Pagine:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: Which kind of dictionaries do you prefer to use?
Iniziatore argomento: ProZ.com Staff
Khrystene (X)
Khrystene (X)
Australia
Da Polacco a Inglese
+ ...
two kinds... Mar 5, 2010

I use both online and print dictionaries.

Michelle McBride
Michelle McBride  Identity Verified
Regno Unito
Local time: 09:10
Da Giapponese a Inglese
Paper & Electronic! Mar 5, 2010

I have to admit I do prefer using paper dictionary, but I have found a new 'friend' which is the portable electronic gadget that holds 4 x different kinds of dictionaries (Japanese to English, English to Japanese, Dictionary & Character Dictionary).
I got it as a gift about 10 years ago from a relative and it really has made a difference as it's so portable.

I poo-pooed these gadgets at first, but you know what, they're great to have around as well as the paper version! ... See more
I have to admit I do prefer using paper dictionary, but I have found a new 'friend' which is the portable electronic gadget that holds 4 x different kinds of dictionaries (Japanese to English, English to Japanese, Dictionary & Character Dictionary).
I got it as a gift about 10 years ago from a relative and it really has made a difference as it's so portable.

I poo-pooed these gadgets at first, but you know what, they're great to have around as well as the paper version!

Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
Stati Uniti
Local time: 01:10
Membro (2003)
Da Spagnolo a Inglese
+ ...
Hardcopy dictionaries Mar 5, 2010

Some of my best dictionaries are older dictionaries that are not available on-line. Most hardcopy dictionaries have been very carefully vetted. I prefer the results that they give me.

Quality being equal, then speed counts next. Some of the on-line dictionaries are so slow that I can find the word much faster in the hard copy. An example is Dorland's Medical Dictionary. On the other hand, the Merriam-Webster unabridged English dictionary on my computer is is faster and my hard copy
... See more
Some of my best dictionaries are older dictionaries that are not available on-line. Most hardcopy dictionaries have been very carefully vetted. I prefer the results that they give me.

Quality being equal, then speed counts next. Some of the on-line dictionaries are so slow that I can find the word much faster in the hard copy. An example is Dorland's Medical Dictionary. On the other hand, the Merriam-Webster unabridged English dictionary on my computer is is faster and my hard copy is gathering dust.
Collapse

Pagine:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatore(i) di questo Forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which kind of dictionaries do you prefer to use?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »