start-up

Which one should be changed, in your opinion?

Samuel Murray wrote:

Joakim Braun wrote:
I suspected that it's a collection of aging ... VBA scripts that try to write a temp file, perhaps in an unorthodox location, without proper permissions.

Here's a screenshot of what sometimes happens to the Word settings on my Windows computer:

options

As you can see, something had happened in Word that caused it to reset itself to have a system folder as its default "Documents" folder. This is the folder that PlusTools writes the temporary file to. In this state (i.e. if the "Documents" folder is a folder that PlusTools can't write to), PlusTools will not function. What I as the user would have to do is to change the default "Documents" folder in Word to something else, e.g. my Desktop. Then PlusTools will work.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
No such option in Word 16 for Mac Jan 22, 2021

Kaig wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion.

I would very much like to give it a try. The problem is, in my version of Word there is no option to change the default file location for Documents. There is simply no such item on the list (I don't know how to post a screenshot here).
There's just:
Images
User templates
Workgroup templates
AutoRecover files
Tools
Start-up

Which one should be changed, in your opinion?

Screenshot 2021-01-22 at 12.53.30

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_word-mso_mac-mso_365hp/default-save-as-location-in-microsoft-office-on-a/41cb1b4f-95f2-44f3-8947-71b91dcab859 tells you:

The File location settings mentioned above is: Word > Preferences > Personal Settings > File Locations. There was a setting to set a default file save location in Office for Mac 2011. But it is not available anymore in Office 365 for Mac.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PlusTools on Word for Mac Error 75

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »