Thread poster: Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:20
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Aug 30, 2021

I have a client who has the nasty habit of using multiple colours in one sentence to emphasize the importance of certain words/parts.

My question is: 'Does Trados have a feature to colour sentences?" If it does, I haven't found it yet.

I work with Studio 2019.

Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Display the formatting tags Aug 30, 2021

Under "View" click on the icon that toggles the display of formatting tags. Then you can copy the tags to the translation.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:20
English to Russian
Do you need to display colors or tags? Aug 30, 2021

Colors I presume?..

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Colours Aug 31, 2021

Stepan Konev wrote:

Colors I presume?..

The sentences start in black, followed by some blah, blah in red (or another colour) and end in black again.

My workaround now is I copy the source (complete with colours) to the target segment and translate the English into Dutch. This proces takes me too much time.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Ok, I got it Aug 31, 2021

First, you should go to Options > Editor > Formatting display style: > select 'Show all formatting and tags' or 'Show formatting but hide recognized formatting tags' to see colors in Editor. But I guess you have done it because you already see the colored text in the source segment.
If so, now you can select any target text you need colored, then press and hold Ctrl, then click the colored text in source. The same color will apply to your selection.

Even if you prefer to hide
... See more
First, you should go to Options > Editor > Formatting display style: > select 'Show all formatting and tags' or 'Show formatting but hide recognized formatting tags' to see colors in Editor. But I guess you have done it because you already see the colored text in the source segment.
If so, now you can select any target text you need colored, then press and hold Ctrl, then click the colored text in source. The same color will apply to your selection.

Even if you prefer to hide formatting so that you only see tags with no colors (Formatting display style: 'Show all tags but do not show formatting'), you still can use selection/Ctrl+click to insert tags into target. In this case you have to click one of the paired tags or anywhere between those paired tags. On some rare occasions, this trick does not work when you click between the tags (hyperlinks for example), that is why clicking one of the tags is always a more reliable method than clicking any text between the tags. But in most cases both give the same effect: apply source formatting to target either by tags or by colors.

[Edited at 2021-08-31 14:00 GMT]
Collapse

Yaotl Altan

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Sep 1, 2021

Stepan Konev wrote:

Even if you prefer to hide formatting so that you only see tags with no colors (Formatting display style: 'Show all tags but do not show formatting'), you still can use selection/Ctrl+click to insert tags into target. In this case you have to click one of the paired tags or anywhere between those paired tags. On some rare occasions, this trick does not work when you click between the tags (hyperlinks for example), that is why clicking one of the tags is always a more reliable method than clicking any text between the tags. But in most cases both give the same effect: apply source formatting to target either by tags or by colors.

[Edited at 2021-08-31 14:00 GMT]

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Stepan Sep 7, 2021

Forgot to tell you, the 'trick' only works when you select 'Show all formatting and tags'

Thanks again.

Rob

CATHERINE GROSY

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Not exactly. It works in all three modes. Sep 7, 2021

Let's see... All three options in action:
ezgif.com-gif-maker

arterm

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
???? Sep 7, 2021

Not in my version (2019). Selecting "Show formatting but hide recognized formatting tags" gives no results.

Bernadett Kalocsa
Bernadett Kalocsa  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 02:20
Member (2013)
Spanish to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
It works! Mar 30, 2022

Nice! Thank you soooo much for sharing this. In version 2021 it works!

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:20
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Link Mar 30, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

Let's see... All three options in action:
ezgif.com-gif-maker

Hello, Stepan:

Have you uploaded that video somewhere? Youtube perhaps. It would be great o learn from it, step by step, because it's too fast here!

Thank you in advance.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Video Mar 30, 2022

Yaotl Altan wrote:
Have you uploaded that video somewhere?
Yeap.
I had to make the video as short as possible to convert it into a gif file and publish here. But I still have it at 100% rate. It's here: https://youtu.be/xt8nVXyaHS4

[Edited at 2022-03-30 20:51 GMT]

Yaotl Altan
Elena Feriani
CATHERINE GROSY

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:20
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanx! Mar 31, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

...It's here: https://youtu.be/xt8nVXyaHS4

[Edited at 2022-03-30 20:51 GMT]

Thank you, Stepan.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Text colour

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »