Pagine:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: Do you proofread your translations on a printout or on-screen?
Iniziatore argomento: ProZ.com Staff
Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finlandia
Local time: 04:14
Membro (2003)
Da Finlandese a Tedesco
+ ...
What about ink? Apr 12, 2011

Most of you are concerned about wasting paper, but the ink is more expensive. For 5 Euros spend on paper I have to spend 20 Euros on ink for my inkjet printer.
But it is worth spent. Many mistakes appear only on a printout, after I have slept a good night's sleep.
Most of the time I get a second person check my translations.

Lucia Moreno Velo
Lucia Moreno Velo  Identity Verified
Spagna
Local time: 03:14
Membro (2010)
Da Francese a Spagnolo
+ ...
On screen, but after at least one day Apr 12, 2011

I proofread on screen, to save both paper and ink. It's true that mistakes show better on print, though.

When I finish a translation, I do a quick revision looking for mistakes highlighted by word (spell and grammar), then go away from the computer and do something else. I try to wait a few days to do the prooreading, but sometimes I have no time, so I do it the next day. This clears my mind and I see mistakes better, specially with long jobs where I think of little else for weeks.<
... See more
I proofread on screen, to save both paper and ink. It's true that mistakes show better on print, though.

When I finish a translation, I do a quick revision looking for mistakes highlighted by word (spell and grammar), then go away from the computer and do something else. I try to wait a few days to do the prooreading, but sometimes I have no time, so I do it the next day. This clears my mind and I see mistakes better, specially with long jobs where I think of little else for weeks.

If I have work with Trados, I do a segment-by-segment revision with the bilingual text. Then I clean and do a final revision with the target text.

I never tried reading out loud, but I do translate out loud, that is, I say out loud the text I'm writting while translating. This helps me write better sounding, real Spanish sentences. I will try revising out loud, though. I think it's a good idea.

I also always tell my clients that someone needs to proofread the text before sending it to the client, but many don't, of course.

Hugs,
Lucia
Collapse

Susanna Martoni
Susanna Martoni  Identity Verified
Italia
Membro (2009)
Da Spagnolo a Italiano
+ ...
Wow Apr 12, 2011

Stéphanie Soudais wrote:

I only print on one-side-used paper (my partner brings it back from where he works), with ecofont*, size 10, and with as little margins and empty spaces as possible. Last ream I bought was more than 5 years ago.

* http://www.ecofont.com/en/products/green/printing/sustainable-printing-using-ecofont-software.html

Stéphanie

Thank you Stéphanie,
I'll consider it.

Evans (X)
Evans (X)
Local time: 02:14
Da Spagnolo a Inglese
+ ...
Like some others, I find reading out loud the best final check Apr 12, 2011

I used always to print out. But now that I use two screens I do a full proofread for comparison purposes. Then another full readthrough, preferably the next day. And finally, I read the whole thing out loud. I started doing this with scripts for recording to make sure they were easy to say out loud for actors or narrators, and found I picked up mistakes that I might not have noticed even on a printout. So now I do this for all translations. This way I not only pick up the smallest error, especia... See more
I used always to print out. But now that I use two screens I do a full proofread for comparison purposes. Then another full readthrough, preferably the next day. And finally, I read the whole thing out loud. I started doing this with scripts for recording to make sure they were easy to say out loud for actors or narrators, and found I picked up mistakes that I might not have noticed even on a printout. So now I do this for all translations. This way I not only pick up the smallest error, especially prepositions, but I also improve the flow of the language considerably.Collapse

Peggy Maeyer
Peggy Maeyer  Identity Verified
Germania
Da Inglese a Tedesco
Thanks everyone! Apr 12, 2011

Thanks everyone for your interesting contributions!
As most of you, I do both on-screen proofreading and proofreading on a printout, but I print only the final version to avoid waste of paper. Not proofreading my translations wouldn't ever cross my mind - well, maybe if I had a nightmare, or if the client explicitly tells me that I need not proofread (which has never happened to me, and I think even then I would proofread to make sure of the quality before I deliver!)

Peggy

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
Cina
Local time: 21:14
Final proofreading on printout if possible, reason see below Apr 12, 2011

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

But it is worth spent. Many mistakes appear only on a printout, after I have slept a good night's sleep.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Danimarca
Membro (2003)
Da Danese a Inglese
+ ...
Try a laser printer Apr 12, 2011

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Most of you are concerned about wasting paper, but the ink is more expensive. For 5 Euros spend on paper I have to spend 20 Euros on ink for my inkjet printer.
Most of the time I get a second person check my translations.

It is well worth the investment in a laser printer if you proofread on paper.

I print out the source too - I have to have something that I can scribble on in pencil!

My printer is eight years old and still going strong. I use two cartidges a year, or slightly less, which cost me something like 33 Euros each, less than 70 per year. Paper varies a bit, but I have just bought several months' supply for 18-19 Euros, and I use less than twice that amount per year.
But I do not have the slightest guilty conscience about the environment on that account, because that is what it takes to ensure the quality of my work!

However, for those who can proofread satisfactorily on on screen, that is a saving too.

Silvia Schulz
Silvia Schulz
Paesi Bassi
Da Inglese a Tedesco
+ ...
Others - both ways Apr 12, 2011

I prefer proofreading on paper (especially after a document has undergone DTP etc.) to see if my style (headlines etc.) is consistent, but unfortunately most of the time I work with file format from clients, which I cannot view properly (inx.ttx or rtf.ttx converted from FrameMaker or Indesign). In that case I would proofread my translation on-screen one day after I finish the translation.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
Regno Unito
Local time: 02:14
Da Francese a Inglese
+ ...
Paper Apr 12, 2011

I always print out my translations for proof reading as I know I miss things when I check on screen. Smaller jobs I would possibly not print out at a push, but I much prefer to see a hard copy! Then there are the formatting issues which don't show on screen and only when you print - how do people get round those if they don't print out? Admittedly this only relates to very complex documents with hidden text, but to my mind it's just not worth the risk of missing something! I used to print out re... See more
I always print out my translations for proof reading as I know I miss things when I check on screen. Smaller jobs I would possibly not print out at a push, but I much prefer to see a hard copy! Then there are the formatting issues which don't show on screen and only when you print - how do people get round those if they don't print out? Admittedly this only relates to very complex documents with hidden text, but to my mind it's just not worth the risk of missing something! I used to print out reference files for ease of consultation too, but have stopped doing this since I've had two screens. I do usually check huge PowerPoint files on two screens too as they use a huge amount of ink and paper and usually have relatively few words per page so are easier to check in situ.

I usually print out the source file too so I can take my checking elsewhere to proof-read in a different position - having suffered from RSI a few years ago, the opportunity to sit in a different position to work for a while should not be underestimated for health reasons alone! Strain on the eyes is also a factor. In saying that, I use my paper (bought as recycled in the first place) on both sides and shred anything confidential for use on my compost, recycling the rest via my local collection scheme. I also buy most of my leisure reading from libraries rather than buying new books, so I feel I am doing my bit for the environment. What really irks me is the reams of junk mail that drops regularly into my letterbox (despite signing up to the Royal Mail scheme and a notice on the letterbox saying "No junk mail" and all those sales leaflets that come in newspapers and magazines - I don't understand why they can't be banned - does anyone ever read them?!

As others have said, you just cannot compromise on quality.
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
Stati Uniti
Local time: 18:14
Membro (2003)
Da Spagnolo a Inglese
+ ...
I used to print them out, but not any more Apr 15, 2011

Now that I have a 24-inch screen, the page looks so normal that it has the same 'feel' as a paper copy.

Even prior to getting the large screen I stopped printing out because entering the changes was so time-consuming. By the time the changes are entered, it is a much more time-consuming process.

Manuela Hoffmann-Maleki (X)
Manuela Hoffmann-Maleki (X)  Identity Verified
Germania
Da Inglese a Tedesco
+ ...
Certified translations are a lot of work... Aug 18, 2011

First I proofread everything twice on screen, then print out and compare line by line with the original. Having made the corrections, I proofread once more on screen. If it is a certified translation, I print it once more and proofread on paper. A certified translation must be absolutely correct. Furthermore, having scanned a document like a school report or a birth certificate into the computer, it might look OK on screen, and sometimes even on the print-out. But after changes (for example, rem... See more
First I proofread everything twice on screen, then print out and compare line by line with the original. Having made the corrections, I proofread once more on screen. If it is a certified translation, I print it once more and proofread on paper. A certified translation must be absolutely correct. Furthermore, having scanned a document like a school report or a birth certificate into the computer, it might look OK on screen, and sometimes even on the print-out. But after changes (for example, removing stamps, seals or signatures and putting text there), the formatting is frequently gone or messed up... It sometimes takes 5, 6, 7 attempts to get it right again, with corresponding proof-reading as other parts of the document tend to vanish in unprintable areas.Collapse

Pagine:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatore(i) di questo Forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you proofread your translations on a printout or on-screen?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »