Thread poster: Iman Tahanan
Iman Tahanan
Iman Tahanan
Local time: 23:09
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Mar 1

I need your opinion.
A person claiming to be the project manager of a company contacted me via a Telegram ID and told me they had a project of 3,000 words and offered the price 1,250 USD. He did not have a corporate email domain and when I insisted, he only sent me an email with a Gmail. He said he had seen profile on another freelancing website.
Do you think it is a scam? What do you suggest I do to make sure? The price he offered seems too high to me.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 21:09
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
200% scam Mar 3

Hello Iman,

Just forget. Companies do have not only corporate email domains but also verifiable other contact details, normally do not contact translators via messengers and do not pay translators 40 cents per word.

Dalia Nour
Kevin Fulton
Gabriele Metzler
Zea_Mays
Joakim Braun
Liviu-Lee Roth
Daniel Fernandes

Iman Tahanan
Iman Tahanan
Local time: 23:09
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 4

Thank you for your explanation

Karen Henry
Karen Henry  Identity Verified
Jamaica
Local time: 14:09
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I've been scammed too!d Apr 22

This past week an alleged translation agency (Spectre ****) contracted me to do a 17 page translation for a high fee. When I asked why they were paying so much, they said it was because it was a rush job. When I asked about the payment method, after submitting the job, they told me I would have to send them US$250 in order for them to produce an ID card for me, so they could verify my identity before sending the payment. I refused and told them they were unethical and downright ridiculous! This ... See more
This past week an alleged translation agency (Spectre ****) contracted me to do a 17 page translation for a high fee. When I asked why they were paying so much, they said it was because it was a rush job. When I asked about the payment method, after submitting the job, they told me I would have to send them US$250 in order for them to produce an ID card for me, so they could verify my identity before sending the payment. I refused and told them they were unethical and downright ridiculous! This is clearly a scam, and I intend to report them to the authorities.

Karen
Collapse

Iman Tahanan
Zea_Mays

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam or not

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »