Stran v tématu:   [1 2] >
Has anyone been rejected for a job because you have accent in a 2nd language?
Autor vlákna: Joanna Wang
Joanna Wang
Joanna Wang  Identity Verified
Spojené státy americké
Local time: 08:01
angličtina -> čínština
Sep 20, 2013

[Edited at 2013-09-21 13:24 GMT]

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
Čína
Local time: 21:01
čínština -> angličtina
I've been rejected because my 2nd language wasn't good enough Sep 21, 2013

Perhaps that's what happened to you?

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japonsko
Local time: 22:01
japonština -> angličtina
+ ...
No, but Sep 21, 2013

I've been rejected for jobs on multiple occasions just for being a foreigner, without anyone even knowing how well I do or don't speak the language.

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
Spojené státy americké
Local time: 09:01
ruština -> angličtina
+ ...
If it was just because of the accent for jobs other than acting, Sep 21, 2013

you could sue the company in the US, if you could prove it. If you make grammatical mistakes in the company's correspondence -- they can fire, or reject anyone, with a different accent than the one most people speak in the area, or not -- with a perfect regional accent.

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
Francie
Local time: 15:01
angličtina -> francouzština
+ ...
as a freelancer ? interpreter ? Translator ? Sep 21, 2013

Joanna Wang wrote:

Has anyone rejected for a job because you have accent in a 2nd language?

It is not easy to answer your question ...

To have an accent is a very subjective point of view. In many countries native speakers have different regional accents.

[Edited at 2013-09-21 11:54 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
Velká Británie
Local time: 14:01
Člen (2008)
italština -> angličtina
What do you mean? Sep 21, 2013

Do you mean "has anyone BEEN rejected for a job" or "have YOU rejected anyone for a job" ?

[Edited at 2013-09-21 12:50 GMT]

Joanna Wang
Joanna Wang  Identity Verified
Spojené státy americké
Local time: 08:01
angličtina -> čínština
AUTOR TÉMATU
Thank you for noticing the typo! Sep 21, 2013

Tom in London wrote:

Do you mean "has anyone BEEN rejected for a job" or "have YOU rejected anyone for a job" ?

[Edited at 2013-09-21 12:50 GMT]

Just made the correction. Thanks Tom!

[Edited at 2013-09-21 13:25 GMT]

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hongkong
Local time: 21:01
Člen
čínština -> angličtina
+ ...
No Sep 21, 2013

I've never been told the reasons for rejection, nor have I ever asked. I don't know if any employer would give you an honest answer anyway.

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
švédština -> angličtina
Accent Sep 21, 2013

Pretty well every translator would be rejected if the client insisted on someone who spoke the required second language without any accent.

Everybody has a foreign accent in their second language if learnt after about the age of eleven. It's only a question of more or less. Many second-language speakers believe that they do not have an accent, mainly because friends and acquaintances compliment them on their fluency.

I heard a professor in linguistics (or whatever) wh
... See more
Pretty well every translator would be rejected if the client insisted on someone who spoke the required second language without any accent.

Everybody has a foreign accent in their second language if learnt after about the age of eleven. It's only a question of more or less. Many second-language speakers believe that they do not have an accent, mainly because friends and acquaintances compliment them on their fluency.

I heard a professor in linguistics (or whatever) who could detect the background dialect or accent of people who spoke the Queen's English excellently and he could pinpoint without fail the person's origin.
Collapse

Eileen Cartoon
Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
italština -> angličtina
Actually I was once... Sep 21, 2013

in this case it wasn't translation but rather teaching.
I was to be English lecturer in an Italian high school but at the last minute, after everything had been agreed, they opted for another person because I have an American accent. I a certain sense I could have understood it because, here in Italy, they want British English but, the person the took was Irish and a stutterer (in fact I could never understand his English, I could only understand him in Italian because he was more unsure a
... See more
in this case it wasn't translation but rather teaching.
I was to be English lecturer in an Italian high school but at the last minute, after everything had been agreed, they opted for another person because I have an American accent. I a certain sense I could have understood it because, here in Italy, they want British English but, the person the took was Irish and a stutterer (in fact I could never understand his English, I could only understand him in Italian because he was more unsure and spoke more slowly and clearly).

But I had my revenge. They called me mid year. He had quit on them and they were desparate to find a replacement but I refused the job.

Anyway it wasn't the accent in the 2nd language but in the 1st.
Eileen
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Španělsko
španělština -> angličtina
+ ...
No Sep 21, 2013

Not as far as I know, but the poll question remains me of an anecdote. Some years ago, a friend of mine applied for a job teaching EFL in Lyon, France. The job was well paid, with a young, dynamic company using NLP and other modern techniques, and sounded really promising. She eventually ended up working with them for a couple of years. However, before she started working with them, she had mentioned the job to a friend of hers from the USA. He called the company and had a very positive intervie... See more
Not as far as I know, but the poll question remains me of an anecdote. Some years ago, a friend of mine applied for a job teaching EFL in Lyon, France. The job was well paid, with a young, dynamic company using NLP and other modern techniques, and sounded really promising. She eventually ended up working with them for a couple of years. However, before she started working with them, she had mentioned the job to a friend of hers from the USA. He called the company and had a very positive interview with them over the phone, after which they invited him to go to Lyon for an in-person interview. When he arrived there, he immediately noticed an uncomfortable "vibe" and after the interview they told him that they had really been looking for someone with a UK English accent and politely told them they didn't think he was suitable for the job. He thought this was strange, since he'd already had a long spoken interview with them over the phone. We eventually came to the conclusion that the decision must have had more to do with his skin colour than his accent or anything else...

[Edited at 2013-09-21 16:48 GMT]
Collapse

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
Spojené státy americké
Local time: 06:01
Člen (2006)
norština -> angličtina
+ ...
Illegal discrimination in hiring decisions - US Sep 21, 2013

"Because an employee's accent is often associated with his or her national origin, employment decisions based on accent are examined closely by courts. An employer may decide not to hire or promote an employee to a position that requires clear oral communication in English if the employee's accent substantially affects his or her ability to communicate clearly. However, if the employee's accent does not impair his or her ability to be understood, the employer may not make job decisions on that b... See more
"Because an employee's accent is often associated with his or her national origin, employment decisions based on accent are examined closely by courts. An employer may decide not to hire or promote an employee to a position that requires clear oral communication in English if the employee's accent substantially affects his or her ability to communicate clearly. However, if the employee's accent does not impair his or her ability to be understood, the employer may not make job decisions on that basis. For example, an employer may not simply adopt a blanket rule that employees who speak accented English may not work in customer service positions."

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/language-accent-discrimination-workplace-33464.html
Collapse

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japonsko
Local time: 22:01
japonština -> angličtina
+ ...
The letter of the law Sep 21, 2013

Michele Fauble wrote:

"Because an employee's accent is often associated with his or her national origin, employment decisions based on accent are examined closely by courts. An employer may decide not to hire or promote an employee to a position that requires clear oral communication in English if the employee's accent substantially affects his or her ability to communicate clearly. However, if the employee's accent does not impair his or her ability to be understood, the employer may not make job decisions on that basis. For example, an employer may not simply adopt a blanket rule that employees who speak accented English may not work in customer service positions."

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/language-accent-discrimination-workplace-33464.html

Many countries have similar statutes, but almost no employer is going to say, "Uh, your accent is too strong. I'm sorry, but I can't hire you for this position." In fact, I don't believe that they are required to tell you a reason at all for not hiring you. So while the law looks good on paper, they are many ways around it in practice and I'm not sure how useful it really is.

An employer can refuse to hire someone for almost any reason: race, language/accent, economic status, etc. He or she just can't tell them that reason. Hiring is a subjective process and it would be nearly impossible in most cases to prove in court that you were not hired because of discriminatory reasons. You can't prove what is in someone's head (unless they said it out loud, and even then you'd probably have to get it on tape to win any kind of lawsuit).

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
Spojené státy americké
Local time: 09:01
ruština -> angličtina
+ ...
Yes, it is true, but they cannot advertise it Sep 22, 2013

or openly say it. They may think someone is too obese, or too tall, too talkative, uses the wrong perfume. They just cannot openly say it, but it is sad, after all, that a great law goes to waste like that. But what can you do -- how can you prove in practice what the real reason is? Many will also fire you when you reach the top salary they can afford -- some smaller companies, or if you become too independent.

You could sue them if they put in their ad: "We need an office assista
... See more
or openly say it. They may think someone is too obese, or too tall, too talkative, uses the wrong perfume. They just cannot openly say it, but it is sad, after all, that a great law goes to waste like that. But what can you do -- how can you prove in practice what the real reason is? Many will also fire you when you reach the top salary they can afford -- some smaller companies, or if you become too independent.

You could sue them if they put in their ad: "We need an office assistant with a native X accent only, or native in X", or if they wrote you a letter stating: "Thank you for the interview. You seem like a great candidate but your accent prevents us from offering you the job." Some less aware people may actually write something like that. (This is related to US laws only)

[Edited at 2013-09-22 10:57 GMT]
Collapse

Angelique Blommaert
Angelique Blommaert  Identity Verified
Nizozemsko
Člen (2012)
němčina -> nizozemština
+ ...
No, never. Sep 22, 2013

It would be very strange to reject because of an accent in a 2nd language. I mean, that is what the question is, isn't it? Imagine I would apply for a job here in the Netherlands, which would be in Dutch, they could not just say: hey, your English or German or French sounds weird, we're not going to hire you. If the job requires perfect skills in a certain second language it would be different. Needless to say that I would never apply for a job in French...mine sounds horrible.

Stran v tématu:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »