Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >
Off topic: What is the funniest mistake you have come across when proofreading?
Thread poster: Paul Dixon
LM
LM
Local time: 14:03
English to Polish
+ ...
From a newspaper? Nov 21, 2008

Maybe it's only an "urban legend" but I heard of
a newspaper title:

El culo de la Virjen es muy popular en Brasil.

ass instead of cult

LM

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 09:03
English to Spanish
Reliving the trauma... Nov 21, 2008

Proofreading a math software, I found a puzzling function that calculated the "Absolute Deviation of the Stocking". Utterly intrigued and bewildered, I checked the source text to find the original "Desviación Absoluta de la Media" (or, as purist would have it, the "Mean Absolute Deviation").

The same text revealed later on hidden gems such as email "reshipment" (for "reenviar", i.e., "forward") and "leaf's border" (for "sheet border"). The horror! The horror!

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 08:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
hmmm Nov 21, 2008

Óscar's "beaten to a pulp" / "te golpeará con un pulpo" story (over which I'm still giggling, btw) reminded me of something I saw in a TV show:

English: "If they let this guy go, it'll be a travesty"

Traducción al español: "si lo dejan ir, me haré travesti" ("If they let this guy go, I'll become a transvestite").

It still doesn't beat the pulp --> pulpo --> octupus story, though
... See more
Óscar's "beaten to a pulp" / "te golpeará con un pulpo" story (over which I'm still giggling, btw) reminded me of something I saw in a TV show:

English: "If they let this guy go, it'll be a travesty"

Traducción al español: "si lo dejan ir, me haré travesti" ("If they let this guy go, I'll become a transvestite").

It still doesn't beat the pulp --> pulpo --> octupus story, though

Andrea
Collapse

Mandy Williams
Mandy Williams  Identity Verified
German to English
More breasts Nov 22, 2008

At the end of the 80s one of my German teachers asked us to write an essay about the environment and what could be done to save it. As you may be aware, German has various plural endings and I sometimes got them muddled up. I suggested in my essay that public transport facilities should be improved (they really were - and still are - atrocious in Gloucestershire). However, each time I wanted to suggest, for example, that there should be more buses, more reliable buses, etc., I used the wrong plu... See more
At the end of the 80s one of my German teachers asked us to write an essay about the environment and what could be done to save it. As you may be aware, German has various plural endings and I sometimes got them muddled up. I suggested in my essay that public transport facilities should be improved (they really were - and still are - atrocious in Gloucestershire). However, each time I wanted to suggest, for example, that there should be more buses, more reliable buses, etc., I used the wrong plural ending, turing "Bus" into "Busen" (breasts). My poor teacher apparently couldn't stop laughing and was actually in tears when he presented me with the corrected version.

Just realised that wasn't actually a translation mistake. Hope nobody minds!

[Edited at 2008-11-22 11:52 GMT]
Collapse

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Just caught this one in time, could have been very embrassing Nov 22, 2008

Just found this when proofreading my current project - a pharmaceutical batch record (the starting materials and products are narcotics)

For general information on dealing with narcotics, see Standard Operating Procedure XXX

dealing -> handling (don't want the workforce to start earning on the side!)

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
And even more breasts. Nov 22, 2008

A friend of mine, who is still learning Spanish, submitted a prayer request for the church bulletin regarding a member who has breast cancer:

Orar por XX quien tiene cancer de la pechuga.

Among other errors, he appears to be concerned that XX is eating diseased chicken.

human breast --> pecho, seno, mama
fowl (careful! not "foul"!) breast --> pechuga

Understandable error; he learned the word at the local fried-chicken restaurant.

Simon Mountifield wrote:

A few months ago, an agency (that I regularly work for) asked me to translate some menus for a high-end Parisian restaurant. Realising that I was rather busy and fairly confident of their English skills, they thought they would translate the "easy" bits to save me time!!

Well, the restaurant had decided to give each of its set menus the name of a bird, so there were things like "The Sparrow Menu", "The Eagle Menu", and so on. That's all very well, until the agency had a stab at translating the mésange menu. A mésange is a (blue)tit… you can probably see where this is going! As you can imagine, I creased up when I saw "The Tits Menu". I dare say such a menu exists if you go to certain seedy tourist resorts, but not some swanky Parisian restaurant!

Simon

Please, Simon, tell me that they renamed that menu entirely! There's nothing you can do with "tit." Even Blue Tit doesn't help a bit! I grew up with birdwatcher parents talking about a "Tufted Titmouse," and even I would have trouble, er... swallowing that menu.

Sara Senft
Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
More fun with body parts! Nov 22, 2008

I also tutor ESL (English as a Second Language) children in basic English-language academic skills. While I was evaluating the English level of one student (who was very new to English), one question had her identify a pencil. She ended up calling it a body part that women don't have.

Dina Abdo
Dina Abdo  Identity Verified
Palestine
Local time: 15:03
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
Let's see... Nov 22, 2008

This might be somewhat hard to understand for non-Arabic language speakers, but I'll try my best:

I asked some of my students to attempt translating several short texts providing two different versions:

1. Literal translation
2. Proper translation

Just to teach them the difference of the results. However, I ended up with some funny results:

"Mr. Mubarak" (A male name which is an Arabic name that means "the blessed one", while the phrase i
... See more
This might be somewhat hard to understand for non-Arabic language speakers, but I'll try my best:

I asked some of my students to attempt translating several short texts providing two different versions:

1. Literal translation
2. Proper translation

Just to teach them the difference of the results. However, I ended up with some funny results:

"Mr. Mubarak" (A male name which is an Arabic name that means "the blessed one", while the phrase itself is used in some Arabic cultures to mean "congratulations") was translated into "Mr. Congratulations"

There was also: "Multi-purpose Tray" which was supposed to indicate a part of a photocopying machine. The word "Tray" was translated as a "serving tray" instead.

Also, "Centre" which was supposed to indicate a centre of a circle was translated as a "shopping centre". Arabic slang use the word centre for shopping centers so guess it made sense to my student at the time

I also recall a phrase that stands for "Absolute Power" which is "Alsolta Almotlaka" in Arabic that was translated as "Alsalata Almotalaka" = "Divorced Salad"!

"Thorouf" = circumstances ... was translated into "Thorouf" = envelopes.

The task ended up with another lesson explaining what I actually meant with literal translation ... especially after naming the Egyptian president with "Mr. Congratulations"

I also recall an ESL student of mine (second grader) who insisted on using the Arabic plural form instead of the English form with English words. She always said "deskat" for "desks" and “classat" for "classes". And as soon as she overcame that problem, her mother came to school complaining that her daughter is now using the English plural form for Arabic words instead

Talking funny mistakes, I recall an article that talked about promoting for a new Pepsi motto in China. The motto was "Pepsi Brings You Back to Life", but instead ... it was translated as "Pepsi Brings Your Ancestors Back from Grave" ...
Collapse

Emanuela Galdelli
Emanuela Galdelli  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
This was wonderful and comic: Nov 22, 2008

"mozzarella di Buffalo" instead of "mozzarella di bufala", for "buffalo mozzarella".

Ops... I did not know that a special mozzarella is produced in Buffalo...

It made me smile)))))

Emmanuelle Hingant
Emmanuelle Hingant  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:03
English to French
Serviette Nov 27, 2008

I was proofreading a text about football and I came across Servette Football Club, which is a club in Geneva. The person - who had no idea about football during 30,000 words - translated: "La Serviette de Genève" (Geneva Towel). That actually made me laugh out loud even though I was proofreading it in the middle of the night.

Tim van den Oudenhoven
Tim van den Oudenhoven
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
A Swedish company that didn't hire a proofreader... Nov 27, 2008

This was actually a bilingual sign outside a factory in Sweden:

Where it should have said

"Arrival Goods"

it became

"Arrival Gods"

Unless this wasn't a mistake of course...

Karen Stokes
Karen Stokes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:03
Member (2003)
French to English
A translation "howler"? Nov 27, 2008

I once "proofread" a menu featuring a fine range of fish dishes including a "pavé de loup" (bass) translated as a "thick wolf roast".

I must say we've always found nice intelligent wolves to be much tastier...

Best,

Karen

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:03
French to Spanish
+ ...
See mine. Nov 27, 2008

Made in Turkey, in French, became: Fabriqué en Dinde.
Very funny.

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Turkeys Nov 27, 2008

My turkey experience was a sign at a college cafeteria: Turkey Sandwich; Sandwich de Turquie.

Nancy

[Edited at 2008-11-27 21:45 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:03
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
The worst is yet to come Nov 27, 2008

Juan Jacob wrote:
Made in Turkey, in French, became: Fabriqué en Dinde.
Very funny.

In Portuguese (Brazilian - accents omitted on account of some systems):
Turkey (the country) = Turquia
turkey (the bird) = peru
Peru (the country) = Peru
peru (teens' slang) = the male sexual organ
(something/someone is...) do peru! (slang) = very good, very bad, or very inconvenient - depending on context

The female (bird), "perua" has its troubles too.
It may mean the bird itself, but also a station-wagon, a van, VW Kombi, etc.
However in slang it may mean a bizarrely overdressed-for-the-occasion woman, with excessive make-up, flamboyant.

Invent your jokes!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the funniest mistake you have come across when proofreading?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »