Yngve Roennike
Local time: 11:48
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes! Dec 7, 2007

Margreet Logmans wrote:

Yngve Roennike wrote:

We used to get here at one local international newsstand the NRC, a rather dour paper in my view. We used to get also the Algemene Dagblad, and most international newsstores, well the few that exist, will stock the Dutch tabloid-like broadsheet, argh, the name escapes me right now (shows you how little impression it has made on me).

I think you mean De Telegraaf.

Precisely!
They claim, without probably knowing what they are talking about, that it's the only one that actually sells. What a rag - what a pity!

Nizamettin Yigit
Nizamettin Yigit  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:48
Dutch to Turkish
+ ...
Try to ask in a different way Dec 7, 2007

Hi,

I know the reason. As a person who lived 10 years in states, I can, perhaps say the reason is that "you are accustomed to have American way of services, very well customized".

But it may be difficult to see that here.

Also customer support person usually can give you the answer that he/she sees in his menue. So try to ask a weekend subscription. You may get. I remember Chicago Tribune had an option and you could subscribe to paper only for Sundays.
... See more
Hi,

I know the reason. As a person who lived 10 years in states, I can, perhaps say the reason is that "you are accustomed to have American way of services, very well customized".

Also customer support person usually can give you the answer that he/she sees in his menue. So try to ask a weekend subscription. You may get. I remember Chicago Tribune had an option and you could subscribe to paper only for Sundays.

For the software thing I had the same story with euroglot.
I had an older version that had multi lingual (5) dictionary, but the newer version now is only Dutch-English (costs €200). Meaning that when I updated I lost other 4 language combinations, and add-ons etc. This was supposed to be an update.

All of this shows the differences in the marketting mentality.
SDU could have extracted only RealEstate Terms as an add-on and sell it that way, for the ones who would not want to switch into new one.
This is just to make a customer happy. Because an unhappy customer does not bring profit even he/she buys the new product!!!

What is the solution? Search for another solution which is made and marketed by someone else.

Good luck!

Nizam
Collapse

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Iyi günler Dec 8, 2007

Nizamettin Yigit wrote:

Hi,

For the software thing I had the same story with euroglot.
I had an older version that had multi lingual (5) dictionary, but the newer version now is only Dutch-English (costs €200). Meaning that when I updated I lost other 4 language combinations, and add-ons etc. This was supposed to be an update.

All of this shows the differences in the marketting mentality.
SDU could have extracted only RealEstate Terms as an add-on and sell it that way, for the ones who would not want to switch into new one.
This is just to make a customer happy. Because an unhappy customer does not bring profit even he/she buys the new product!!!

What is the solution? Search for another solution which is made and marketed by someone else.

Good luck!

Nizam

or is it iyi gün, anyway, you don't hear the y in in iyi much! I was wondering whether there is a connection to the Japanese ii, meaning good, through some sort of linguistic bridge between the Turkic Altaic group and Japanese, what do you think.

It's not like Holland is a cultural backwater of Europe, and it's quite an advanced place, of course, in most aspects, but this is sometimes at odds with attitudes you'll find there, which can be curiously backward and stubborn, I've noticed, and I've just provided three examples thereof.

Regards,
YR

[Edited at 2007-12-08 15:16]

Nizamettin Yigit
Nizamettin Yigit  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to Turkish
+ ...
iyi günler Dec 8, 2007

Yngve Roennike wrote:

[

or is it iyi gün, anyway, you don't hear the y in in iyi much! I was wondering whether there is a connection to the Japanese ii, meaning good, through some sort of linguistic bridge between the Turkic Altaic group and Japanese, what do you think.

It's not like Holland is a cultural backwater of Europe, and it's quite an advanced place, of course, in most aspects, but this is sometimes at odds with attitudes you'll find there, which can be curiously backward and stubborn, I've noticed, and I've just provided three examples thereof.

Regards,
YR

[Edited at 2007-12-08 15:16]

Hi,

Subject line was correct "iyi günler" is the correct usage.
To tell you the truth I dont know if there is any link in between Turkih iyi and Japanese ii . I have another Turkish fellow who studied Japanese. I will ask.

And yes. If we start to list positives I know we will have a longer list
But positives do not need a solution. And I also know the difficulty of setting up a client need which may not be as plenty as they find cost efficient. You need to have a seperate list, and assign a new internal work order to ship some clients for one day. Some of them will ask mondays, some other will ask weekend, and another one all seven issues in onde day.

Have you checked with them if they have a retail outlet whis your paper is sold? If you ask to that place it may be easy for them to keep a Sunday copy for you.

Finally would it be reasonable if someone mails the copies from here to you?
And I can colaborate in this regard.

Good luck,

Nizam

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Subscription matter Dec 9, 2007

That's okay Nizam, thanks for the offer.

There is a guy at the embassy here in the cultural department who has come to the rescue. All I have to do is call him and he'll place some older copies in the foyer or send them to me. I would have prefered someone pressing the copies into my hot hand according to a fixed schedule. Impulse ordering/buying is no substitute for on-time subscription.

Wilmer Brouwer
Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Not compared to the Sun Dec 12, 2007

Yngve Roennike wrote:

Margreet Logmans wrote:

Yngve Roennike wrote:

We used to get here at one local international newsstand the NRC, a rather dour paper in my view. We used to get also the Algemene Dagblad, and most international newsstores, well the few that exist, will stock the Dutch tabloid-like broadsheet, argh, the name escapes me right now (shows you how little impression it has made on me).

I think you mean De Telegraaf.

Precisely!
They claim, without probably knowing what they are talking about, that it's the only one that actually sells. What a rag - what a pity!

The Telegraaf is not a high quality newspaper, but compared to what they produce here in England (the Sun, the Mirror) it is quite good.
I agree, by the way, that if I would have the choice between NRC and Volkskrant I would definitely choose the latter, but because I do not have this choice at the moment I am quite happy with the NRC.

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Ach, kijk nou toch! Dec 15, 2007

http://www.telegraaf.nl/binnenland/2797955/_De_Telegraaf_inluxewarenhuis_Parijs__.html?p=3,1

De "krant van wakker Nederland" is zeer vereerd u te kunnen meedelen dat hun schrijverij is opgenomen in een "kerststalletje" met rendieren.
Dat zegt iets over het niveau.

"En wat zien we verder? Eén van de feesten
... See more
http://www.telegraaf.nl/binnenland/2797955/_De_Telegraaf_inluxewarenhuis_Parijs__.html?p=3,1

De "krant van wakker Nederland" is zeer vereerd u te kunnen meedelen dat hun schrijverij is opgenomen in een "kerststalletje" met rendieren.
Dat zegt iets over het niveau.

"En wat zien we verder? Eén van de feestende rendieren is De Telegraaf aan het lezen! De meest noordelijke krant die in Parijs in alle kiosken te verkrijgen is, is de krant van wakker Nederland. Het exemplaar is wel een beetje besneeuwd, maar het is 'm echt!

De Telegraaf, in het winterwonderland van één van de meest chique warenhuizen van Parijs, een warme eer in dit koude decor!"

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Collapse

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Newsstand situation, follow-up Jan 11, 2008

Reply to Wilmer:

The comparison between the Sun and the Telegraph is inapt. The Sun (a Rupert Murdoch publication, I assume) is a tabloid and makes no pretense to be otherwise (page 3 nudie of the day), whereas the Telegraph poses as a broadsheet. And, it is no longer available in these parts, so no Dutch (or Flemish) papers can be purchased in a city that bills itself as the most important in the world

[Edited at 2008-01-11 13:55]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

What's wrong with Holland?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »