In SDL Trados Studio 2021, is there any way to batch-copy source and duplicate target?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 13:40
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jul 30, 2021

In SDL Trados Studio 2021, is there any way to batch-copy source and duplicate target?

It's a MTPE project on almost 100,000 words with a lot of tags for most of the segments. The machine-translated words often are misplaced in the target, so the idea is to still keep the original machine-translated contents and create a duplicated version beneath (Shift+Enter to create blank row, then copy there) where I copy the exact source with the words in correct places (although it's the Engl
... See more

It's a MTPE project on almost 100,000 words with a lot of tags for most of the segments. The machine-translated words often are misplaced in the target, so the idea is to still keep the original machine-translated contents and create a duplicated version beneath (Shift+Enter to create blank row, then copy there) where I copy the exact source with the words in correct places (although it's the English source words). Then I can refer to the machine-translated contents immediately above, in the same segment.
Collapse

James Plastow
James Plastow  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:40
Member (2020)
Japanese to English
autohotkey Jul 31, 2021

A simple autohotkey script would do this

Figure out each key stroke needed to perform the action you need (sounds like, ^a, ^x. ^{insert}, {right}, +{enter}, ^v, {down})
add a "sleep" of 50 or 100 ms between each keystroke
use loop to loop the script

Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 13:40
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Where in Studio do I add the autohotkey script? Aug 1, 2021

If I would go for your solution, it's the first time I try a autohotkey script. Where do I add it in Studio 2021?

[Edited at 2021-08-01 21:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-08-01 21:10 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:40
English to Russian
AHK script Aug 1, 2021

@James Plastow
It was helpful indeed If Fredrik Pettersson was familiar with AHK, he would either write a script on his own or ask for it from others. Obviously, he is not.

@Fredrik Pettersson
1. First, you need to install AHK (https://www.autohotkey.com/).
2. Second, create a blank text document anywhere on
... See more
@James Plastow
It was helpful indeed If Fredrik Pettersson was familiar with AHK, he would either write a script on his own or ask for it from others. Obviously, he is not.

@Fredrik Pettersson
1. First, you need to install AHK (https://www.autohotkey.com/).
2. Second, create a blank text document anywhere on your computer (*.txt), copy the following text from # to Return inclusively and paste it into the blank txt file:

#i::
InputBox,Var,Paste source after translation (courtesy of Stepan Konev), How many segments do you want to process?
loop, % Var
{
Send, ^a
Sleep 50
Send, ^x
Sleep 50
Send, ^{insert}
Sleep 50
Send, ^v
Sleep 50
Send, +{enter}
Sleep 50
Send, ^a
Sleep 50
Send {down}
Sleep 50
}
Return

3. Save the file and change its extension from txt to ahk.
4. Double click the ahk file and check if its icon appears in your system tray.
5. If yes, go to Trados, Options, AutoSuggest, uncheck the 'Enable AutoSuggest'.
6. Open your file, put the cursor anywhere in the first target segment and press Win+I.
7. Input the number of segments you want to process.
8. Press Enter and behold.

[Edited at 2021-08-02 01:23 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:40
English to Russian
Aug 1, 2021

If there are much more than one hundred segments in your project, I recommend that you input 100 to process in 100-segment batches. Generally, you can input all 4567 [segments] at once, but remember that you can't smoothly stop a looped script when it is running. If something goes wrong, you will have to force-stop the script by right-clicking its icon and selecting 'Exit', and then recover your file. Once you are done with the script, you may enable AutoSuggest again. If you run the script when... See more
If there are much more than one hundred segments in your project, I recommend that you input 100 to process in 100-segment batches. Generally, you can input all 4567 [segments] at once, but remember that you can't smoothly stop a looped script when it is running. If something goes wrong, you will have to force-stop the script by right-clicking its icon and selecting 'Exit', and then recover your file. Once you are done with the script, you may enable AutoSuggest again. If you run the script when AutoSuggest is enabled, it won't work correctly because the AutoSuggest dropdown menus interrupt the script flow.

[Edited at 2021-08-02 01:28 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »