Project Connect: Special and Exclusive Opportunities?
Thread poster: Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 4, 2007

When "Project Connect was announced, my recollection is that it was intended to connect well-paying outsourcers offering particularly inviting projects with highly qualified translators. Today, a 2000-word project was posted involving translation into English and offering what nearly any qualified professional translating into that language would consider, at best, a mediocre rate.

Why does such a small job offering such a modest rate warrant the special categorization? I confess to
... See more
When "Project Connect was announced, my recollection is that it was intended to connect well-paying outsourcers offering particularly inviting projects with highly qualified translators. Today, a 2000-word project was posted involving translation into English and offering what nearly any qualified professional translating into that language would consider, at best, a mediocre rate.

Why does such a small job offering such a modest rate warrant the special categorization? I confess to being mystified, and rather underwhelmed.

Bob

[Edited at 2007-10-04 02:51]
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
There are "premium" and non-premium jobs Oct 4, 2007

You're right that Project Connect is "intended to connect well-paying outsourcers offering particularly inviting projects with highly qualified translators."

As part of Project Connect, in our efforts to make ProZ.com more appealing to such outsourcers, and in response to their requests, we created a convenient new platform for finding and working with ProZ.com members. That platform has recently been made available to all corporate members of ProZ.com. As a result, there are now al
... See more
You're right that Project Connect is "intended to connect well-paying outsourcers offering particularly inviting projects with highly qualified translators."

As part of Project Connect, in our efforts to make ProZ.com more appealing to such outsourcers, and in response to their requests, we created a convenient new platform for finding and working with ProZ.com members. That platform has recently been made available to all corporate members of ProZ.com. As a result, there are now all sorts of jobs being posted via the Connect platform. To differentiate, we have the label "premium", which we have instructed outsourcers is to be applied only for jobs that pay better than average rates (when compared to the average rates among ProZ.com members). We are relying on the community to let us know if jobs are marked premium but do not pay better than average rates so that we can address matters with the outsourcers (who have already been instructed to use the label 'premium' as above).

It is possible to subscribe only to 'premium' Connect notifications.
Collapse

Ivana UK
Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:59
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Hi Henry, Oct 4, 2007

Henry D wrote:

We are relying on the community to let us know if jobs are marked premium but do not pay better than average rates so that we can address matters with the outsourcers (who have already been instructed to use the label 'premium' as above).

I recently received an offer of an extremely low paying job under the guise of a "Proz.com premium job".

Who should I inform? Should I submit a support ticket or contact someone directly?

Thanks in advance,

Ivana

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:59
English to German
+ ...
Submit a Support Request Oct 4, 2007

Hi Ivana,

I recently received an offer of an extremely low paying job under the guise of a "Proz.com premium job".

Who should I inform? Should I submit a support ticket or contact someone directly?

Please submit a Support Request, quoting the URL and/or uploading a copy of the notification.

Thanks, Ralf

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Minimum price-setting tool. Oct 4, 2007

I am aware that price-setting is a tricky issue.
So I was wondering if Proz connect has a minimimum-rate setting option, setting a price below which outsourcers can not post.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Premium jobs can not be below average rate Oct 4, 2007

Williamson wrote:

So I was wondering if Proz connect has a minimimum-rate setting option, setting a price below which outsourcers can not post.

Premium jobs must be above the average rate in the language pair.

Mike Kidd (X)
Mike Kidd (X)
United States
Mislabeled, now fixed Oct 4, 2007

Hi Ivana,

Thanks for commenting. Also it was good to chat with you just now.

I apologize for your Connect! experience earlier this week.

There was a job post on Connect! that the Corporate Member had no intention of representing as "Premium." However, our email tag mislabeled the job as such to those who received notification.

Thanks to feedback from those who received the notification, we were made aware of the issue and fixed it immediate
... See more
Hi Ivana,

Thanks for commenting. Also it was good to chat with you just now.

I apologize for your Connect! experience earlier this week.

There was a job post on Connect! that the Corporate Member had no intention of representing as "Premium." However, our email tag mislabeled the job as such to those who received notification.

Thanks to feedback from those who received the notification, we were made aware of the issue and fixed it immediately.

To all, please keep the feedback coming.

Best,

Mike
Collapse

Ivana UK
Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Thanks Ralf, Oct 4, 2007

Just a quick update - it seems that this was a technical issue/error, so not the outsourcer's fault (and I now know to submit a support ticket in future!)

Fernando D. Walker
Fernando D. Walker  Identity Verified

Local time: 05:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
Is it possible... Oct 4, 2007

Hi,
I was wondering if it would be possible to spread the news to every forum in Proz. In my case, I received an offering from Connect only once, but I did not meet all the qualifications necessary to post for that job. I think many translators do not know what is this all about.
Best,
Fernando

Luis Arri Cibils
Luis Arri Cibils  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hi, Henry Oct 4, 2007

Henry D wrote:

Williamson wrote:

Premium jobs must be above the average rate in the language pair.

Thank you for the explanation, Henry. I did not know that.

When I learned of this requirement, I went to look at my rates. I set them long ago and had forgotten about them.

Here is what I found:

1. My lowest rate was 3 cents below the price that today I would just start considering working on a job.

2. My highest rate was the price I offer today to my new clients and only in those cases where the document is in Word doc format, the deadline is very comfortable and the text not excessively complex.

In short, because I had not updated my fees to reflect my current practice, I was dragging down the community's average. Before it was just statistics, no harm done. But now, it was affecting, in fact, the definition of a premium job. My apologies to the community. It is now corrected. My declared rates now fully reflect my practice.

Henry, shouldn't we let everybody know about the importance of updating the rates, particularly in reference to premium jobs, perhaps in the language specific forums?

Best,

Luis

[Edited at 2007-10-04 14:27]

Marcela Mestre
Marcela Mestre  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:59
English to Spanish
Agree Oct 4, 2007

Luis Arri Cibils wrote:

Henry, shouldn't we let everybody know about the importance of updating the rates, particularly in reference to premium jobs, perhaps in the language specific forums?

So as to avoid dragging down average rates.
Great suggestion, Luis.
mm

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Project Connect: Special and Exclusive Opportunities?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »