Inga Jokubauske  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:14
Member (2011)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Jan 29, 2016

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know a solution to the problem I currently have with SDL Trados 2014? At the end of each sentence there is a double space. Source text does not have those double spaces. I do not add a space before confirming the segment. Full stop .CTRL+Enter

Any ideas how to get rid fo them? Many thanks.

Nicole Coesel
Nicole Coesel  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:14
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Inga, Jan 29, 2016

I once experienced a similar issue (in Trados Studio 2011) which was actually quite easily resolved with 'find and replace'. It took me by surprise, but it did do the trick for me.

Hope it does the same for you

Yaotl Altan

Inga Jokubauske
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Find and replace what? Jan 29, 2016

Nicole Coesel wrote:

I once experienced a similar issue (in Trados Studio 2011) which was actually quite easily resolved with 'find and replace'. It took me by surprise, but it did do the trick for me.

Hope it does the same for you

Hi Nicole,

Thanks for your answer. I am not sure I understand though... Find and replace what exactly?

Basically my problem is that Trados automatically adds a whitespace character after each sentence and somehow this results in double space in a translated document.

Anyone knows how to "instruct" Trados to stop adding this extra space?

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:14
English to Russian
Do you use a TMS along with Jan 29, 2016

your Trados?

Inga Jokubauske
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nope Jan 30, 2016

Stepan Konev wrote:

your Trados?

No, I don't. I've googled that this might cause problems, but not in my case.

Elham Sharifi
Elham Sharifi
Local time: 15:44
Member (2015)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Replace two spaces with one space Jan 30, 2016

Find and replace what exactly?

Hello Inga,
I think the best solution is to replace two spaces with one space, then Trados finds two spaces " " after each sentence and replace it with one space " ".

Inga Jokubauske
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Single space at the end of segment Jan 30, 2016

Elham Sharifi wrote:

Hello Inga,
I think the best solution is to replace two spaces with one space, then Trados finds two spaces " " after each sentence and replace it with one space " ".

Thanks for your input, Elham. The problem is, there is only a single space at the end of each segment, that appears there by default. There is no space at the begining of a segment. However, once the target document is opened, there are two spaces after each sentence.

I have followed Nicole's advice and have used Find/Replace function, replacing "full stop+space" with a "full stop". This is a better solution than replacing each double space manually, however, once every few segments the message appears, stating: "Segment start/end cannot be deleted" and I have to manually adjust those segments.

Therefore, if there is a simplier solution, alowing to override what appears to be the default setting in the first place, I would very much appreciate if you could please share your ideas. Trados is being too helpful, but I would like to find the way to say: thank you, but no, thank you, dear (gritting my teeth) beloved Trados.

Thanks everyone for your ideas so far!

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
Find and replace Jan 30, 2016

I don't use CAT tools and am still using Word 2007, but there must be something similar in newer versions of Word:

Under FIND and REPLACE, select SPECIAL at the bottom and then select NON-BREAKING SPACE twice from the pull down menu and replace it with one non-breaking space...

[Edited at 2016-01-30 13:33 GMT]

Luiz Barucke
Luiz Barucke  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:14
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
Delete any space at the end of segments Jan 31, 2016

Inga Jokubauske wrote:

Elham Sharifi wrote:

Hello Inga,

Thanks for your input, Elham. The problem is, there is only a single space at the end of each segment, that appears there by default. There is no space at the begining of a segment. However, once the target document is opened, there are two spaces after each sentence.

I have followed Nicole's advice and have used Find/Replace function, replacing "full stop+space" with a "full stop". This is a better solution than replacing each double space manually, however, once every few segments the message appears, stating: "Segment start/end cannot be deleted" and I have to manually adjust those segments.

Therefore, if there is a simplier solution, alowing to override what appears to be the default setting in the first place, I would very much appreciate if you could please share your ideas. Trados is being too helpful, but I would like to find the way to say: thank you, but no, thank you, dear (gritting my teeth) beloved Trados.

Thanks everyone for your ideas so far!

I'm not sure if I understood, but you mention there's only a single space at the end of each segment on Trados. But no space is needed at the end of segments, because all CAT tools (including Trados) add an automatic space there when exporting to a target file. So if there's a single space at the end of each segment already, there will be a double space in exported document. If Trados is adding this end space, it seems to be a bug.

Replacing "punctuation marks + space" for "punctuation mark" would help, but not solve the issue entirely, because not every segment is necessarily ended by a punctuation mark (titles for example).

The safer solution would be replacing all double spaces for single spaces on target document, so you would be sure everything is okay.

[Editada em 2016-01-31 11:25 GMT]

Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Replacing period + space seems dangerous to me Jan 31, 2016

Inga Jokubauske wrote:

I have followed Nicole's advice and have used Find/Replace function, replacing "full stop+space" with a "full stop". This is a better solution than replacing each double space manually

First, why can't you just replace double spaces with single spaces in one go? At least in Norwegian double spaces are a no-no, and is one of the things I check for, i.e. I replace all double spaces with single space.

But there is another problem: If I replaced period + single space, I would end up with instances where there would not be any space after a period before the next sentence, and that I not something I would want in my translations at least.

But in the end, it seems strange that you have a space at the end of a segment. The normal for Studio is no space at the end.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
But don't do it automatically... Jan 31, 2016

.. but manually (Find Next)....

LegalTransform wrote:

I don't use CAT tools and am still using Word 2007, but there must be something similar in newer versions of Word:

Under FIND and REPLACE, select SPECIAL at the bottom and then select NON-BREAKING SPACE twice from the pull down menu and replace it with one non-breaking space...

[Edited at 2016-01-30 13:33 GMT]

Inga Jokubauske
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This is exactly what is happening Jan 31, 2016

But no space is needed at the end of segments, because all CAT tools (including Trados) add an automatic space there when exporting to a target file. So if there's a single space at the end of each segment already, there will be a double space in exported document. If Trados is adding this end space, it seems to be a bug.

[Editada em 2016-01-31 11:25 GMT]

Bug, hmmmm. I emailed SDL, will see if they come back to me.

[Edited at 2016-01-31 21:18 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Luiz Feb 1, 2016

Luiz Barucke wrote:
But no space is needed at the end of segments, because all CAT tools (including Trados) add an automatic space there when exporting to a target file.

I don't think this is true, though. Most of the time, the CAT tool does not add the space. Instead, the CAT tool simply refrains from including the existing in-between-sentences space when displaying it in the editor.

In other words, if the source text is "The rain in Spain.[space]The plains in Spain.", then the CAT tool will show it in the editor as "The rain in Spain." and "The plains in Spain.", and will simply not include the [space] anywhere in the editor. Then, when creating the target file, it replaces "The rain in Spain." with its translation (e.g. "Ethay ainray inway Ainspay."), and replaces "The plains in Spain" with its translation (e.g. "Ethay ainsplay inway Ainspay."), but it leaves the [space] exactly where it was -- it doesn't add it.

[Of course, I understand (as you do) what's happening to the OP is that Trados is adding spaces in the editor as well, so in her editor it says e.g. "Ethay ainray inway Ainspay.[space]", so that when the target file is generated, she gets "Ethay ainray inway Ainspay.[space][space]Ethay ainsplay inway Ainspay."]

[Edited at 2016-02-01 09:59 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
More details needed Feb 1, 2016

When you say "the problem I currently have", do you mean it was working perfectly, and now it's not?

Are the extra spaces appearing in the target segments in Studio or in your target file only?

What is the source file type? .doc .docx or something else?

What happens if you confirm the segment using the icon in the ribbon instead of the shortcut?

Linda Bestwalter
Linda Bestwalter
Germany
German to English
Missing whitespaces at end of sentence in exported Word file Mar 15, 2017

I have the opposite problem - when I export a Word file, there is no space at the end of a sentence although there are spaces in the imported file. Is there an option in Trados to add a whitespace at the end of each segment?

Thanks for any suggestions

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Double space after each sentence

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »