questions about subtitling work
Thread poster: lxh
lxh
lxh
Apr 12, 2007

I am interested in subtitling job but at present I am new to subtitling job, anybody can tell me about subtitling work?

1) the client usually provide the English (source language) subtitles in Word file or only provide the movie with/without source language subtitles?

2) the work includes subtitles translation and putting the translated subtitles onto the movie?

3) does this job need a subtitling software? which software is recommended for English to Chi
... See more
I am interested in subtitling job but at present I am new to subtitling job, anybody can tell me about subtitling work?

1) the client usually provide the English (source language) subtitles in Word file or only provide the movie with/without source language subtitles?

2) the work includes subtitles translation and putting the translated subtitles onto the movie?

3) does this job need a subtitling software? which software is recommended for English to Chinese subtitling?

4) what's the rate for English to Chinese? usually pay per minutes?

Thank you!
Collapse

Herminia Herrándiz Espuny
Herminia Herrándiz Espuny  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
It depends... Apr 12, 2007

lxh wrote:

3) does this job need a subtitling software? which software is recommended for English to Chinese subtitling?

Thank you!

1, 2 and 3: it depends on the client and the project. Sometimes you get only a Word file with all the subtitles and timecodes and you only have to translate that file with or without seeing the movie, that also depends on the project itself. There's also the possibility to receive only the movie in OV and that the client asks you to "extract" the original sscript and then, using a subtitle program, include the subtitles on the movie always keeping in mind the length and timecodes for every single subtitle.

4: sorry, no help here, Chinese is not one of my languages

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:37
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Answers Apr 12, 2007

lxh wrote:

Several possibilities here:
a) They may provide the script in word - too often it doesn't match the final edition - and the film.
b) They might give you the film on DVD, VHS, or electronic file, and nothing else.
c) They might send you just the subtitles (with or without spotting) to translate - you'll never see the film

Three successive operations here:
a) Translation,
b) Spotting - marking the timecode "in" and "out" for each subtitle,
c) Creating an overlay subtitles "video" file (so the user may turn subtitles on/off while watching), or burning subtitles on the video, which will render a DVD or video file like a subtitled VHS.

Only if you intend to do steps (b) and (c) on the previous answer. All I know about Chinese involves food. An excellent freeware starter for subtitling that may get you professional-looking results is Subtitle Workshop, downloadable from http://www.urusoft.net .

You'll be amazed at the range of rates for subtitling work. AFAIK most pay per minute of total playing time, but there are some that pay per subtitle.

If you need any kind of technical information about video, search in http://www.videohelp.com . Chances are you will find whatever you are looking for.

Good luck!

lxh
lxh
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks and another question Apr 13, 2007

Thank you for your replies and now I am still trying to understand the subtitling software that I can use and by the way, those subtitling software are the same for any language combination subtitling? or they only have the difference between language versions?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

questions about subtitling work

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »