Any tips on preparing a Word 2000 manual for translation in Trados?
Thread poster: Maria Eugenia Farre
Maria Eugenia Farre
Maria Eugenia Farre  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:26
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 5, 2003

Hi everyone,

I got a direct client who wants me to translate two Word 2000 manuals in Trados. The files are full of screenshots, icons, note indicators and other image files.

Since I usually work with agencies that provide me the files without any images, I'm guessing that removing the images to later reinsert them (including the localized screenshots) is probably a file hygiene measure to prevent mishaps in Trados. Can anyone confirm this? Why is it necessary to remov
... See more
Hi everyone,

I got a direct client who wants me to translate two Word 2000 manuals in Trados. The files are full of screenshots, icons, note indicators and other image files.

Since I usually work with agencies that provide me the files without any images, I'm guessing that removing the images to later reinsert them (including the localized screenshots) is probably a file hygiene measure to prevent mishaps in Trados. Can anyone confirm this? Why is it necessary to remove the images before processing a file in Trados?

Also, do you have any tips and advice on the pitfalls? Are there any error-prone areas that require special care and handling prior to translation, such as index, TOC, cross-links etc?

Thanks in advance for your input,

ME
Collapse

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:26
Dutch to English
+ ...
Trados and big files Nov 5, 2003

Maria Eugenia Farre wrote:

Since I usually work with agencies that provide me the files without any images, I'm guessing that removing the images to later reinsert them (including the localized screenshots) is probably a file hygiene measure to prevent mishaps in Trados. Can anyone confirm this? Why is it necessary to remove the images before processing a file in Trados?

It is not absolutely necessary to remove the images but it will speed things up. It will also ensure that Trados does not 'freeze', but it depends on the version of Trados that you use and your PC capabilities.

Also, do you have any tips and advice on the pitfalls? Are there any error-prone areas that require special care and handling prior to translation, such as index, TOC, cross-links etc?

Work with all codes showing (Tools -> Options -> View -> Fields and All). This will ensure that index markings (i.e. {XE ...}) are visible and you can translate these in the segments straight away. Once you have cleaned the file, generating the index will be easy.

I would also recommend you check the used Styles. If they have been well-defined by your customer, then you should not have any problems regarding fonts that change and such.

All of the above is time-consuming and a pain but well worth it.

Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 17:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
Make sure you prepare the files Nov 5, 2003

As a general rule, these types of manuals have a lot of hidden markers that you need to protect, so preparing the file with Trados Bookmark Handler is a must. You can probably get the tool from the Trados users Yahoo site.

To save on memory resources, make sure you deselect the Drawings option in Tools/Options/View.

HIH,
Ricardo

Maria Eugenia Farre
Maria Eugenia Farre  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:26
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More info on Bookmark Handler? Nov 5, 2003

Ricardo Martinez de la Torre wrote:

As a general rule, these types of manuals have a lot of hidden markers that you need to protect, so preparing the file with Trados Bookmark Handler is a must. You can probably get the tool from the Trados users Yahoo site.

Hi Ricardo

Thanks for your reply. I couldn't find any relevant info on Bookmark handler on either the Trados website or the TW-users ygp. Any other clues? Is Bookmark handler a standalone app or one of the features in Worskpace? (I'm using Trados 5.0 here)

Thanks again
ME

ME

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 23:26
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Big images Nov 5, 2003

Sometimes it's possible to translate even heavily formatted documents with images etc., but you could run into problems when cleaning the files. Trados converts the files from DOC to RTF format and RTF files containing images are MUCH larger than DOC files. I worked on a manual which grew from 7 MB to about 150 MB and cleaning was not possible (at least not via the usual way using Trados Workbench). It wasn't possible to analyse the file either until the images were removed.

Also be
... See more
Sometimes it's possible to translate even heavily formatted documents with images etc., but you could run into problems when cleaning the files. Trados converts the files from DOC to RTF format and RTF files containing images are MUCH larger than DOC files. I worked on a manual which grew from 7 MB to about 150 MB and cleaning was not possible (at least not via the usual way using Trados Workbench). It wasn't possible to analyse the file either until the images were removed.

Also be careful about text boxes.
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:26
German to English
Remove images with this Nov 6, 2003

Imagesoutin.zip

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dejavu-l/files/Macros/

There's a Word macro to remove images from files and another to replace the images. I couldn't find it among the Yahoo Trados files, but it's the same macro, despite being in the DejaVu group.
Kevin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any tips on preparing a Word 2000 manual for translation in Trados?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »