Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Have any of your CAT tools incorporated artificial intelligence (AI) yet?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Aline Brito
Aline Brito  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:27
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
? Jun 27, 2023

Isn't machine translation artificial intelligence? Don't most CAT tools offer machine translation for those who want it (you can turn it on/off)?

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:27
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
I am just wondering and fearing Jun 27, 2023

Bit off topic, but it seems that AI, incorporated in CAT-tools or not, is taking over our business. Are we still translators, or are we becoming 'AI correctors'?

If this goes on, where is the workmanship we can be proud of, or better said, is there any workmanship left or wanted in the end?

In my honest opinion we are looking at the end of our trade. I still have 3 years to go, and I probably will sing it out, but for my younger colleagues, I would suggest to look out f
... See more
Bit off topic, but it seems that AI, incorporated in CAT-tools or not, is taking over our business. Are we still translators, or are we becoming 'AI correctors'?

If this goes on, where is the workmanship we can be proud of, or better said, is there any workmanship left or wanted in the end?

In my honest opinion we are looking at the end of our trade. I still have 3 years to go, and I probably will sing it out, but for my younger colleagues, I would suggest to look out for another job.

Translators specialized in cardiac surgery, rocket science and such, might have a possibility to survive, but the rest..... (????).

I am a positive character, but I can't close my eyes for the developments. So, sorry for my negative, but as I see it, realistic input.

[Edited at 2023-06-27 22:00 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have any of your CAT tools incorporated artificial intelligence (AI) yet?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »