Tópico cartaz: Conroy Fritz
Conroy Fritz
Conroy Fritz  Identity Verified
Paraguai
Local time: 13:38
alemão para inglês
May 19, 2003

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what form of payment to ask for from agencies/clients residing in foreign countries. I live in the US and recently finished a project for an agency in Germany. I realize that agencies may not give you a choice, but in the event that you do have a choice, would you request something like Paypal, a check in EUROs, a check in US dollars, or another form of payment? Are there any advantages/disadvantages to some of these p
... See more
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what form of payment to ask for from agencies/clients residing in foreign countries. I live in the US and recently finished a project for an agency in Germany. I realize that agencies may not give you a choice, but in the event that you do have a choice, would you request something like Paypal, a check in EUROs, a check in US dollars, or another form of payment? Are there any advantages/disadvantages to some of these payment forms, such as fees or tax implications?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Conroy
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Alemanha
Local time: 19:38
inglês para alemão
+ ...
Have a look at "Money Matters" May 19, 2003

Hi Conroy,

Have a look at the \"Money Matters\" forum - we had quite a few threads recently dealing with different payment alternatives.

You can also use the forum search function.

Best regards, Ralf

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Letônia
Local time: 20:38
Membro (2003)
inglês para letão
+ ...
Re: Agencies tend to send check May 19, 2003

Yeah, they do. Right today our bank cleared one cheque for 100 Euros. Our bank for clearing took 10 of these and payers bank-

30.-

[addsig]

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:38
Membro (2001)
inglês para albanês
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Direct deposit May 19, 2003

Hello Conroy,

So far, I have asked the agencies overseas I work for to deposit the money in my bank account. If the currency they pay me is in USD (I live in the US), then my bank keeps a low fee of 5 USD from the deposit. If they pay me in Euros, Canadian $$ or GBP, then the fee is higher. Good luck,

Monika

2003-05-19 16:27 conroy wrote:

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what form of payment to ask for from agencies/clients residing in foreign countries. I live in the US and recently finished a project for an agency in Germany. I realize that agencies may not give you a choice, but in the event that you do have a choice, would you request something like Paypal, a check in EUROs, a check in US dollars, or another form of payment? Are there any advantages/disadvantages to some of these payment forms, such as fees or tax implications?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Conroy

Nicole Tata
Nicole Tata
Reino Unido
Local time: 18:38
inglês para alemão
+ ...
Open a German bank account May 20, 2003

Hi,

From my experience, German agencies prefer to pay by bank transfer directly into a GERMAN bank account, which means no (low?) bank charges for them and quick(er) payment for you. Might be worth doing, next time you\'re in Germany. Cheques and international money transfers, especially for small amounts, are notoriously expensive for sender and receiver alike, hence not that popular. I can\'t comment on PayPal (having used it only once) - perhaps best for regular, smaller amounts? <
... See more
Hi,

From my experience, German agencies prefer to pay by bank transfer directly into a GERMAN bank account, which means no (low?) bank charges for them and quick(er) payment for you. Might be worth doing, next time you\'re in Germany. Cheques and international money transfers, especially for small amounts, are notoriously expensive for sender and receiver alike, hence not that popular. I can\'t comment on PayPal (having used it only once) - perhaps best for regular, smaller amounts?

Good luck

Nicole
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Method of payment from foreign agencies

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »