Bad dialogue list
Thread poster: translation1201
Oct 5, 2011

Hello all,
I am a student of translation currently writing up my MA thesis for which I have chosen to translate an episode of a Spanish webseries. I recently wrote to the producers of the series in order to request a dialogue list of the episode I want to translate. Unfortunately, rather than a dialogue list, I was sent a rather poor transcription of the dialogue exchanges which contains many inconsistencies and which includes no time codes and no information with respect to which charact
... See more
Hello all,
I am a student of translation currently writing up my MA thesis for which I have chosen to translate an episode of a Spanish webseries. I recently wrote to the producers of the series in order to request a dialogue list of the episode I want to translate. Unfortunately, rather than a dialogue list, I was sent a rather poor transcription of the dialogue exchanges which contains many inconsistencies and which includes no time codes and no information with respect to which character is speaking. What is the normal practice in this situation? Should the inconsistences be corrected and time codes and speaker I.D be included in the translated version?

Also, is it absolutely necessary that a dialogue list include time codes?

Thanks to whoever responds
Collapse

Just Opera
Just Opera
Belgium
Local time: 14:39
French to English
+ ...
Not quite clear what your question is... Oct 6, 2011

But, yes in theory a dialog list implies timecodes included (but often only the start of the spoken phrase), i.e. subtitles often on the screen longer than the spoken phrase to account for reading speeds

In practice, it's often down to working with transcriptions without timecodes, I was used to doing spotting with only dialog transcribed (makes work faster), a copy of the film and corrected the (frequent) transcription errors by ear.

It's a lot of work for the produce
... See more
But, yes in theory a dialog list implies timecodes included (but often only the start of the spoken phrase), i.e. subtitles often on the screen longer than the spoken phrase to account for reading speeds

In practice, it's often down to working with transcriptions without timecodes, I was used to doing spotting with only dialog transcribed (makes work faster), a copy of the film and corrected the (frequent) transcription errors by ear.

It's a lot of work for the producers of films to get someone to mark the timecodes when they consider that to be included in the work of subtitle spotting anyway.

Best

J

[Edited at 2011-10-06 19:44 GMT]
Collapse

Elizabeth Adams
Elizabeth Adams  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:39
Member (2002)
Russian to English
It depends Oct 6, 2011

on what you want to use it for.

If you just need help hearing what the characters are saying, what you have is plenty. If you need to publish parts of it in your thesis, you'll have to clean it up first. I'm not sure exactly what issues you're encountering, but I've found that client-furnished dialogue lists usually deviate somewhat from what is actually said.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bad dialogue list

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »